The End Has Come! Real Life Wins Out!

Finally I shall leave off playing all computer games altogether. I am
sick of wasting my precious time on foolish pursuits. I shall grab life
by the horns, prosper, and fulfill every dream I wish to achieve in REAL
LIFE.

No more computer games, ever again! Ever!

Instead I shall have fun exercising, making love to my wife, having fun
with family and friends, traveling, buying a new home, installing a
solar energy plant, helping others with my time and talents.

May others join this revolution as well.
19 answers Last reply
More about come real life wins

    If you're a troll, and you well may be, you're getting a 0.1/10.

    If not, then you're completely missing the point of playing computer
    games.

    When you say "having fun with family and friends, excercising,
    traveling, installing a solar energy plant", what you're essentially
    describing are free time activities. If you want to go out with your
    friends bowling or hiking.. all the more power to you, but don't knock
    us staying at home playing games with our friends online. It's
    essentially the same thing. Yes, one may get your more physical
    excercise, but as recent studies have proven
    http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050111/115500_1.html
    gamers are normal people. They go to the gym too. They hang out with
    their family and friends in real life and ride their bikes and go on
    hikes.

    Now if you played so much that the games impacted the rest of your
    life, you were in the absolute minority of gamers, and essentially an
    addict and quitting games may be a good thing for you. Given that you
    mention making love to your wife... well if you played so much you
    didn't have time for THAT,.. you're just an addicted dumbass, and lucky
    she didn't leave you yet. But don't knock games for your own faults.
    They are not standing in the way of a happy and enjoyable life.

    I can't speak for everyone, but personally, while playing EQ over the
    last two years, I've taken classes at college, held a full time job
    (and gotten two raises in that time), found a new girlfriend, spent
    lots of time with my friends on weekends, held parties at my place,
    gave up smoking, took care of my pet turtle (i LOVE turtles) and have
    developed a new hobby: brewing beer. EQ is just one more thing I really
    enjoy doing with my friends.

    --
    Kzundran, 45 Dark Elf Cleric of Firiona Vie
    Gohrus, 59 High Elf Channeler of Karana

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 16:52:37 GMT, Mike <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >Finally I shall leave off playing all computer games altogether. I am
    >sick of wasting my precious time on foolish pursuits. I shall grab life
    >by the horns, prosper, and fulfill every dream I wish to achieve in REAL
    >LIFE.
    >
    >No more computer games, ever again! Ever!
    >
    >Instead I shall have fun exercising, making love to my wife, having fun
    >with family and friends, traveling, buying a new home, installing a
    >solar energy plant, helping others with my time and talents.
    >
    >May others join this revolution as well.

    Why do I get the feeling this is the same guy who started the troll
    about MMOGs being for losers recently? :p

    --
    Dark Tyger

    Sympathy for the retailer:
    http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
    "Door's to your left" -Gord

    Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/

    Mike wrote:

    > Instead I shall have fun exercising, making love to my wife, having fun
    > with family and friends, traveling, buying a new home, installing a
    > solar energy plant, helping others with my time and talents.
    >
    > May others join this revolution as well.

    Thank you for the invitation, Mike. But, no offense meant, I don't want
    to make love to your wife. I'm sure she's a lovely person. I just don't
    swing that way. But I do appreciate the offer.

    --
    Annie

    In EQII:

    AGE EverQuest Live FAQ:
    http://www.icynic.com/~don/EQ/age.faq.htm

    Mirrored at:
    http://webpages.charter.net/lenny13/age.faq.htm

    http://www.derfy.net/agefaq.html

    _______

    If you can't figure out my email address, you're not supposed to write me.

    Annie Benson-Lennaman wrote:
    > Mike wrote:
    >
    > > Instead I shall have fun exercising, making love to my wife, having
    fun
    > > with family and friends, traveling, buying a new home, installing a
    > > solar energy plant, helping others with my time and talents.
    > >
    > > May others join this revolution as well.
    >
    > Thank you for the invitation, Mike. But, no offense meant, I don't
    want
    > to make love to your wife. I'm sure she's a lovely person. I just
    don't
    > swing that way. But I do appreciate the offer.
    Great, more Mike-wife for the rest of us!

