Recommendations on a PSU please?

ildrid

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I'm looking to try building a PC from scratch and having a little difficulty figuring out PSU's. Here's what's in the works:

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard
Athalon 64 4000+
2 GeForce 6800 ultra's in SLI
1GB OCZ PC3200EL rev 2
2 74GB raptors
general small things such as a dvd burner and sound card, etc

Basically my problem is I'm not quite sure how to figure out what power supply will be able to support all of this as well as have enough of the right connectors to be able to hook everything up properly. I've been reading posts here (thank you to all posters here, btw, you're very informative) and some have mentioned running out of 4 pin connectors and some MB's requiring actual 24 pin connectors and not working with converters and don't want any of that to happen.

So, if you read this and feel like throwing me any advice on a good PSU for this setup it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Renegade87

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
ildrid,

First off, go over to <A HREF="http://takaman.jp/D/index.html?english" target="_new">takaman's Power Supply Calculator</A> and figure how many AMPS you need on each of the rails. (change the utilization from 80% to 90% and then click "YES" to the "Apply 100% utilization to drives and fans" then configure the rest as closely as you can to your current hardware)

Armed with that info, you may then want to stick to the <A HREF="http://www.slizone.com/content/slizone/build.html" target="_new">NVidia NZone Build an SLI System page</A> and scroll all the way to the bottom to see the only 4 PSU's to receive NVidia's SLI PSU certification.

I hope you still got some cash available, because the Enermax and the Silverstone are running at $179 at popular etailers. My pick? The PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 510 SLI. But, at $229 the best don't come cheap. I'm looking at a brand new one now I just got today (modded from FrozenCPU, going in tomorrow). Oh, and the PCP&C TC850ETX? well it's only about $490!! And, you need a full tower case at least 20" deep to house it. But 950 watts max!!

You could spend less (ENERMAX EG565AX-VEFMA2.0-SLI ATX12V 535W - $119) but if you're gonna spend $2000-$3000 on all that nice new hardware, do you really want anything less than the best for your new Power Rig?

"Nuke em till they glow, shoot em after dark"