blank screen/freezing on XP boot

bigfoot

Whenever I start up my machine, I get the following results:

Normal: After the Windows XP loading screen, I get a completely blank
screen (no cursor etc), at which point nothing happens, ever.

Safe mode (any safe mode): The system begins loaing, but freezes when
the loading hangs at Mup.sys. I don't want to disable that, because I don't
know what it does, or how important it is. Judging by current results,
something else would just freeze anyway.

I have tried manually rolling back the system registry, just in case, using
the recovery console, but no luck. Furthermore, when I tried to run a repair
install, I discovered that my disc doesn't offer that as an option; only a
complete reinstall.

I don't think this is a hardware-related issue, because I also booted up the
machine on a Gnoppix disc, and it ran fine (bar not being able to use any
files on such a backwards O/S).

I'm losing my mind. Somebody please help me. Thanks,
bigFoot

I've had a similar problem. under XP Home, after the "windows loading screen
is on for about 30 seconds, the screen goes blank, and there's no indication
of disk usage, or anything else. However, I am able to start the computer in
safe mode. When i do that and run Norton Disk Doctor, (no fix), it
invariably tells me I have problems with my security descriptors. If I then
ask to have the problems checked at reboot, dskchk runs and will usually fix
the problem. However, the problem recurs about every couple of weeks. The
last time it happened, Norton Disk Doctor, under index check, also told me I
had orphan files. Again, running dskchk upon restart eventually fixed the
problem (although only after it had run twice and I tried restarting in safe
mode).

I have no idea what's causing the recurrent problem. The machine shuts down
normally, and the problem seems unrelated to what program I've been running
prior to shutdown. However, if you can run dskchk, it MAY help fix the
problem.

"bigFoot" wrote:

> Whenever I start up my machine, I get the following results:
>
> Normal: After the Windows XP loading screen, I get a completely blank
> screen (no cursor etc), at which point nothing happens, ever.
>
> Safe mode (any safe mode): The system begins loaing, but freezes when
> the loading hangs at Mup.sys. I don't want to disable that, because I don't
> know what it does, or how important it is. Judging by current results,
> something else would just freeze anyway.
>
> I have tried manually rolling back the system registry, just in case, using
> the recovery console, but no luck. Furthermore, when I tried to run a repair
> install, I discovered that my disc doesn't offer that as an option; only a
> complete reinstall.
>
> I don't think this is a hardware-related issue, because I also booted up the
> machine on a Gnoppix disc, and it ran fine (bar not being able to use any
> files on such a backwards O/S).
>
> I'm losing my mind. Somebody please help me. Thanks,
> bigFoot

Just some stuff gleaned about Mup.sys;

Start the Recovery console or.. Start the computer with the boot disks
or Windows CDROM After the Welcome to Setup dialog box appears, press R
to repair, and then press C to start Recovery console. Choose install
Windows and log on as Administrator. At the command prompt type
"disable Mup.sys" "MUP stands for "Multiple UNC Provider" which assists
Windows in locating resources when more than one redirector is on a
machine such as "Microsoft Client for Microsoft Networks" and the
"Novell Client for Novell Netware". When a connection to a server is
requested it does not know if the request is to a Novell server or an
NT server. It will start looking for the server with the primary
protocol on the primary requestor and then continue looking for the
server on each protocol bound to each redirector until the server is
found." Restart the computer and all should be well.
May be some clue's in the above;
Treeman

--
Treeman