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 16:52:37 GMT, Mike <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >Finally I shall leave off playing all computer games altogether. I am
    >sick of wasting my precious time on foolish pursuits. I shall grab life
    >by the horns, prosper, and fulfill every dream I wish to achieve in REAL
    >LIFE.
    >
    >No more computer games, ever again! Ever!
    >
    >Instead I shall have fun exercising, making love to my wife, having fun
    >with family and friends, traveling, buying a new home, installing a
    >solar energy plant, helping others with my time and talents.
    >
    >May others join this revolution as well.

    I'll need pictures of your wife before I decide if I'm joining you.
    --
    Elder Lizsolo Spiritmaster - 66 Beastlord
    Baron Darkensolo - 65 Cleric

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:00:45 -0600, Annie Benson-Lennaman
    <teapray@realpeopleonly.yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Mike wrote:
    >
    >> Instead I shall have fun exercising, making love to my wife, having fun
    >> with family and friends, traveling, buying a new home, installing a
    >> solar energy plant, helping others with my time and talents.
    >>
    >> May others join this revolution as well.
    >
    > Thank you for the invitation, Mike. But, no offense meant, I don't want
    >to make love to your wife. I'm sure she's a lovely person. I just don't
    >swing that way. But I do appreciate the offer.

    Aw man, and I thought I was being clever.

    Must remember to read ALL replies before responding.
    --
    Elder Lizsolo Spiritmaster - 66 Beastlord
    Baron Darkensolo - 65 Cleric
    Jester Rachsolo - 45 Bardling
    Pliska - 41 SK
    Rodcet Nife
    A: Top Posters

    "Mike" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Finally I shall leave off playing all computer games altogether. I am
    > sick of wasting my precious time on foolish pursuits. I shall grab life
    > by the horns, prosper, and fulfill every dream I wish to achieve in REAL
    > LIFE.
    >
    > No more computer games, ever again! Ever!
    >
    > Instead I shall have fun exercising, making love to my wife, having fun
    > with family and friends, traveling, buying a new home, installing a
    > solar energy plant, helping others with my time and talents.
    >
    > May others join this revolution as well.

    See you back in a month after you have driven your wife nuts ;)

    --
    eq2.najena.Simonette
    eq2.najena.Floriana

    In article <sqsdu0pm5hrbkoaknfuhl03a5dfn146ejb@4ax.com>, handy@solo-
    technology.killthis.com says...
    > On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:00:45 -0600, Annie Benson-Lennaman
    > <teapray@realpeopleonly.yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Mike wrote:
    > >
    > >> Instead I shall have fun exercising, making love to my wife, having fun
    > >> with family and friends, traveling, buying a new home, installing a
    > >> solar energy plant, helping others with my time and talents.
    > >>
    > >> May others join this revolution as well.
    > >
    > > Thank you for the invitation, Mike. But, no offense meant, I don't want
    > >to make love to your wife. I'm sure she's a lovely person. I just don't
    > >swing that way. But I do appreciate the offer.
    >
    > Aw man, and I thought I was being clever.
    >
    > Must remember to read ALL replies before responding.

    Don't sweat it, Mike probably forgot to run this idea past his wife
    first; odds are good she doesn't swing that way either. Theres even a
    pretty good liklihood that even Mike won't be making love to his wife
    for a while now too... guess he'll be back in EQ sooner than he thought.
    :p

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:00:45 -0600 in
    <41E6D36D.7B73EC35@realpeopleonly.yahoo.com>, Annie Benson-Lennaman
    <teapray@realpeopleonly.yahoo.com> graced the world with this thought:

    >Thank you for the invitation, Mike. But, no offense meant, I don't want
    >to make love to your wife. I'm sure she's a lovely person. I just don't
    >swing that way. But I do appreciate the offer.

