Multiple boot options and window.1.dir

So lets go from the start, I was trying to do a recovery boot to restore
drivers for a 1GB flash key, as it turns out the OEM cd did not have the
recovery console and for some reason I could then not boot at all. I created
a slipstream boot using the OEM and adding the downloaded SP2, that went
great and now I have two seperate boot options which I have named 'XP
original' and XP working, XP working being the new installation.
If I choose 'XP Original' on boot, no matter what option I go with (safe
mode, boot logging etc.) it gets as far as the XP logo with the movin bar
then reboots again.
If I choose 'XP Working' it gets me in to XP but without all of my original
programs, shortcuts etc. Now I know these still exist as when I go into C: I
can see their is a windows folders with all of my original files. Their is
also a Windows.1 folder which I am presuming here 'XP Working' uses to load
everything up. So the question is how can I repair the boot sequence to use
the windows folders instead of windows.1. I ahve scanned the original windows
folder for viruses, spyware and adaware.

Note - Documents and settings still has my original folder (Kevin), all my
documents etc.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me solve what seems like an
impossible problem.
3 answers Last reply
More about multiple boot options window

    So, we're getting somewhere here, more than I imagined anyway but still some
    small problems.

    Using the working version of XP I logged in, installed the Recovery Console
    from the xp SP2 slipstream cd to be one of the boot option, changed its
    security so that I could access c:/windows instead of just c:/window.1 when
    using the command console, replaced the system, security, sam, software and
    default files from the repair folder and rebooted. That got me into the
    original windows but now none of the programs work, for example when trying
    to open MS word it states that I must have a copy installed on the pc, it is!
    Now I figure I know where the problem lies here, XP is treating me as a new
    user of the pc with a completely different registry so when it follows the
    correct path to open any application it can start but the applications
    themelves are looking for the registry key which is my old registry. (Am I
    right here or am I going completely the wrong way?)
    When I go into system restore it again sees as me as a new person and
    doesn't list all of my old restore points. I manually tried to copy an older
    restore folder into the latest list which did bring up a date in the restore
    calendar before all of this happened, went with that but then it just
    reverted to all of the old problems again.

    So where am I at the moment and what do I need help with?
    Well I can boot into my original desktop, start menu etc. I cannot access my
    programs and what I guess I need is some way of restoring my registry from
    the c:/system volume information folder.

    Thanks

    Why don't you fix your first one or reinstall your software.

    "Kevin Hunter" <KevinHunter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ACDCC3C2-175F-4F50-8009-B95328CFBA05@microsoft.com...
    > So, we're getting somewhere here, more than I imagined anyway but still some
    > small problems.
    >
    > Using the working version of XP I logged in, installed the Recovery Console
    > from the xp SP2 slipstream cd to be one of the boot option, changed its
    > security so that I could access c:/windows instead of just c:/window.1 when
    > using the command console, replaced the system, security, sam, software and
    > default files from the repair folder and rebooted. That got me into the
    > original windows but now none of the programs work, for example when trying
    > to open MS word it states that I must have a copy installed on the pc, it is!
    > Now I figure I know where the problem lies here, XP is treating me as a new
    > user of the pc with a completely different registry so when it follows the
    > correct path to open any application it can start but the applications
    > themelves are looking for the registry key which is my old registry. (Am I
    > right here or am I going completely the wrong way?)
    > When I go into system restore it again sees as me as a new person and
    > doesn't list all of my old restore points. I manually tried to copy an older
    > restore folder into the latest list which did bring up a date in the restore
    > calendar before all of this happened, went with that but then it just
    > reverted to all of the old problems again.
    >
    > So where am I at the moment and what do I need help with?
    > Well I can boot into my original desktop, start menu etc. I cannot access my
    > programs and what I guess I need is some way of restoring my registry from
    > the c:/system volume information folder.
    >
    > Thanks

    I don't think I have any other option but to do just that, thankfully I have
    all genuine copies! What I have also noticed though is that when I go into
    the cmd window now it displays c:\documents and
    settings\administrator.your-mibb84c962.001, whatever happened to simple
    folder structures!!!

    "David Candy" wrote:

    > Why don't you fix your first one or reinstall your software.

    > "Kevin Hunter" <KevinHunter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ACDCC3C2-175F-4F50-8009-B95328CFBA05@microsoft.com...
    > > So, we're getting somewhere here, more than I imagined anyway but still some
    > > small problems.
    > >
    > > Using the working version of XP I logged in, installed the Recovery Console
    > > from the xp SP2 slipstream cd to be one of the boot option, changed its
    > > security so that I could access c:/windows instead of just c:/window.1 when
    > > using the command console, replaced the system, security, sam, software and
    > > default files from the repair folder and rebooted. That got me into the
    > > original windows but now none of the programs work, for example when trying
    > > to open MS word it states that I must have a copy installed on the pc, it is!
    > > Now I figure I know where the problem lies here, XP is treating me as a new
    > > user of the pc with a completely different registry so when it follows the
    > > correct path to open any application it can start but the applications
    > > themelves are looking for the registry key which is my old registry. (Am I
    > > right here or am I going completely the wrong way?)
    > > When I go into system restore it again sees as me as a new person and
    > > doesn't list all of my old restore points. I manually tried to copy an older
    > > restore folder into the latest list which did bring up a date in the restore
    > > calendar before all of this happened, went with that but then it just
    > > reverted to all of the old problems again.
    > >
    > > So where am I at the moment and what do I need help with?
    > > Well I can boot into my original desktop, start menu etc. I cannot access my
    > > programs and what I guess I need is some way of restoring my registry from
    > > the c:/system volume information folder.
    > >
    > > Thanks

Boot Windows XP