Sign in with
Your question

Issues with low FPS in-game

Last response: in Video Games
February 6, 2012 1:43:21 AM

I recently started gaming again on Steam and found that my computer is running slow compared to my friends computer fps wise. Ping I'm fine with usually the lowest ping in servers. The fps is what's killing me and it seems like a slideshow. On the main server I play, I get roughly 50 fps, and then it drops down to 10 fps when I start to spawn more props (Gmod). I turned down all the setting to the lowest and turned vsync and everything off, and it still doesn't change the sluggishness. My fps never goes past 150. I made sure my gpu and other components were up to date with drivers. I heard from my friend that it might be the new drivers arn't that stable, but would that change fps in-game? I built my gaming rig, and I hope to find the problem soon, because it's really annoying.

Specs:
- CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4ghz (Not overclocked)
- GPU: XFX Radeon HD 6850
- MOBO: MSI 870A-G54
- RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengence
- PWER: Corsair TX750
- Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB (Running everything on this atm)
- CPU Cooler: Coolermaster V8
- CPU Temp: High: 75F - Low: 70F (During gameplay)
- GPU Temp: High: 105F - Low: 95F (During gameplay)

More about : issues low fps game

February 6, 2012 9:46:30 AM

theamazingpinoy said:
I recently started gaming again on Steam and found that my computer is running slow compared to my friends computer fps wise. Ping I'm fine with usually the lowest ping in servers. The fps is what's killing me and it seems like a slideshow. On the main server I play, I get roughly 50 fps, and then it drops down to 10 fps when I start to spawn more props (Gmod). I turned down all the setting to the lowest and turned vsync and everything off, and it still doesn't change the sluggishness. My fps never goes past 150. I made sure my gpu and other components were up to date with drivers. I heard from my friend that it might be the new drivers arn't that stable, but would that change fps in-game? I built my gaming rig, and I hope to find the problem soon, because it's really annoying.

Specs:
- CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 3.4ghz (Not overclocked)
- GPU: XFX Radeon HD 6850
- MOBO: MSI 870A-G54
- RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengence
- PWER: Corsair TX750
- Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB (Running everything on this atm)
- CPU Cooler: Coolermaster V8
- CPU Temp: High: 75F - Low: 70F (During gameplay)
- GPU Temp: High: 105F - Low: 95F (During gameplay)

if your pcs have the same specs and the game is running at the same exact config (including in the catalyst control panel) and still you are more laggy, yes certainly drivers can change fps you must see wich one is best for the game you are playing, see the version your friend is using and use the same just to comparisons.

i don't think 150fps is a problem... but yes maybe you will need to do some graphics tweaking in-game/panel remember V-SYnc on will lock fps at 30/60;

There are a lot of stuff that may change fps, you need to do various testing, but i don't belive you have any hardware problem in your specs;
m
l
February 6, 2012 10:54:13 AM

a high gpu temp of 105F = 40C, are you sure, thats below most idles. Ditto with the CPU temp, thats 21C which is typical ambient, its not possible to run at ambient without interesting cooling.
If they were C temps, i.e. 105C and 70C thats a lot more realistic and points to GPU throttling.
m
l
Related resources
February 6, 2012 11:10:28 AM

Your temps seem far too low for almost anything, your lucky to even get that idle tbh.

I personally would un-install and re-install your gfx drivers and put them to CCC 12.2, was working on an old build which I did for a friend which had a 6850 in it and was suprised on how well it performs (BF3 on high settings @ 40-60fps)

I would also reccomend (just to test if its temps on the GFX) going into CCC and upping your fan speed to around 50% and seeing if that makes a difference.
m
l
February 6, 2012 11:58:21 AM

definitely check your drivers. It could even be a problem with a new driver if you just installed one. I had to roll back by GPU drivers at one point when it completely ruined my FPS for certain games:( 
m
l
February 6, 2012 5:44:05 PM

I tried to install a older driver to the 6850, but the newer driver overrided it. What program do I need to remove the newer firmware? Thanks.
m
l
February 7, 2012 12:28:59 AM

@OP You can try this to remove all drivers then reinstall the older drivers. @ everyone else. I was just wondering how everybody feels that 40c is below normal idle temps. My GPU's on idle never go over 33c and of course my CPU is even lower.

I am just curious that's all. I am not trying to cause a fight, just looking to further my learning. Thanks

http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html
m
l
February 7, 2012 3:29:27 AM

idle temps mean nothing you only need take notice of them if there above average.
a p2 @3.4 should be running at 35-40'c at idle the ati card would normally run at 43'c on idle...
the 2600k on the other hand should idle at around 25-30'c @4,0 with a decent cooler so you cant really compare intel temps with amd as there on different dye sizes, different voltages and have different thermal tolerances.

the only way that his ati card could be idling so low is if the fans were maxed out at 100% if so then it will sound like a dust devil choking on a sock, or he's reading bios temps at boot.

so my guess is hes reading the temps wrong...
get and run realtemp / coretemp / hwmonitor and speedfan at the same time in windows... you will also want gpu-z to read the gpu temps later.

get em all up and running they should all read roughly the same 35-40'c across all 4 cores... now leave them running and load up prime 95. set it to blend on all cores and set it away for at least 15 mins uninterrupted (unless temps get close to 62, 65 being the max) while doing so keep an eye on the temps...
post your true max temp that is showing on all 4 thermal apps...
not turn off prime 95 completely including in the task bar

now. open the ati ccc panel and go to 3d settings. click default and apply go to amd overdrive and click default there 2, apply than and quit

leaving the temp monitors open but adding gpu-z run fur mark for 2-4 tests you should now have a reasonable idea of what your temps of the cpu are
post the results here...
my guess is your cpu should be around 55'c and your gpu at around 72'c
m
l
February 7, 2012 11:05:56 PM

710194,8,847470 said:
idle temps mean nothing you only need take notice of them if there above average.
a p2 @3.4 should be running at 35-40'c at idle the ati card would normally run at 43'c on idle...
the 2600k on the other hand should idle at around 25-30'c @4,0 with a decent cooler so you cant really compare intel temps with amd as there on different dye sizes, different voltages and have different thermal tolerances.

^^^
Thank you HEXiT. I know when I ask the right question you always with out fail have the right answer. Thank you again
m
l
!