Controler or keyboard/Mouse or somehow both?

ddemon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Hi,
I'm an old console gamer who has been won over to PC gaming. I'm loving the precision of aiming with a mouse but just can not master movement with a keyboard the way i could with a controller, particularly under heavy fire or attack from zombie hoard ..lol.
Is there a solution to this? and don'y say practice. Is there a gaming keyboard with a little one finger stick in place of the 'W' etc? and it there isn't then there should be ...lol

ddemon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Year i have one but i find my aiming is so much better with a mouse. And movement better with the controller.
I want the best of both worlds ...my cake and eat it too ...lol

ddemon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011

Nah not left handed ...maybe if i was i could perfect the whole running sideways and backwards and strafing around that i so suck at with a keyboard...lol

ddemon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
the thumb stick is the real attraction for me with a G13 or Nostromo but i read bad reviews of the one on the G13 and issues with getting diagonal movement on the Nostromo, Has anyone had any experiences to share?

your after what im after a left handed stick. trackballs just replace mice they wont configure to the keyboard commands and even when reconfigured end up clashing with the mouse. you could try a basic stick with something like xpadder. it does work but because my stick is for a righty its a little uncomfortable...

personally ive been looking at modding my 360 pad to use as a lefty thumb stick.. much like the wii remote but more ergo... ie a pistol grip with a thumb stick, grip trigger for run and 2 buttons under the the stick for say crouch toggle and jump... i would buy it if sum1 made it but they dont.
something like this...

purely for the left hand replacing the wasd with the stick...

I'm interested why do you find that you're better with a stick rather than the keyboard for movement in fps game?

Is it the analog component of the stick that you're relying on? Or is it something else?

To my knowledge there isn't a stick around that would replace the left side of the keyboard, because to face the truth, when you go that route you're not only replacing the WASD, you're also looking to replace - space, ctrl, shift, tab, 1-5, Q,E,R,F,G,Z,X,C,V and in some games even F1-4, ~, Alt.
Simply put, there's just not a stick out there that would match a keyboard in the number of keys to functionality ratio.

hmm, I see an awful lot of people mentioning track balls. But unless I'm missing something, afaik and from my personal experience with trackballs, they are not good for replacing a joystick or WASD. Reason being that trackball is by design a mouse replacement, and being that, when you don't move your mouse there's no signal from it. While say a joystick or WASD, if you hit A key and keep holding it the signal for moving left stays there. Same with joystick, you tilt it left, it will keep it there as long as you don't return to neutral position. A track ball doesn't have such a concept as neutral position, in which case I don't know how it would replace WASD or joystick.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
if you used a trackball. you would have to keep rolling it constantly like the wheel on your mouse to move.

probably better to practise with keyboard more

try keep middle finger on "W" key then fingers on either side of it perminantly on the "A" and "D" key's then you only have to think about moving the finger that is on the w

I have this for my PS3:
splitfish-frag-fx.jpg

I'd like to have an analog thumb stick on PC as well, but with a mouse. The Logitech G13 is the closest to what I want, but the thumb thing is just a D Pad instead of a stick. I don't think a nunchuck like the Splitfish Frag (the aforementioned PS3 controller) works that well on PC because you are button limited.

hehe. that actually looks pretty nice