    Give it a shot, the rest of us did her, it's not bad.

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 16:52:37 GMT, Mike <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >No more computer games, ever again! Ever!

    CIHYS?

    reinard@blazingdot.com wrote:
    > If you're a troll, and you well may be, you're getting a 0.1/10.

    > If not, then you're completely missing the point of playing computer
    > games.

    > When you say "having fun with family and friends, excercising,
    > traveling, installing a solar energy plant", what you're essentially
    > describing are free time activities. If you want to go out with your
    > friends bowling or hiking.. all the more power to you, but don't knock
    > us staying at home playing games with our friends online. It's
    > essentially the same thing. Yes, one may get your more physical
    > excercise, but as recent studies have proven
    > http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050111/115500_1.html
    > gamers are normal people. They go to the gym too. They hang out with
    > their family and friends in real life and ride their bikes and go on
    > hikes.

    > Now if you played so much that the games impacted the rest of your
    > life, you were in the absolute minority of gamers, and essentially an
    > addict and quitting games may be a good thing for you. Given that you
    > mention making love to your wife... well if you played so much you
    > didn't have time for THAT,.. you're just an addicted dumbass, and lucky
    > she didn't leave you yet. But don't knock games for your own faults.
    > They are not standing in the way of a happy and enjoyable life.

    > I can't speak for everyone, but personally, while playing EQ over the
    > last two years, I've taken classes at college, held a full time job
    > (and gotten two raises in that time), found a new girlfriend, spent
    > lots of time with my friends on weekends, held parties at my place,
    > gave up smoking, took care of my pet turtle (i LOVE turtles) and have
    > developed a new hobby: brewing beer. EQ is just one more thing I really
    > enjoy doing with my friends.

    Excellent answer. And very well put.

    Hagen

    On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:46:32 +0100 in
    <81t8sc.511.ln@arellarti.fqdn.th-h.de>, Hagen Sienhold
    <durragon@web.de> graced the world with this thought:

    >reinard@blazingdot.com wrote:
    <snip>
    >> I can't speak for everyone, but personally, while playing EQ over the
    >> last two years, I've taken classes at college, held a full time job
    >> (and gotten two raises in that time), found a new girlfriend, spent
    >> lots of time with my friends on weekends, held parties at my place,
    >> gave up smoking, took care of my pet turtle (i LOVE turtles) and have
    >> developed a new hobby: brewing beer. EQ is just one more thing I really
    >> enjoy doing with my friends.
    >
    >Excellent answer. And very well put.
    >

    >Hagen

    That's because some people can control their lives, and, is evidenced
    by the OP, he apparently can't--and so figures that everyone playing
    the game is weak-willed and mush brained.

    <reinard@blazingdot.com> skrev i meddelandet

    > Now if you played so much that the games impacted the rest of your
    > life, you were in the absolute minority of gamers, and essentially an
    > addict and quitting games may be a good thing for you. Given that you
    > mention making love to your wife... well if you played so much you
    > didn't have time for THAT,.. you're just an addicted dumbass, and lucky
    > she didn't leave you yet. But don't knock games for your own faults.
    > They are not standing in the way of a happy and enjoyable life.

    Let's assume he's not trolling and making fun of the other addicted
    dumbasses (like me). That type of messages is very common in support groups
    for, say, losing weight or quitting smoking or drinking and other stuff that
    addicted dumbasses (like me) do.

    Apparently the OP feels the need to cement his decision to quit here, now he
    can't post here tomorrow asking for good solo places or whatever.

    I've never preached about the way I quit to anyone in the EQ commmunity,
    instead I explained to my few remaining friends the full and devastating
    impact the game had had on me, so they could stop me from going back.

    The short version is that I lost my job and girlfriend for EQ. I couldn't
    work normally because I was up until dawn playing, so they eventually asked
    me to pack up my stuff and go home. Later that day I intentionally provoked
    an argument with my (very patient) girlfriend so she ran crying to the train
    station never to return. Now, I had all the time in the world to play, and
    felt strangely satisfied...

