Requesting opinion on PSU/case for new PC

MadCat2099

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2004
Hi! I'm helping my brother build a new PC. So far we've got almost everything but the case and PSU are giving us a real headache as it's near impossible to determine who is reliable and who isn't, and many of those who are don't have their products available *cough*Fortron*cough*. So, we've narrowed down our list to these possible candidates:

<A HREF="http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=93700" target="_new">Antec SLK3700AMB w/350W SmartPower PSU</A>
<A HREF="http://www.kingwin.com/pdut_detail.asp?LineID=&CateID=46&ID=176" target="_new">Kingwin Mutant X MTX425BK w/420W Kingwin PSU</A>
<A HREF="http://www.enermax.com.tw/products_cases2.php?Tid=2&gon=279&Gid=29&Gid2=18" target="_new">Enermax CS-656TA w/350W ? PSU</A>

We're mostly looking for PSU stability for our AMD 64 3200+ S939 CPU with as an yet undecided nForce4 mobo (we'll need about 300-350W of power). We're also considering getting an Enermax PSU with a generic case, but we're having a LOT of problems finding Enermax PSUs, especially the new ATX 2.0 compliant ones, for sale in the States, let alone in Canada, where we are. So, any thoughts as to which one of these is good?

Mad Cat

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by madcat2099 on 05/04/05 06:48 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

dougjensen

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2001
Keep in mind that PSU vendors don't tell you what internal temperature they measure the specs at, and the reviewers like Tom's Hardware never question this major deception. The vendor exception is PC Power & Cooling (I am not affiliated in any way with PCP&C), see their web site. The reviewer exception is Maximum PC, see their web site. Max PC rates PCP&C as #1 and uses only that brand in their annual Ultimate PC because only it provide honest power at realistic temperatures. It is presumed that PSU vendors rate their products at 25C, but in reality the internal temperature can easily be up around 40C, at which almost all PSUs are down to about half their claimed power. Most people seem to focus on glitz like lighted fans and whatnot, ignoring the fundamental issues.

--Doug Jensen, Ph.D. Electrical and Computer Engineering

--
Doug

MadCat2099

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2004
Thanks for the info, Doug, but I haven't found any information about PSUs on Maximum PC's website. And PC Power & Cooling sells only their brands of PSU, which I've never heard of and don't know if they're trustworthy or not (I need a little more than one magazine's recommendation).

Do you have any other suggestions or avenues we can explore?

Mad Cat

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by madcat2099 on 05/04/05 05:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

adrap2

Distinguished
May 6, 2005
The PC P&C are one of the best PSU around, believe me they are very trusty and if you have the money go for it, other good ones are zippy, silverstone, obviously fortron and enermax.

MadCat2099

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2004
Well, after doing a LOT of research and after a lot of headscratching, I think we're going to to with the Enermax EG-425P-VE SFMA Noisetaker 2.0 420W PSU, as it seems to provide the best amps on the 12V rail. As for the case, we'll just have to find a nice looking but cheap case (a lot harder to do than one would think).

Thanks for all your help, guys!

Mad Cat