COMPRESSED FOLDER QUESTION

I created a folder with several files in windows XP.
I then compressed and PASSWORD protected the files within th folder.
Now i cannot remember the password for the files.
How do I get passed the password protection program? any ideas?
Thanks
14 answers Last reply
More about compressed folder question

    What program was used to password protect the data?
    Contact the source of the program for options.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "COMPRESSED MAN" <COMPRESSED MAN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I created a folder with several files in windows XP.
    > I then compressed and PASSWORD protected the files within th folder.
    > Now i cannot remember the password for the files.
    > How do I get passed the password protection program? any ideas?
    > Thanks

    the compression tool that came with WinXP.

    "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

    > What program was used to password protect the data?
    > Contact the source of the program for options.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    > http://www.dts-l.org
    >

    > "COMPRESSED MAN" <COMPRESSED MAN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I created a folder with several files in windows XP.
    > > I then compressed and PASSWORD protected the files within th folder.
    > > Now i cannot remember the password for the files.
    > > How do I get passed the password protection program? any ideas?
    > > Thanks

    I did not ask what was used to compress.
    I asked what was used to password protect the data?
    Since that is not a Windows native ability, you use a 3rd party program and
    their support has your answer.

    --

    COMPRESSED MAN wrote:
    > the compression tool that came with WinXP.

    Repeating my answer in the thread..

    Doubtful.

    While an original install of Windows XP can COMPRESS folders in two ways I
    can think of (NTFS compression and a version of the ZIP compression) - I do
    not believe either way provides a method of passwording the resultant
    folder/file. The first method is usually done through the disk cleanup
    utility for a normal user.. they are unlikely to come across it in any other
    way. The second can be done by right-clicking on a folder or multiple files
    and selecting "Send To" -> "Compressed (zipped) Folder". If you did
    anything other than that - yyouare not using a native Windows XP tool. It
    does not matter if it came with your computer or not - it is not part of a
    native Windows XP install and it would need to be identified to point you to
    the proper help.

    Simply repeat the steps you went through to compress/password this folder
    with us - explain them one at a time. Perhaps we can point you in the
    correct direction at least.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    What program did you use to create the compressed folder?

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    COMPRESSED MAN wrote:
    > the compression tool that came with WinXP

    Doubtful.

    While an original install of Windows XP can COMPRESS folders in two ways I
    can think of (NTFS compression and a version of the ZIP compression) - I do
    not believe either way provides a method of passwording the resultant
    folder/file. The first method is usually done through the disk cleanup
    utility for a normal user.. they are unlikely to come across it in any other
    way. The second can be done by right-clicking on a folder or multiple files
    and selecting "Send To" -> "Compressed (zipped) Folder". If you did
    anything other than that - yyouare not using a native Windows XP tool. It
    does not matter if it came with your computer or not - it is not part of a
    native Windows XP install and it would need to be identified to point you to
    the proper help.

    Simply repeat the steps you went through to compress/password this folder
    with us - explain them one at a time. Perhaps we can point you in the
    correct direction at least.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP
    --
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

    You can NOT password protect the folder with what comes with Windows XP. Are
    you sure you didn't encrypt the folder contents?

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    > the compression tool that came with WinXP
    >
    > "Richard Urban" wrote:
    >
    >> What program did you use to create the compressed folder?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Richard Urban
    >>
    >> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    >>
    >> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    >>

    >> "COMPRESSED MAN" <COMPRESSED MAN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message
    >> >I created a folder with several files in windows XP.
    >> > I then compressed and PASSWORD protected the files within th folder.
    >> > Now i cannot remember the password for the files.
    >> > How do I get passed the password protection program? any ideas?
    >> > Thanks

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    I can't add anything to what others have told you already except that when
    password protecting anything on a computer, ensure that it is something that
    you will remember or write it down and put it somewhere safe away from the
    computer..

    You, and others, may think that I am stating the obvious, but this instance
    demonstrates quite clearly that it is not obvious at all to some..

    I know that much is said about using arcane passwords, mixtures of upper
    case, lower case and numbers, but if like me, you can't ever remember them,
    do like I do and pick a place name from a country you may have visited or
    something that a password cracker may not suspect.. the password lists that
    I have come across are invariably full of English words, so a foreign
    language word would not be so apparent..

    Your IP address suggests that you are in or near Houston, Texas, or using an
    ISP that is based in Texas.. so, if you were ever part of USAF and maybe
    based in Germany, you may have watched football (soccer.. proper football..
    lol..) and your favourite team might have been Munchen Gladbach.. that would
    make a good password as nobody would associate a US computer with a German
    soccer team.. this kind of thing has always worked for me..

    And no, sorry Shenan, Richard, David, Jupiter, I am not providing a list off
    all countries that I have visited.. :-) suffice to say that I have been to
    most of the 107 registered countries.. happy guessing..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

    "COMPRESSED MAN" <COMPRESSED MAN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I created a folder with several files in windows XP.
    > I then compressed and PASSWORD protected the files within th folder.
    > Now i cannot remember the password for the files.
    > How do I get passed the password protection program? any ideas?
    > Thanks
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    You can password protect zip files in windows. Open a zip, File menu - Add Password

