Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to cl..

June 29, 2005 1:16:11 PM

I have a problem with Windows Explorer closing; Message reads "Windows
Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the
inconvenience. Please tell Microsoft about this problem.

when viewing the details, it shows the cnvshell.dll as the culprit;
I ran RegSvr32 cnvshell.dll but this did not help; although I did not
reboot Windows;

can anyone shed a little more insight?

would be greatly appreciated

--
Thank you for the help
Geekbert

Geekbert,

Registering the module won't solve the problem. CNVSHELL.dll might be a
shell extension (or BHO), and see if you can disable it temporarily using
ShellExView. Download ShellExView from : http://www.nirsoft.net

http://www.google.co.in/search?q=cnvshell%2Edll

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...

"Geekbert" <Geekbert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a problem with Windows Explorer closing; Message reads "Windows
> Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for
> the
> inconvenience. Please tell Microsoft about this problem.
>
> when viewing the details, it shows the cnvshell.dll as the culprit;
> I ran RegSvr32 cnvshell.dll but this did not help; although I did not
> reboot Windows;
>
> can anyone shed a little more insight?
>
> would be greatly appreciated
>
> --
> Thank you for the help
> Geekbert
June 4, 2009 7:27:32 PM

I had the same problem when I right clicked on a file or folder. After much trial and error I found out it was caused by Norton 360. I did an online chat with their support. At first they said it was a windows problem but after they took control of my computer they decided I was right but had no fix.
!