BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
This pc is a 800 thunderbird on an Asus A7v board,when I turn the power on at the ups unit and before I hit the power button on the PC it will start running for a few seconds and then shut off and then I can press the power button on the case to start the PC. I have seen this before but can't remember why this happens. Any Clues? Thanks Bruce

Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Probably to power up the system far enough to read the bios power up settings to see whether it should power up. or not.

Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?
No, it's because the big feet get stuck on the way down and they would choke on them... besides, those feet taste like rubber...

Mike.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most ATX systems are never really "off". As soon as you connect power, they go into "stand by" mode, waiting for a trigger to power up the CPU, video card, etc. They send standby power to certain cards too, like modems and network cards.

This allows for BIOS "wake on" features, such as wake on lan, wake on ring for the modem, power on keyboard power key, or even power on mouse, if you set it that way in BIOS. BTW, power on mouse feature makes your mouse light stay on too, if it's a corded LED mouse.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>