    EQ is addictive and there are a lot of addicted dumbasses (like me),
    Keep it up, Mike, you can do it! =)

    /NZ

    > EQ is addictive and there are a lot of addicted dumbasses (like me),
    > Keep it up, Mike, you can do it! =)

    From Mike, the original poster:

    I'm already back. I've got to work this addiction out over several
    years, and see every classic Norrath zone. Perhaps in five years I will
    shed a tear and delete my character. Strange how RPGs get into the
    heart so much. I felt guilty about the time wasted that I could of
    spent with my family, but I will try to be moderate in this matter and
    not let EQ consume me.

    I played Ultima Online when it first came out, but that did not intrigue
    me. I then played EQ in its second year, and was fascinated with it
    immediately. Several times I quit to play other MMORPGs, including DAoC
    and EQ2, but EQ1 is the only MMORPG that has ever captured my interest.

    I will stop posting foolish "I quit!" messages.

    In article <MPG.1c5446ebb371d581989687@news.sf.sbcglobal.net>,
    nospam@nospam.com says...
    > > EQ is addictive and there are a lot of addicted dumbasses (like me),
    > > Keep it up, Mike, you can do it! =)
    >
    > From Mike, the original poster:
    >
    > I'm already back. I've got to work this addiction out over several
    > years, and see every classic Norrath zone. Perhaps in five years I will
    > shed a tear and delete my character. Strange how RPGs get into the
    > heart so much. I felt guilty about the time wasted that I could of
    > spent with my family, but I will try to be moderate in this matter and
    > not let EQ consume me.
    >
    > I played Ultima Online when it first came out, but that did not intrigue
    > me. I then played EQ in its second year, and was fascinated with it
    > immediately. Several times I quit to play other MMORPGs, including DAoC
    > and EQ2, but EQ1 is the only MMORPG that has ever captured my interest.
    >
    > I will stop posting foolish "I quit!" messages.

    No you won't.

    "42" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > In article <MPG.1c5446ebb371d581989687@news.sf.sbcglobal.net>,
    > nospam@nospam.com says...
    > > > EQ is addictive and there are a lot of addicted dumbasses (like me),
    > > > Keep it up, Mike, you can do it! =)
    > >
    > > From Mike, the original poster:
    > >
    > > I'm already back. I've got to work this addiction out over several
    > > years, and see every classic Norrath zone. Perhaps in five years I will
    > > shed a tear and delete my character. Strange how RPGs get into the
    > > heart so much. I felt guilty about the time wasted that I could of
    > > spent with my family, but I will try to be moderate in this matter and
    > > not let EQ consume me.
    > >
    > > I played Ultima Online when it first came out, but that did not intrigue
    > > me. I then played EQ in its second year, and was fascinated with it
    > > immediately. Several times I quit to play other MMORPGs, including DAoC
    > > and EQ2, but EQ1 is the only MMORPG that has ever captured my interest.
    > >
    > > I will stop posting foolish "I quit!" messages.
    > >

    > No you won't.

    hehehe....and he was back within a few days....I should have said within a
    week than a month.... =)

    > No you won't.

    That is so piercing. You have me figured out to the "T".

    On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 18:10:54 +0100 in <zexGd.1507$VR2.491@amstwist00>,
    "N. Ziember" <nemigaziember@hotmail.com> graced the world with this
    thought:

    >Apparently the OP feels the need to cement his decision to quit here, now he
    >can't post here tomorrow asking for good solo places or whatever.

    I suspect he hasn't posted here in the last six years, so why would he
    feel compelled to do it now to ask where to solo... besides, if he
    did, all he has to do is change his screen name.

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 06:21:25 GMT in
    <MPG.1c54f93a7388acf9989688@news.sf.sbcglobal.net>, Mike
    <nospam@nospam.com> graced the world with this thought:

    >> No you won't.
    >
    >That is so piercing. You have me figured out to the "T".

    that's why you're going into kill files all over the world...

Computers Games Video Games