blank screen/freezing on XP boot

Whenever I start up my machine, I get the following results:

Normal: After the Windows XP loading screen, I get a completely blank
screen (no cursor etc), at which point nothing happens, ever.

Safe mode (any safe mode): The system begins loaing, but freezes when
the loading hangs at Mup.sys. I don't want to disable that, because I don't
know what it does, or how important it is. Judging by current results,
something else would just freeze anyway.

I have tried manually rolling back the system registry, just in case, using
the recovery console, but no luck. Furthermore, when I tried to run a repair
install, I discovered that my disc doesn't offer that as an option; only a
complete reinstall.

I don't think this is a hardware-related issue, because I also booted up the
machine on a Gnoppix disc, and it ran fine (bar not being able to use any
files on such a backwards O/S).

I'm losing my mind. Somebody please help me. Thanks,
bigFoot
2 answers Last reply
More about blank screen freezing boot

    I've had a similar problem. under XP Home, after the "windows loading screen
    is on for about 30 seconds, the screen goes blank, and there's no indication
    of disk usage, or anything else. However, I am able to start the computer in
    safe mode. When i do that and run Norton Disk Doctor, (no fix), it
    invariably tells me I have problems with my security descriptors. If I then
    ask to have the problems checked at reboot, dskchk runs and will usually fix
    the problem. However, the problem recurs about every couple of weeks. The
    last time it happened, Norton Disk Doctor, under index check, also told me I
    had orphan files. Again, running dskchk upon restart eventually fixed the
    problem (although only after it had run twice and I tried restarting in safe
    mode).

    I have no idea what's causing the recurrent problem. The machine shuts down
    normally, and the problem seems unrelated to what program I've been running
    prior to shutdown. However, if you can run dskchk, it MAY help fix the
    problem.

    "bigFoot" wrote:

    > Whenever I start up my machine, I get the following results:
    >
    > Normal: After the Windows XP loading screen, I get a completely blank
    > screen (no cursor etc), at which point nothing happens, ever.
    >
    > Safe mode (any safe mode): The system begins loaing, but freezes when
    > the loading hangs at Mup.sys. I don't want to disable that, because I don't
    > know what it does, or how important it is. Judging by current results,
    > something else would just freeze anyway.
    >
    > I have tried manually rolling back the system registry, just in case, using
    > the recovery console, but no luck. Furthermore, when I tried to run a repair
    > install, I discovered that my disc doesn't offer that as an option; only a
    > complete reinstall.
    >
    > I don't think this is a hardware-related issue, because I also booted up the
    > machine on a Gnoppix disc, and it ran fine (bar not being able to use any
    > files on such a backwards O/S).
    >
    > I'm losing my mind. Somebody please help me. Thanks,
    > bigFoot

    Just some stuff gleaned about Mup.sys;

    Start the Recovery console or.. Start the computer with the boot disks
    or Windows CDROM After the Welcome to Setup dialog box appears, press R
    to repair, and then press C to start Recovery console. Choose install
    Windows and log on as Administrator. At the command prompt type
    "disable Mup.sys" "MUP stands for "Multiple UNC Provider" which assists
    Windows in locating resources when more than one redirector is on a
    machine such as "Microsoft Client for Microsoft Networks" and the
    "Novell Client for Novell Netware". When a connection to a server is
    requested it does not know if the request is to a Novell server or an
    NT server. It will start looking for the server with the primary
    protocol on the primary requestor and then continue looking for the
    server on each protocol bound to each redirector until the server is
    found." Restart the computer and all should be well.
    May be some clue's in the above;
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman