EQ1: Question about runner mobs and root

I know that runner mobs will start doing the death march when they get
to below 20% health. I also know that if you cast a snare type spell
on the mob before they get to 20% health, it won't attack you when
they do the death march; however, if you cast root on the mob before
it gets below 20%, it won't do the death march at all and will keep
fighting to the death while rooted. What about when the mob starts to
do the death march and you root it then? Will it change its mind and
then fight you to the death, or will it continue to do the death march
even after it's rooted?

Thanks in advance,

http://members.cox.net/batchild1
http://members.cox.net/scorseseinfo

Don Woods wrote:
> Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> writes:
> > "Batchild (Sue M.)" <batchild1@cox.net> wrote in
> >
> > > I know that runner mobs will start doing the death march when
they get
> > > to below 20% health. I also know that if you cast a snare type
spell
> > > on the mob before they get to 20% health, it won't attack you
when
> > > they do the death march; however, if you cast root on the mob
before
> > > it gets below 20%, it won't do the death march at all and will
keep
> > > fighting to the death while rooted. What about when the mob
starts to
> > > do the death march and you root it then? Will it change its mind
and
> > > then fight you to the death, or will it continue to do the death
march
> > > even after it's rooted?
> > >

> > Yes, it will fight until it either dies, or root breaks.
>
> Right, in general it doesn't matter when you cast either root or
snare.
> E.g., if you cast snare after the mob starts its death march, it'll
stop
> moving (and won't fight). If it's rooted, it fights (whether or not
it's
> also snared) until it dies or root breaks.
>
> It's also worth observing that a rooted mob will attack the nearest
PC,
> regardless of the order on its hate list. (I think it attacks a PC
in
> range even if there are pets closer to the mob, but I'm not sure.)
>
> -- Don.

A rooted MOB will attack the nearest PC in melee reach over any and all
pets that might be or have been beating on it. This is one reason why
Magician earth pets, which cast root, are not very welcome in most
groups because of the proximity aggro due to the root (e.g. the player
rogue can't move in to backstab because the MOB will turn towards him
even if a pet has inflicted substantial damage and otherwise generated
lots of hate).

=30=

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 21 Dwarven Mystic, 20 Sage

Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> writes:
> "Batchild (Sue M.)" <batchild1@cox.net> wrote in
>
> > I know that runner mobs will start doing the death march when they get
> > to below 20% health. I also know that if you cast a snare type spell
> > on the mob before they get to 20% health, it won't attack you when
> > they do the death march; however, if you cast root on the mob before
> > it gets below 20%, it won't do the death march at all and will keep
> > fighting to the death while rooted. What about when the mob starts to
> > do the death march and you root it then? Will it change its mind and
> > then fight you to the death, or will it continue to do the death march
> > even after it's rooted?
> >

> Yes, it will fight until it either dies, or root breaks.

Right, in general it doesn't matter when you cast either root or snare.
E.g., if you cast snare after the mob starts its death march, it'll stop
moving (and won't fight). If it's rooted, it fights (whether or not it's
also snared) until it dies or root breaks.

It's also worth observing that a rooted mob will attack the nearest PC,
regardless of the order on its hate list. (I think it attacks a PC in
range even if there are pets closer to the mob, but I'm not sure.)

-- Don.

-- Sukrasisx, Monk 51 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
-- Terrwini, Druid 41 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
-- http://www.iCynic.com/~don

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

In article <1105666801.873253.229300@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
hidone@hotmail.com says...

> A rooted MOB will attack the nearest PC in melee reach over any and all
> pets that might be or have been beating on it. This is one reason why
> Magician earth pets, which cast root, are not very welcome in most
> groups

Because most groups aren't very good at managing their distance to the
mob.

> because of the proximity aggro due to the root (e.g. the player
> rogue can't move in to backstab because the MOB will turn towards him
> even if a pet has inflicted substantial damage and otherwise generated
> lots of hate).

The rogue doesn't have to 'move in' to backstab.

Using root to control aggro is an effective tactic in a competent group.
Its not great in pickup groups, where you have little control of the
'flexibility' of the other members to adapt to tactics. But in my
regular groups we often use root for emergency aggro management, to let
dps classes go all out without worrying about aggro, to let lower level
enchanters get their pets involved, and several other tactics.

