Lotto cheat?

One of my friends was telling me that they were grouped with a guy who
seemed to win all the armor and scroll drops, but to be fair seemed to
loss the orc meat. He said that after they added 3 more players this
winning streak seemed to continue. Is it possible that the lotto
system was just out of wack that night or is there possibly a lotto
hack going ATM?
5 answers Last reply
More about lotto cheat

    Shane wrote:
    > One of my friends was telling me that they were grouped with a guy
    who
    > seemed to win all the armor and scroll drops, but to be fair seemed
    > loss the orc meat. He said that after they added 3 more players this
    > winning streak seemed to continue. Is it possible that the lotto
    > system was just out of wack that night or is there possibly a lotto
    > hack going ATM?

    I was in a group of six with two of them being friends (we were in
    RoV). That night, I think I won a total of one lotto, while those two
    friends probably won over 85% of them (I did get a couple adepts from
    NGB). The very next day, I won something like 90% of the lottos (one
    of the guys in the group threatened to report me for hacking or
    something).

    I don't think there is a hack or anything going on, but I do think the
    lotto gets on strange runs occasionally. I bet if you kept a log, as
    you get a larger sample size (assuming same group members) you would
    see it evened out. Of course, I'm pretty naive :P

    "Meaffwin" <suka_@cox.net> wrote in news:1105649764.454293.285140
    @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

    > Shane wrote:
    >> One of my friends was telling me that they were grouped with a guy who
    >> seemed to win all the armor and scroll drops, but to be fair seemed to
    >> loss the orc meat. He said that after they added 3 more players this
    >> winning streak seemed to continue. Is it possible that the lotto
    >> system was just out of wack that night or is there possibly a lotto
    >> hack going ATM?
    >
    > I was in a group of six with two of them being friends (we were in
    > RoV). That night, I think I won a total of one lotto, while those two
    > friends probably won over 85% of them (I did get a couple adepts from
    > NGB). The very next day, I won something like 90% of the lottos (one
    > of the guys in the group threatened to report me for hacking or
    > something).
    >
    > I don't think there is a hack or anything going on, but I do think the
    > lotto gets on strange runs occasionally. I bet if you kept a log, as
    > you get a larger sample size (assuming same group members) you would
    > see it evened out. Of course, I'm pretty naive :P

    Probably uses the EQ PRNG.

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
    Graeme, 21 Dwarven Mystic, 20 Sage

    Others have already discussed how the RNG in EQ tends to be streaky.

    Another thing some people do if you don't pay close attention:

    Say you're rolling with a limit of 1000, ie /ran 1000

    What I've seen people do is type /ran 900 1000

    now what happens is their result will be between 900 and 1000. The
    message will clearly say this, but oftentimes people don't pay
    attention to the range of the roll, just the rolled number. Make sure
    it says "rolled a magic dice between 0 and 1000" for each member.

    you can even force a particular number by doing something like /ran 927
    927. That will always get you 927 (but it will also state your range
    was between 927 and 927).

    An interesting side-topic by the way: I've noticed that each server
    seems to have a default range for rolls. When I played on Karana it was
    always 200-500, on Firiona it seems to be mostly 0-1000.

    --
    Kzundran, 45 Dark Elf Cleric of Firiona Vie
    Gohrus, 59 High Elf Channeler of Karana

    "Shane" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > One of my friends was telling me that they were grouped with a guy who
    > seemed to win all the armor and scroll drops, but to be fair seemed to
    > loss the orc meat. He said that after they added 3 more players this
    > winning streak seemed to continue. Is it possible that the lotto
    > system was just out of wack that night or is there possibly a lotto
    > hack going ATM?

    It does seem to go strange sometimes and favour one person above others - but it
    all tends to even out in the end. Some days I win hardly anything, then the next
    I start feeling guilty about the number of things that I'm winning!

    Rich

    In article <1105722104.464304.308470@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    reinard@blazingdot.com wrote:
    > Others have already discussed how the RNG in EQ tends to be streaky.

    The only good test I'm aware of showed that it was not streaky. A
    statistician analyzed the results of a large number of trials, and the RNG
    itself was fine.

    The places where you see streaky behavior are not due to streakyness of the
    RNG, but rather due to the designers wanting those things to be streaky.
    Spells, for example, have a higher chance of fizzling if you just fizzled an
    attempt, so you will see lots of back to back fizzles, or worse.

    --
    --Tim Smith

Games Video Games