I'm not quite sure how to phrase my question, I'm still learning
'puters, so please, bear with me.

I have two PC's; one running XP Pro S/P2 and the other, W98SE. I would
like to network them so I can use the W98 unit as a server for a
printer, and some programs. If what I understand correctly what I've
read about networking, all I need do is install a network card in each
unit, and do a direct hook up (they're both in the same room).

Also, I understand that I must set up the printer as a line unit.

Is this correct, or did I misunderstand, and over-simplify?

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

TIA

"Al A. Bama" <downsouth@home.erg> wrote in message
| I'm not quite sure how to phrase my question, I'm still learning
| 'puters, so please, bear with me.
|
| I have two PC's; one running XP Pro S/P2 and the other, W98SE. I would
| like to network them so I can use the W98 unit as a server for a
| printer, and some programs. If what I understand correctly what I've
| read about networking, all I need do is install a network card in each
| unit, and do a direct hook up (they're both in the same room).
|
| Also, I understand that I must set up the printer as a line unit.
|
| Is this correct, or did I misunderstand, and over-simplify?
|
| Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.
|
| TIA

Have a look at www.ezlan.net you'll find your network questions answered
there. As far as "serving" applications You'd need a server OS and
applications written to be accessed in such an environment.

--
Doug

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

In article <2nnqb1dnm391dt2candegeofvkoqbne8v7@4ax.com>, Al A. Bama
<downsouth@home.erg> wrote:
>I'm not quite sure how to phrase my question, I'm still learning
>'puters, so please, bear with me.
>
>I have two PC's; one running XP Pro S/P2 and the other, W98SE. I would
>like to network them so I can use the W98 unit as a server for a
>printer, and some programs. If what I understand correctly what I've
>read about networking, all I need do is install a network card in each
>unit, and do a direct hook up (they're both in the same room).
>
>Also, I understand that I must set up the printer as a line unit.
>
>Is this correct, or did I misunderstand, and over-simplify?
>
>Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.
>
>TIA

I don't know what a "line unit" is, but I can tell you how to network
the computers and share the printer.

There are two ways to connect the computers to each other:

1. Directly, using a crossover Ethernet cable. A regular Ethernet
cable won't work for a computer-to-computer connection.

2. Through a hub, switch, or broadband router, using two regular
Ethernet cables.

Run XP's Network Setup Wizard on both computers. It will configure
them for networking and enable File and Printer Sharing. I've written
a web page to get you started:

XP ICS - Starting the Network Setup Wizard
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/networksetupwiz.htm

Install the printer on W98SE as a network printer. You'll need either
a CD with Windows 98 drivers for the printer or a copy of the drivers
downloaded from the printer manufacturer's web site.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that you want to use XP Pro as
a server for some programs. Most programs have to be installed on
W98SE to run on W98SE -- you can't run them by executing files that
are stored on XP Pro. The installation process copies files to the
hard disk and creates entries in the Windows registry database.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Thanks to those responding. Will let the group know how it all turns
out.

Again, Thanks.