searching network drive shares

Environment is a Windows NT 4.0 domain with Print & File sharing PDC,
Exchange 5.5 server and Proxy 2.0 server. Clients were 98, 2000, and XP.
Replaced all the 98 & 2000 clients with XP Pro SP2 2 weeks ago. Several
users that had 98 machines would routinely search a shared directory on the
PDC for files (mostly PDF or CAD drawing). The search would complete in 5
seconds or less. The new XP machines doing the same search will take 70-75
seconds. (the previous 2000 users did not do searching, but when one of their
systems was tested, it also takes 60 seconds or more). Logins and browsing do
not seem to be a problem. I can drill down to the file through Explorer about
as fast as I can move the mouse and click. I tried turning on indexing, but
since the files do not have any recognizable content, it didn't seem to help.
Outlook email and Internet work just fine. It only seems to be a problem
with searching.
WINS is running on the PDC and I started DNS. Doesn't seem to make a
difference. Any help would be appreciated.
2 answers Last reply
More about searching network drive shares

    I would check DNS configuration. Wish i could help more. I know XP relies on
    it heavily. I mean, it tries to resolve names through DNS before anything
    else. Could not be able to resolve it that way, and it takes it longer to
    time out, and then to go on to resolve it throught WINS. I dont know. I
    failed one of my microsft exams 2 weeks ago so it could be anything.

    :)

    "SGIPete" wrote:

    > Environment is a Windows NT 4.0 domain with Print & File sharing PDC,
    > Exchange 5.5 server and Proxy 2.0 server. Clients were 98, 2000, and XP.
    > Replaced all the 98 & 2000 clients with XP Pro SP2 2 weeks ago. Several
    > users that had 98 machines would routinely search a shared directory on the
    > PDC for files (mostly PDF or CAD drawing). The search would complete in 5
    > seconds or less. The new XP machines doing the same search will take 70-75
    > seconds. (the previous 2000 users did not do searching, but when one of their
    > systems was tested, it also takes 60 seconds or more). Logins and browsing do
    > not seem to be a problem. I can drill down to the file through Explorer about
    > as fast as I can move the mouse and click. I tried turning on indexing, but
    > since the files do not have any recognizable content, it didn't seem to help.
    > Outlook email and Internet work just fine. It only seems to be a problem
    > with searching.
    > WINS is running on the PDC and I started DNS. Doesn't seem to make a
    > difference. Any help would be appreciated.

    An update to this problem. I went to another customer that is running Server
    2003 as the F&P server. Repeated the same test-search for files on a network
    share. The XP system took 4.5 minutes to find 3 files. A Windows 98 machine
    took 40 seconds to find the same 3 files. It doesn't appear this is a WINS or
    DNS issue. Has anyone else experienced a problem with XP being painfully slow
    when searching for files on a network share??

    "802dotjohn" wrote:

    > I would check DNS configuration. Wish i could help more. I know XP relies on
    > it heavily. I mean, it tries to resolve names through DNS before anything
    > else. Could not be able to resolve it that way, and it takes it longer to
    > time out, and then to go on to resolve it throught WINS. I dont know. I
    > failed one of my microsft exams 2 weeks ago so it could be anything.
    >
    > :)
    >

    > "SGIPete" wrote:
    >
    > > Environment is a Windows NT 4.0 domain with Print & File sharing PDC,
    > > Exchange 5.5 server and Proxy 2.0 server. Clients were 98, 2000, and XP.
    > > Replaced all the 98 & 2000 clients with XP Pro SP2 2 weeks ago. Several
    > > users that had 98 machines would routinely search a shared directory on the
    > > PDC for files (mostly PDF or CAD drawing). The search would complete in 5
    > > seconds or less. The new XP machines doing the same search will take 70-75
    > > seconds. (the previous 2000 users did not do searching, but when one of their
    > > systems was tested, it also takes 60 seconds or more). Logins and browsing do
    > > not seem to be a problem. I can drill down to the file through Explorer about
    > > as fast as I can move the mouse and click. I tried turning on indexing, but
    > > since the files do not have any recognizable content, it didn't seem to help.
    > > Outlook email and Internet work just fine. It only seems to be a problem
    > > with searching.
    > > WINS is running on the PDC and I started DNS. Doesn't seem to make a
    > > difference. Any help would be appreciated.

Windows XP Network Drive