Fortron 550 FSP550-60PLN 20 or 24pin connector?

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Wanting to put this onto an asus a7n8x-d mobo and need to know if I would require a 24-20 pin adapter. Thanks..

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
PLN means something, but I don't remember what. It used to be FSP had a 530W and 550W power supply that were nearly identicle, except the 530W was 20-pin and the 550W was 24-pin.

If you had a picture it would help. Also, Newegg used to advertise the 24-pin version as dual-CPU compatable without telling you it was 24-pin.

If you got a 24-pin by mistake, it would still be handy for later board upgrades (24-pin power on most new boards). There are the adapters you mentioned, but it may be possible to plug in a 24-pin power supply simply by hanging the extra 4-pins off one side (the holes themselves are shaped so that the power connector only fits in the proper orientation anyway).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Well could not do a goole on PLN but was able to fine that this PSU is 24 pin and does not come with adapter in the retail box, figures. The BS 500 does so why cant this?

Anywho been really wanting this FSP550 for it has MASSIVE heatsinks on it, found a revie on it somewhere and now cannot find it.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think the 530 and 550 use the same hardware, just a different connector. The reason I say that is because Fortron rates them both for 600W peak. But like I said, you can buy an adapter, or try putting a 24-pin connector into a 20-pin header by hanging the 4 pins off the side.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Yeah Ill try that, there is PCB space on my mobo to such a thing if needed, just worried it will pop out when Im not looking. Is there any pic you know of that I can review this hang off procedure?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It would be just the opposite of Tom's Hardware's pictures of a 20-pin power supply connected to a 24-pin board!

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Hmm could you give me that link of those pics? Must have missed that article.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It would take me just as long to look up old articles as you.