On 13 Jan 2005 22:51:19 GMT in
<Xns95DDA149E79BErichardrapiernetscap@130.133.1.4>, Graeme Faelban
<RichardRapier@netscape.net> graced the world with this thought:

>Yes, it will fight until it either dies, or root breaks.

....or you die...

bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net> wrote in news:hFQFd.7159$Ii4.1482
@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

> On 13 Jan 2005 22:51:19 GMT in
> <Xns95DDA149E79BErichardrapiernetscap@130.133.1.4>, Graeme Faelban
> <RichardRapier@netscape.net> graced the world with this thought:
>
>>Yes, it will fight until it either dies, or root breaks.
>
> ...or you die...

Yeah, but I hit send before I thought of that one...

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 21 Dwarven Mystic, 20 Sage

Yep, and if you have a wizard, you have snare and root. Gives the
wizard something to do in the first 50% of the fight...

--
Kzundran, 45 Dark Elf Cleric of Firiona Vie
Gohrus, 59 High Elf Channeler of Karana

42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
> Using root to control aggro is an effective tactic in a competent group.
> Its not great in pickup groups, where you have little control of the
> 'flexibility' of the other members to adapt to tactics. But in my
> regular groups we often use root for emergency aggro management, to let
> dps classes go all out without worrying about aggro, to let lower level
> enchanters get their pets involved, and several other tactics.
How do you implement the all out dps when a single nuke is likely to
break root? I can see its uses as an emergency aggro - or better cc -
tool. That aside, well it's cc. Nothing else.

Hagen

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

In article <0kt8sc.o21.ln@arellarti.fqdn.th-h.de>, durragon@web.de
says...
> 42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> How do you implement the all out dps when a single nuke is likely to
> break root?

1) There are a lot of dps classes that don't nuke. Obviously this isn't
the *best* way to let wizards unload...

2) Even with nuker heavy groups you can always re-root and if your guys
are on the ball the nukes can land a second before the root does. And if
you've got snare your timing can get a little sloppier.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Batchild (Sue M.)" <batchild1@cox.net> wrote in message
> I know that runner mobs will start doing the death march when they get
> to below 20% health. I also know that if you cast a snare type spell
> on the mob before they get to 20% health, it won't attack you when
> they do the death march; however, if you cast root on the mob before
> it gets below 20%, it won't do the death march at all and will keep
> fighting to the death while rooted. What about when the mob starts to
> do the death march and you root it then? Will it change its mind and
> then fight you to the death, or will it continue to do the death march
> even after it's rooted?
>
> Thanks in advance,

i like to think of it this way: if a mob is snared, it "thinks" it has a
chance to run because snare only slows down movement rather than stopping it
all together (of course, the low health of the mob also slows down movement,
so usually by the time it runs there is no running actually going on, but
the mob still thinks it can run because technically a snare does not root it
to a single spot and therefore it *should* be able to get away). on the
other hand, if the mob is rooted it "knows" it has no chance of escape, so
what does it do when there is zero chance of escape? fight to the death!
That's better than going down like a dumbass with its back turned when there
is no chance of escape! i guess you could say that's the role player's
point of view on the root/snare thing...

>> I know that runner mobs will start doing the death march when they get
>> to below 20% health. I also know that if you cast a snare type spell
>> on the mob before they get to 20% health, it won't attack you when
>> they do the death march; however, if you cast root on the mob before
>> it gets below 20%, it won't do the death march at all and will keep
>> fighting to the death while rooted. What about when the mob starts to
>> do the death march and you root it then? Will it change its mind and
>> then fight you to the death, or will it continue to do the death march
>> even after it's rooted?

I have a lvl 66 rng, and snare / root mobs all the time soloing. Mobs turn
to run anywhere from 20% HP down to around 10% or less (depending on the
zone you are in, and sometimes the mob in question). Rooting a mob that is
running will always make it focus its attacks on the nearest PC or pet.
Once in a while a few planar mobs won't turn to run until around 6-9% HP.

If no no has snared the mob, or snare wore off, you will see the mob running
off at normal speed. thats a sure sign to re-cast snare.

If I have a mob rooted, and know its almost to the point where it
should turn and run, then I'll cast a DD spell to break the root.

