400w inadequite?

KeeperHET

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2005
Hello, I have a 400 watt PSU on my case, its late and im too sleepy to try to take it out of the case to see who makes it... but its a 2 fan unit, one front one rear, and the rear is stopped. completely. i've tried to manually move it (sometimes it just gets hung on something) to no avail, and my question is, will my PSU still work with just the forward (inside the case) fan working?

Partially this is due to the face i just ordered a couple of new fans, a new blower, and a new drive bay fan system, and some of my contacts that're employed in computer businesses tell me that 400w may not be enough, and I dont want to screw up my computer.

heres my slightly insane fan count

2 on powersupply (1 working, stated above)
1 80mm rear case
1 60mm front case
4 40mm front HDD fans (3 working, 1 rubbed too much so i disabled it)
1 mobo (cpu cooler or something)
1 CPU (duh)
1 on video card (is a backup geforce 2, will be a 6600GT soon)

soon to be added:
1 80mm variable speed
1 blower
yet another 2 40mm fan drive bay fan

this is added to a system running
a 6600GT Video Card.
a 40 gig primary &
a 200 gig secondary HDD
a DvD/CD burn drive
a CD burn drive
a floppy drive (woooh hi tech)
a Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS
1 gig DDR ram
AMD Athlon XP2400+
ASUS mobo
and finally.

an ethernet adapter

that variable speed fan will go on top or side panel of case.

eugh total modified fan count is 15, working count is 13. I hope my case doesnt implode from all the air moving about. My alergies will suffer from all the dust movement -_-

oh and sound isnt a problem i have a 10" table fan running constantly in my room.

EDIT # 4,305,049,000.1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-968&depa=0
will get this one if you all agree that it is underpowered for what i need.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by KeeperHET on 04/17/05 02:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I replace power supply fans quite often, it's not that difficult.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

KeeperHET

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2005
okay... but is 400w enough to power all of that, safely with some slack so that I dont go and play cs:s or splinter cell and crash?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
400W is actually FAR MORE than what you need for your parts. Quality can always be an issue.

Don't let me discourage you from buying that power supply, it's GREAT!

On the other hand, I had a cheap power supply branded "JLE" with cheap parts inside-lots of them-it was actually a well designed power supply with lots of filtration and cheap caps. The fan wore out, I replaced it. The caps blow, I replaced them. Etc etc, finally what I had was a good quality power supply based on a nicely designed cheapy. Oh, even the housing was cheap, the screw holes stripped and I ended up using a different casing...

Assuming YOUR 400W power supply is of good quality, you don't need more. My system is HUGE compared to yours. BUT, as I said, the FSP530 is a GREAT power supply, so if you REALLY WANT a new power supply, it's a GREAT choice.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

DeathClock

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2004
I got a FX-53 / MSI K8N Neo2 Plt. / OCZ PC4400 / 2x Raptors / Gainward 6800 Ultra running on a 400Watt PSU from Nexus, so your system should be fine aswell with a 400Watt.

<A HREF="http://www.forsaken-game.com/" target="_new">Half-Life2:Forsaken</A>

KeeperHET

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2005
<_< my +12 is running at 13.056 =/
is that "ok" or should i ditch my bay fans? (dont really need them, my HDDs have heatsinks)

<font color=purple>
AMD Athlon XP2400+
MSI 6600GT 128meg
1 Gig DDR Ram
240Gigs HDD space
Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS
7 40mm, 3 60mm, 4 80mm 1 blower
228.13 total CFM
</font color=purple>