A Networking Question

I'm not quite sure how to phrase my question, I'm still learning
'puters, so please, bear with me.

I have two PC's; one running XP Pro S/P2 and the other, W98SE. I would
like to network them so I can use the W98 unit as a server for a
printer, and some programs. If what I understand correctly what I've
read about networking, all I need do is install a network card in each
unit, and do a direct hook up (they're both in the same room).

Also, I understand that I must set up the printer as a line unit.

Is this correct, or did I misunderstand, and over-simplify?

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

TIA
3 answers Last reply
More about networking question

    "Al A. Bama" <downsouth@home.erg> wrote in message
    | I'm not quite sure how to phrase my question, I'm still learning
    | 'puters, so please, bear with me.
    |
    | I have two PC's; one running XP Pro S/P2 and the other, W98SE. I would
    | like to network them so I can use the W98 unit as a server for a
    | printer, and some programs. If what I understand correctly what I've
    | read about networking, all I need do is install a network card in each
    | unit, and do a direct hook up (they're both in the same room).
    |
    | Also, I understand that I must set up the printer as a line unit.
    |
    | Is this correct, or did I misunderstand, and over-simplify?
    |
    | Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.
    |
    | TIA

    Have a look at www.ezlan.net you'll find your network questions answered
    there. As far as "serving" applications You'd need a server OS and
    applications written to be accessed in such an environment.

    --
    Doug

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    In article <2nnqb1dnm391dt2candegeofvkoqbne8v7@4ax.com>, Al A. Bama
    <downsouth@home.erg> wrote:
    >I'm not quite sure how to phrase my question, I'm still learning
    >'puters, so please, bear with me.
    >
    >I have two PC's; one running XP Pro S/P2 and the other, W98SE. I would
    >like to network them so I can use the W98 unit as a server for a
    >printer, and some programs. If what I understand correctly what I've
    >read about networking, all I need do is install a network card in each
    >unit, and do a direct hook up (they're both in the same room).
    >
    >Also, I understand that I must set up the printer as a line unit.
    >
    >Is this correct, or did I misunderstand, and over-simplify?
    >
    >Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.
    >
    >TIA

    I don't know what a "line unit" is, but I can tell you how to network
    the computers and share the printer.

    There are two ways to connect the computers to each other:

    1. Directly, using a crossover Ethernet cable. A regular Ethernet
    cable won't work for a computer-to-computer connection.

    2. Through a hub, switch, or broadband router, using two regular
    Ethernet cables.

    Run XP's Network Setup Wizard on both computers. It will configure
    them for networking and enable File and Printer Sharing. I've written
    a web page to get you started:

    XP ICS - Starting the Network Setup Wizard
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/networksetupwiz.htm

    Install the printer on W98SE as a network printer. You'll need either
    a CD with Windows 98 drivers for the printer or a copy of the drivers
    downloaded from the printer manufacturer's web site.

    I'm not sure what you mean when you say that you want to use XP Pro as
    a server for some programs. Most programs have to be installed on
    W98SE to run on W98SE -- you can't run them by executing files that
    are stored on XP Pro. The installation process copies files to the
    hard disk and creates entries in the Windows registry database.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Thanks to those responding. Will let the group know how it all turns
    out.

    Again, Thanks.

Networking Printers Windows XP