Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to cl..

I have a problem with Windows Explorer closing; Message reads "Windows
Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the
inconvenience. Please tell Microsoft about this problem.

when viewing the details, it shows the cnvshell.dll as the culprit;
I ran RegSvr32 cnvshell.dll but this did not help; although I did not
reboot Windows;

can anyone shed a little more insight?

would be greatly appreciated

--
Thank you for the help
Geekbert

    Geekbert,

    Registering the module won't solve the problem. CNVSHELL.dll might be a
    shell extension (or BHO), and see if you can disable it temporarily using
    ShellExView. Download ShellExView from : http://www.nirsoft.net

    http://www.google.co.in/search?q=cnvshell%2Edll

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Geekbert" <Geekbert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a problem with Windows Explorer closing; Message reads "Windows
    > Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for
    > the
    > inconvenience. Please tell Microsoft about this problem.
    >
    > when viewing the details, it shows the cnvshell.dll as the culprit;
    > I ran RegSvr32 cnvshell.dll but this did not help; although I did not
    > reboot Windows;
    >
    > can anyone shed a little more insight?
    >
    > would be greatly appreciated
    >
    > --
    > Thank you for the help
    > Geekbert
  2. I had the same problem when I right clicked on a file or folder. After much trial and error I found out it was caused by Norton 360. I did an online chat with their support. At first they said it was a windows problem but after they took control of my computer they decided I was right but had no fix.

Windows Explorer Microsoft DLL Windows XP