12XL510 Locks Up

Hello,
I have a 12XL510 running ME, approx. 3 years old. Lately I can use it for
15-20 minutes and the screen fades to snow and machine locks up. It will
come back for a few seconds once or twice, then permanent freeze. Only way
to clear it is shutting down using power button, then wait a few minutes and
turn it back on. Don't know if it's related (probably is), but today when I
forced shutdown and re-booted, it came back on in 640 x 480 mode, where it's
stuck.
Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.
Bill W

hh

Sounds like a definite hardware issue, probably heat-related. Is the fan
running OK?
HH

"Bill Wolcott" <wwolcott@xyznospamcolumbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I have a 12XL510 running ME, approx. 3 years old. Lately I can use it for
> 15-20 minutes and the screen fades to snow and machine locks up. It will
> come back for a few seconds once or twice, then permanent freeze. Only way
> to clear it is shutting down using power button, then wait a few minutes
and
> turn it back on. Don't know if it's related (probably is), but today when
> forced shutdown and re-booted, it came back on in 640 x 480 mode, where
it's
> stuck.
> Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.
> Bill W

Thanks HH for the reply. Fan seems to be running all right, i.e. whirring
noise and warm air moving out.
Any ideas on how to get my larger resolutions back?
Bill W

Bill Wolcott wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a 12XL510 running ME, approx. 3 years old. Lately I can use it
> for 15-20 minutes and the screen fades to snow and machine locks up.
> It will come back for a few seconds once or twice, then permanent
> freeze. Only way to clear it is shutting down using power button,
> then wait a few minutes and turn it back on. Don't know if it's
> related (probably is), but today when I forced shutdown and
> re-booted, it came back on in 640 x 480 mode, where it's stuck.
> Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.
> Bill W

From the description, the video card has failed, IMO.

Thanks,
Bill W