Case recommendation?

amoretto

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2005
I'm trying to customize my first PC, but have no idea on what case to get. I'm searching newegg and there are so many different manufacturers. I heard Lian-Li and Thermaltake are the best, but I'm not sure. I'm also looking for one that offers the best cooling. Anyone have any suggestions?

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
If you have the bucks Lian-Li makes the best cases by a long shot. Next up is probably thermaltake but the price tag is still sort of high.

If you are on a budget focus on the guts and not the case. Save case expenses for last. A $20 case will hold ur mobo and hds just as well as a $200 case.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The classic Chieftec Dragon is highly modifyable and relatively innexpensive.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

amoretto

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2005
Thanks for the help. Can you guys also recommend a good PSU and memory? I'm on a budget of about $2000 so i'm trying to customize the best putter I can. Currently i'm thinking about an Athlon 64 FX-55, ASUS A8N Nforce4, and probably the Lian-Li Case you suggested. I'm probably keep my current video and sound card because I don't feel i'm not need of an upgrade at this moment.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
The best PSU that I have ever owned is the Thermaltake 680W but your going to pay around $160.00 for it. Its worth it especially building the system that your building. I have a power humgry Intel 3.4 scoket 775 Overclocked to 4.2 and had it as high as 4.8Ghz. If the PSU wasnt as stable as it is there is no way that this system could run at these speeds.

Intel P4 550(3.4)<font color=red>@4.2 posted 4.8</font color=red>
ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
Ballistix PC2 5300@<font color=red>DDR2 780</font color=red>
ATI Radeon X800XL <font color=red>459/609</font color=red>
TT 680W PSU

G

If that seems to expensive you could go for the FSP blue storm 500w, it's around $90 to $100, and Crashman highly recommends them :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>
<pre> Always remember to keep testicles away from live wiring </pre><p>

G

<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-934&depa=0" target="_new"> I love clickies </A>

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
The blue storm is a good PSU. You wouldnt have any problems with that one. The only reason that I can think of that you would consider going with one as big as I had mentioned would be if you were using SLI and a butt load of other components.

ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
TT 680W PSU

G

Well I'd agree with mozz, depends what else you have in there. Unless you're using SLI, 500w should probably be ok.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
680w is a waste of money. It's more than any need.
If you insist on taking such a strong stance on an issue then you need to get your facts straight. Your wrong in more ways than one. If you have never seen one of these PSU's in action how would you know if its a waste of money or not? PSU's are not thought of as being the most crucial compnent in a system. The PSU is probably the MOST important component in a system. Watt for Watt the TT 680 is cheaper than most quality PSU's. It is extremely stable which allows for really super performance. I broke the 5Ghz barrier with my P4 550(3.4) recently and it wouldnt have been possible without a super stable power supply. The other thing about this PSU is that it doesnt get worked as hard or pushed as far as other PSU's. In case you didnt know this, heat is the enemy of your system as well as your electricity bill. This PSU doesnt put off near the heat as the 480W I was using before.

ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
TT 680W PSU

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
I agree.. You never know when or if you may go SLI and add 6 HDD's! Always have mroe than you need, Or your going to waste money buying another PSU!

"If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a
wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!"

"Battling Gimps and Dimbulbs HERE at THGC"