General PC Help Needed

I just bought Battlefield 2 and want to get my PC in top shape so it can
run at it's highest capability. When I open my local C: drive there is a
folder called "temp" and in that folder is an executable program called
"EDow" and I don't know what it is. There is also a folder called
"Driver" and in that folder is another folder called "MICROMV", and
there is nothing in that folder. Back to the local drive, there is a
readme called "mmcInst" with a bunch of PC jargon. There is a .NET file
called "PDOXUSRS.NET" and I have no programs installed on my PC that can
open it. Then there's an executable program called "xz" and when I click
it, nothing happens. There's one more empty folder there called
"ppwork". I know this is a lot but any help would be great. Also, I
need a free anti-virus program that's not Norton.

--
Wolframm

Looks like EDow is some kind of spyware. As to MICROMV do you happen to have
a Sony digital camera of the same name? If so this is the driver for it or,
seeing as your is empty, where the driver would normally be placed. The
PDOXUSRS.NET is, i believe, something to do with Borland database. XZ and
PPwork i can't locate anything on quickly using google, anyway.
I suggest you download Ad-Aware www.lavasoftusa.com and spybot search and
destroy www.safer-networking.org and run both to check for spyware.
As for a free anti virus download the free version of AVG anti virus
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

"Wolframm" <Wolframm.1r9bpr@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> I just bought Battlefield 2 and want to get my PC in top shape so it can
> run at it's highest capability. When I open my local C: drive there is a
> folder called "temp" and in that folder is an executable program called
> "EDow" and I don't know what it is. There is also a folder called
> "Driver" and in that folder is another folder called "MICROMV", and
> there is nothing in that folder. Back to the local drive, there is a
> readme called "mmcInst" with a bunch of PC jargon. There is a .NET file
> called "PDOXUSRS.NET" and I have no programs installed on my PC that can
> open it. Then there's an executable program called "xz" and when I click
> it, nothing happens. There's one more empty folder there called
> "ppwork". I know this is a lot but any help would be great. Also, I
> need a free anti-virus program that's not Norton.
>

> --
> Wolframm

PPwork is a temp folder that a digital video capture card uses. (such as
Expert DVD) or (PVR).
If these are all in the Temp directory you may delete all of them As I am
sure you didn't install any programs or drivers to the Temp folder.