How's BF3 treating you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skaz

Distinguished
I haven't taken the plunge at purchasing BF3 yet because mostly of EA's origin. I have played a lot of BF2, 2142, and in recent time BFBC2. But lately I have noticed that BFBC2 has felt kind of neglected. I'm assuming this is a business move on EA's part to try and push consumers to BF3. For example the "preorder BF3" text is still displayed at the bottom of the screen in BFBC2. I mean how long has it been since that game has come out? And there is some weird issue with clan names being invalid constantly. Just little things. And besides that the server list are starting to shrink. And I'm getting constant black screen flashes that are driving me nutz.

So anyways. I'm thinking about moving on to BF3. For those who are playing it how is Origin treating you and how is the overall BF3 experience been?

Thanks for your input.

Solution
BF3 experience has been good. It started with some imbalance with IRNV scope and frag rounds but the game looked and felt so good that it was easy to forgive those shortcomings. Before they became anything I personally felt the need to scrutinize, they were appropriately balanced in a 4gig balancing patch.

I would say that everyone has their minor gripes about this gun or that rocket, but at the end of the day the game is pretty balanced and a lot of fun. Origin hasn't been any more intrusive than steam was when it came out and I've actually grown to enjoy the battlelog feature. Overall I would say DICE did a great job with executing exactly what they promised.

I'm a long time bfbc2 fan and player, but I readily admit that BF3 for me...

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
BF3 experience has been good. It started with some imbalance with IRNV scope and frag rounds but the game looked and felt so good that it was easy to forgive those shortcomings. Before they became anything I personally felt the need to scrutinize, they were appropriately balanced in a 4gig balancing patch.

I would say that everyone has their minor gripes about this gun or that rocket, but at the end of the day the game is pretty balanced and a lot of fun. Origin hasn't been any more intrusive than steam was when it came out and I've actually grown to enjoy the battlelog feature. Overall I would say DICE did a great job with executing exactly what they promised.

I'm a long time bfbc2 fan and player, but I readily admit that BF3 for me at least is more fun and a better game.

Solution

Onlyusemeisaac

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
I'm in a clan with 13thmonkey (two posts up) and I concur with him! Still really fun to play and have a scoot around in a jeep. Much better than BFBC2 imo, although I didn't feel so when it first came out. It's grown on me since ^.^

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Bought it a week ago and there still are some problems.
Took me a while to get it to run stable (MSI Afterburner makes BF3 crash...), had to reinstall it because I had problems with punkbuster and I think on friday nobody could play for a while because of some problem with Origin.
Runs well for me now but forums are filled with people having issues.

I personally don't trust EA. I've installed Origin on a separate Windows installation, that doesn't mount any of the other partitions on my machine. EA can suck it if they want to spy on me. Hope they get the message. Not buying anything else from them in the foreseeable future..... unless they make a good(!) Dungeon Keeper sequel.... or Battlefield 1944.

BF3 is a great game, if you are in squad/team that knows what teamwork is, but having half the team camping with sniper rifles is just as infuriating as it is in TF2.
I don't know yet if it's going to keep me playing for hundreds of hours like BF42 or BF2 did back in the day, but I definitely not regret buying it. Shame there is no mod support.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Haven't heard of MSI Afterburner making BF3 crash. I use it personally with pretty high overclocks. What does tend to make BF3 crash is clocks that aren't stable for the game. It is pickier than some other titles. What did you end up using for your overclocks? ATI Tray tools or CCC?

Spoony

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
all good,

was a nightmare at 1st to get 3 card crossfire working and it not crash but all is well now drivers and game work together like they should.

still cant get off skyrim though to play it as much as i would like :S

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010

I'm not using MSI Afterburner for overclocking, but for fan control. Makes BF3 crash whether the GPU is overclocked or not.
Turning MSI Afterburner off and relying on CCC instead immediately solved the problem.

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
I was a huge BF2 fan...then went into COD as of MW2, then COD: BO. I bought MW3 and BF3 around the same time...started with MW3 and liked it....but then I invested a few hours in BF3 and get all the BF2 feel with better graphics/mechanics, etc. BF3 is THE game if you like FPS on a massive scale.

As for stability, it was a little buggy at launch but It's much better now both on a stability and performance level. You should join the fun.

Origin: I'm a huge fan of STEAM so having another program like it is quite annoying but IMO, BF3's worth installing Origin (even if it's not as good as Steam).

signor

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
Imagine 2142 without the spaceships :)

Amazing gameplay and fairly realistic, if only it wasnt browser based for menu's and it avoided origin and would have used steam.

Still great game and its actually a game which understands what eyefinity is meaning ive dropped my MW3 indefinatly.

:)

Actually I must say that it is far more enjoyable playing with people you know and being able to talk at the same time, either on teamspeak or on the in-game party speak method (which I've not used).

Status
Not open for further replies.