--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@FreeBSD.org or mpp@mppsystems.com

Mike Pritchard From: <mpp@mail.mppsystems.com> writes:
> If I have a mob rooted, and know its almost to the point where it
> should turn and run, then I'll cast a DD spell to break the root.

That raises a related question. When root-rotting as a druid, I
sometimes find that my DOTs run out and the mob isn't quite dead.
I could throw on another DOT, but that's slow and often wastes
mana if the mob dies partway through it. If I go up to melee it
the rest of the way down, it beats on me because it's rooted. So
I want to break the root and let it try to run (snared, of course).

I've tried casting a small DD, but that doesn't always break the
root. And a large DD again may be wasting mana. Is there a more
reliable way to break root, or should I just stick with my current
practice of continuing to med while waiting for root to wear off?

-- Don.

-- Sukrasisx, Monk 52 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
-- Terrwini, Druid 47 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
-- http://www.iCynic.com/~don

"Don Woods" <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote in message
> Mike Pritchard From: <mpp@mail.mppsystems.com> writes:
>> If I have a mob rooted, and know its almost to the point where it
>> should turn and run, then I'll cast a DD spell to break the root.
>
> That raises a related question. When root-rotting as a druid, I
> sometimes find that my DOTs run out and the mob isn't quite dead.
> I could throw on another DOT, but that's slow and often wastes
> mana if the mob dies partway through it. If I go up to melee it
> the rest of the way down, it beats on me because it's rooted. So
> I want to break the root and let it try to run (snared, of course).
>
> I've tried casting a small DD, but that doesn't always break the
> root. And a large DD again may be wasting mana. Is there a more
> reliable way to break root, or should I just stick with my current
> practice of continuing to med while waiting for root to wear off?

Throw on a damage shield, go whack on it while it's whacking on you, it'll
take damage each time it does plus what hits you're getting in on it. Just
make sure you have your regen on as well and you should be able to withstand
the hits with little or not problem at all. This will also aid in getting
your melee skills up, including the all-important defense, and if you're
channeling is maxed out, you can still cast spells while being hit with only
a slight chance of being interrupted.

--
<><><><><><><><><><><><>
Widdershins, 18th level Orc Hunter, Hellscream

Don Woods <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote in news:7wu0odtjir.fsf@ca.icynic.com:

> Mike Pritchard From: <mpp@mail.mppsystems.com> writes:
>> If I have a mob rooted, and know its almost to the point where it
>> should turn and run, then I'll cast a DD spell to break the root.
>
> That raises a related question. When root-rotting as a druid, I
> sometimes find that my DOTs run out and the mob isn't quite dead.
> I could throw on another DOT, but that's slow and often wastes
> mana if the mob dies partway through it. If I go up to melee it
> the rest of the way down, it beats on me because it's rooted. So
> I want to break the root and let it try to run (snared, of course).
>
> I've tried casting a small DD, but that doesn't always break the
> root. And a large DD again may be wasting mana. Is there a more
> reliable way to break root, or should I just stick with my current
> practice of continuing to med while waiting for root to wear off?

There is no guaranteed way to break root. DD spells have a chance to
break it, but never a guarantee. You could try dispelling, if it has
nothing else cast on it that you care about.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 24 Dwarven Mystic, 22 Sage
Aviv, 12 Gnome Brawler, 21 Craftsman

"Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message

> There is no guaranteed way to break root. DD spells have a chance to
> break it, but never a guarantee. You could try dispelling, if it has
> nothing else cast on it that you care about.

Unless, of course, you DON'T want root broken, in which case a DD spell will
break it every time. Guaranteed. :D

--
<><><><><><><><><><><><>
Widdershins, 19th level Orc Hunter, Hellscream

"Firian" <G.Booth@usm.edu> wrote in news:4214bec4$1@nntp.usm.edu:

> "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
>>
>> There is no guaranteed way to break root. DD spells have a chance to
>> break it, but never a guarantee. You could try dispelling, if it has
>> nothing else cast on it that you care about.
>
> Unless, of course, you DON'T want root broken, in which case a DD
> spell will break it every time. Guaranteed. :D

Murphy's law. Not that that has been my experience anyway...

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 25 Dwarven Mystic, 22 Sage