Windows XP not opening at startup

I have Windows XP and last night I could not get my desktop and and
windows after signing in.

--
Sitnlisten
6 answers Last reply

    What specifically happens when you log on? Any error messages?

    "Sitnlisten" <Sitnlisten.1r70dn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > I have Windows XP and last night I could not get my desktop and and
    > windows after signing in.
    >

    > --
    > Sitnlisten

    I had a similar problem recently where I would log on to Windows XP, however
    when the PC had finished booting I had no Start button, taskbar or desktop
    buttons. I managed to resolve this by going into Add/Remove Programs and
    deleting all the Windows Hotfixes that had been upgraded on my PC. This
    resolved the problem.

    If these are the same symptoms that you are experiencing you will need to
    follow the follwing process to open the Add/Remove Programs wizard.

    Ctrl-Alt-Del on the blank desktop screen.
    Task Manager opens
    Click on the File menu and then New Task(run)
    Click browse and browse to Documents and Settings -> Administrator -> Start
    Menu -> Accessories -> Command Prompt
    Click open to open the Command prompt
    type cd..
    type cd..
    type cd windows
    type cd system32
    thype contorl appwiz.cpl
    This will open the Add/Remove programs wizard
    Now delete all the unrecognised Windows hotfix programs and reboot

    "Sitnlisten" wrote:

    > I have Windows XP and last night I could not get my desktop and and
    > windows after signing in.
    >

    > --
    > Sitnlisten

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 03:40:04 -0700, "chile_paul"
    <chilepaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I had a similar problem recently where I would log on to Windows XP, however
    >when the PC had finished booting I had no Start button, taskbar or desktop
    >buttons. I managed to resolve this by going into Add/Remove Programs and
    >deleting all the Windows Hotfixes that had been upgraded on my PC. This
    >resolved the problem.
    >
    >If these are the same symptoms that you are experiencing you will need to
    >follow the follwing process to open the Add/Remove Programs wizard.
    >
    >Ctrl-Alt-Del on the blank desktop screen.
    >Task Manager opens
    >Click on the File menu and then New Task(run)
    >Click browse and browse to Documents and Settings -> Administrator -> Start
    >Menu -> Accessories -> Command Prompt
    >Click open to open the Command prompt
    >type cd..
    >type cd..
    >type cd windows
    >type cd system32
    >thype contorl appwiz.cpl
    >This will open the Add/Remove programs wizard
    >Now delete all the unrecognised Windows hotfix programs and reboot

    Remember that a lot of the Hotfixes are there to fix security problems, and
    removing them may expose your computer to known exploits. So un install
    Hotfixes for diagnostic purposes, if you must, but try and be selective about
    what you un install, and see if there are any known workarounds for each Hotfix.

    When you make your computer less secure, you could be affecting the Internet as
    a whole. So don't do this indiscriminately.

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck

    I have a slightly different problem - when I boot up the computer, I get the
    Windows XP loading screen, and then afterwards, just a blank screen with no
    picture. I can't follow any of your advice, becuase I can't operate the
    machine when I can't see what I'm doing!

    I'm running XP Pro, fully up to date with all drivers and updates, and have
    already tried rolling back the registry manually using the Recovery Console
    on the setup CD. No luck.

    If anybody has any suggestions, please try to keep them simple!

    Thanks,
    Cyrus Lyons

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:23:02 -0700, "bigFoot"
    <bigFoot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have a slightly different problem - when I boot up the computer, I get the
    >Windows XP loading screen, and then afterwards, just a blank screen with no
    >picture. I can't follow any of your advice, becuase I can't operate the
    >machine when I can't see what I'm doing!
    >
    >I'm running XP Pro, fully up to date with all drivers and updates, and have
    >already tried rolling back the registry manually using the Recovery Console
    >on the setup CD. No luck.
    >
    >If anybody has any suggestions, please try to keep them simple!
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Cyrus Lyons

    Cyrus,

    Pretty nasty problem there. You might want to start a new thread, with a
    descriptive Subject, so more helpers can find your problem report.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/how-to-post-on-usenet-and-encourage.html#Hijacking>

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    Paranoia is not a problem - it's a normal response from experience.
    My email is AT DOT
    actual address pchuck sonic net.

    Thanks. If anybody thinks they might be able to help, I've posted here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain&tid=540f6a31-e1be-4884-a397-7e234d6d52ba&cat=en-us-ms-winxp&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1

    Cheers,
    bigFoot

    "Chuck" wrote:

    > On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:23:02 -0700, "bigFoot"
    > <bigFoot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I have a slightly different problem - when I boot up the computer, I get the
    > >Windows XP loading screen, and then afterwards, just a blank screen with no
    > >picture. I can't follow any of your advice, becuase I can't operate the
    > >machine when I can't see what I'm doing!
    > >
    > >I'm running XP Pro, fully up to date with all drivers and updates, and have
    > >already tried rolling back the registry manually using the Recovery Console
    > >on the setup CD. No luck.
    > >
    > >If anybody has any suggestions, please try to keep them simple!
    > >
    > >Thanks,
    > >Cyrus Lyons
    >
    > Cyrus,
    >
    > Pretty nasty problem there. You might want to start a new thread, with a
    > descriptive Subject, so more helpers can find your problem report.
    > <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/how-to-post-on-usenet-and-encourage.html#Hijacking>
    >
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > Chuck
    > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    > Paranoia is not a problem - it's a normal response from experience.
    > My email is AT DOT
    > actual address pchuck sonic net.

Desktops Microsoft Windows XP