Is this enough power?

I'm reading in a bunch of forums about the need for "quality" power supplies. I'm wondering if my current PSU is sufficient for my current system:

Athlon 64 3000 939
Abit AV8
2x512mb Corsair Value Select PC3200 Dual Channel
40 gb 7200 rpm hard drive
1 Lite-on CD-RW
1 Lite-on 8x DVD-RW
Floppy drive
Radeon 9600xt
MSI TV @nywhere Master TV tuner
3 40mm case fans

PSU: <b>Enlight 420w EN-8420934</b>
18A on 12v rail

I plan on getting a 160gb SATA drive soon.
10 answers Last reply
More about power
  1. Well your wattage is good but id monitor your 5v and 12v rails to make sure they dont go +-5%. Otherwise, get a better one.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>
  2. I'm bumping my old post because I'm considering upgrading,

Current specs:
    Athlon 64 3000 939
    Abit AV8
    2x512mb Corsair Value Select PC3200 Dual Channel
    40 gb 7200 rpm hard drive
    160 gb SATA hard drive
    1 Lite-on CD-RW
    1 Lite-on 8x DVD-RW
    Floppy drive
    Radeon 9600xt
    MSI TV @nywhere Master TV tuner
    3 40mm case fans
    PSU: Enlight 420w EN-8420934 18A on 12v rail

PC has been working fine for the past year and a half.

Planned upgrade:
    New PCI-Express mobo
    1 x 7600 GT

Everything else stays the same. Will the PSU be able to handle the new video card? Will it handle 2 7600 GTs in SLI mode?
    I have a couple 350W PSUs laying around, I can add one of them to run case fans, floppy drive and optical drives.

I use this http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp to calculate required wattage at 276w with one video card.
  3. if that PSU has 1 12v rail with 18A, i think u'll hit borderline since 7600GT's arnt power hungry (no extra power required) but it will handle 1 7600GT no prob, with 2 you may have an issue
  4. Id say its fine, but add another card and you'll be pushing it.
    Why upgrade your mobo just to upgrade your video card? You should just buy a AGP card and upgrade your mobo when you upgrade your cpu. Ive seen 6800xt's for like $74 after rebate. You cant go wrong with that and it will hold you over for a bit. Just something to think about. Im waiting for the next big thing. Conroe? 65nm Athlons running ddr3? Before I upgrade my mobo, ram, cpu, ps, etc.
    Just something to think about.
  5. hes right too because well...in th elong run u;ll eventually upgrade the mobo. if ur gonna upgrade th emobo get a high quality, one that will last u a few years.
  6. I think I have that power supply - well one that is just like it.

If this is yours...

Compare the specs to Thermaltake TT-420AD / W0009R very similiar... this is the unit I have. I think they share the same Highpower HPC-420 guts.

If you get SLI the dual PS (or "poor-mans dual-rail", as I like to call it) it would not be a bad idea since you would be close to max and HPC-420 is known to sag voltage quite a bit when loaded. Then you can brag about having SLI GPU and SLI power supplies :wink:
  7. The new AGP card is an option, but the AGP equivalents to the PCI-E versions tend to be more expensive. Can't find an AGP 6800XT on PriceWatch or PriceGrabber or Newegg, alll PCI-E. Anyway the AGP Radeon X800GTO would be preferable, the PowerColor is $155 at Newegg. You're right, something for me to think about.
  8. Yeah your right, they seem to have disappeared in agp fast. My buddy does have a 6800xt agp, so I know they exist.
    The best I could find for $100 on newegg is this. After rebate of course.
    I was skeptical about rebates too, but Ive recieved 2 outta 2 in less than 4 weeks.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102666
  9. if u want a 6800XT i believe look for 6800XTreme from XFX, im not sure go for a 6600GT, amazing card for the money
  10. Hmmm, a PSU thread turned into a video card discussion. Anyway, I want to move from a 17" CRT to a 19" widescreen LCD, so I need a card that can handle the higher resolutions. If I upgrade now, I won't upgrade again for another year or so.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components