    "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message news:Ox4NSsseFHA.3620@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > COMPRESSED MAN wrote:
    >> I created a folder with several files in windows XP.
    >> I then compressed and PASSWORD protected the files within th folder.
    >> Now i cannot remember the password for the files.
    >> How do I get passed the password protection program? any ideas?
    >
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
    >> What program was used to password protect the data?
    >> Contact the source of the program for options.
    >
    > COMPRESSED MAN wrote:
    >> the compression tool that came with WinXP.
    >
    > Repeating my answer in the thread..
    >
    > Doubtful.
    >
    > While an original install of Windows XP can COMPRESS folders in two ways I
    > can think of (NTFS compression and a version of the ZIP compression) - I do
    > not believe either way provides a method of passwording the resultant
    > folder/file. The first method is usually done through the disk cleanup
    > utility for a normal user.. they are unlikely to come across it in any other
    > way. The second can be done by right-clicking on a folder or multiple files
    > and selecting "Send To" -> "Compressed (zipped) Folder". If you did
    > anything other than that - yyouare not using a native Windows XP tool. It
    > does not matter if it came with your computer or not - it is not part of a
    > native Windows XP install and it would need to be identified to point you to
    > the proper help.
    >
    > Simply repeat the steps you went through to compress/password this folder
    > with us - explain them one at a time. Perhaps we can point you in the
    > correct direction at least.
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    By gosh, you can! (-:

    Among others, I never knew that. I would have thought that the container
    would have been password protected - not the internal files.

    Thanks for the information!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    You can password protect zip files in windows. Open a zip, File menu - Add
    Password

    > COMPRESSED MAN wrote:
    >> I created a folder with several files in windows XP.
    >> I then compressed and PASSWORD protected the files within th folder.
    >> Now i cannot remember the password for the files.
    >> How do I get passed the password protection program? any ideas?
    >
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
    >> What program was used to password protect the data?
    >> Contact the source of the program for options.
    >
    > COMPRESSED MAN wrote:
    >> the compression tool that came with WinXP.
    >
    > Repeating my answer in the thread..
    >
    > Doubtful.
    >
    > While an original install of Windows XP can COMPRESS folders in two ways I
    > can think of (NTFS compression and a version of the ZIP compression) - I
    > do
    > not believe either way provides a method of passwording the resultant
    > folder/file. The first method is usually done through the disk cleanup
    > utility for a normal user.. they are unlikely to come across it in any
    > other
    > way. The second can be done by right-clicking on a folder or multiple
    > files
    > and selecting "Send To" -> "Compressed (zipped) Folder". If you did
    > anything other than that - yyouare not using a native Windows XP tool. It
    > does not matter if it came with your computer or not - it is not part of a
    > native Windows XP install and it would need to be identified to point you
    > the proper help.
    >
    > Simply repeat the steps you went through to compress/password this folder
    > with us - explain them one at a time. Perhaps we can point you in the
    > correct direction at least.
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Richard Urban wrote:
    > By gosh, you can! (-:
    >
    > Among others, I never knew that. I would have thought that the
    > container would have been password protected - not the internal files.
    >
    > Thanks for the information!

    Hah - I never knew that either. Thanks David.

    However, I am still unsure these are the steps the OP took..

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    You can always dir a zip file, just can't extracxt without a password. Same for Winzip and pkzip.

    If it is a zip then there are password crackers but one needs to know some of the contents of the file, like a word in a doc or something.

    "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eog0dQweFHA.640@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > By gosh, you can! (-:
    >
    > Among others, I never knew that. I would have thought that the container
    > would have been password protected - not the internal files.
    >
    > Thanks for the information!
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    >

    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > You can password protect zip files in windows. Open a zip, File menu - Add
    > Password

    > "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> COMPRESSED MAN wrote:
    >>> I created a folder with several files in windows XP.
    >>> I then compressed and PASSWORD protected the files within th folder.
    >>> Now i cannot remember the password for the files.
    >>> How do I get passed the password protection program? any ideas?
    >>
    >> Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
    >>> What program was used to password protect the data?
    >>> Contact the source of the program for options.
    >>
    >> COMPRESSED MAN wrote:
    >>> the compression tool that came with WinXP.
    >>
    >> Repeating my answer in the thread..
    >>
    >> Doubtful.
    >>
    >> While an original install of Windows XP can COMPRESS folders in two ways I
    >> can think of (NTFS compression and a version of the ZIP compression) - I
    >> do
    >> not believe either way provides a method of passwording the resultant
    >> folder/file. The first method is usually done through the disk cleanup
    >> utility for a normal user.. they are unlikely to come across it in any
    >> other
    >> way. The second can be done by right-clicking on a folder or multiple
    >> files
    >> and selecting "Send To" -> "Compressed (zipped) Folder". If you did
    >> anything other than that - yyouare not using a native Windows XP tool. It
    >> does not matter if it came with your computer or not - it is not part of a
    >> native Windows XP install and it would need to be identified to point you
    >> the proper help.
    >>
    >> Simply repeat the steps you went through to compress/password this folder
    >> with us - explain them one at a time. Perhaps we can point you in the
    >> correct direction at least.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Shenan Stanley
    >> MS-MVP
    >> --
    >> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    I have no idea. I wouldn't call a zip a folder.

    "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message news:e%23gBoRxeFHA.1400@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > David Candy wrote:
    >> You can password protect zip files in windows. Open a zip, File menu
    >> - Add Password
    >
    > Richard Urban wrote:
    >> By gosh, you can! (-:
    >>
    >> Among others, I never knew that. I would have thought that the
    >> container would have been password protected - not the internal files.
    >>
    >> Thanks for the information!
    >
    > Hah - I never knew that either. Thanks David.
    >
    > However, I am still unsure these are the steps the OP took..
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --