Files that cannot be Defragmented

Hi All, I defragmented my "C:" drive, and have an awful lot of files that
can't be defragmented. Can anyone tell me if these files are any good? Are
they safe to remove? How do I remove them? Will it give me more free space on
my hard drive?
Here are the files that can't be fragmented:
Fragments Size Name
6 21 MB \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE
8 434 MB \WINDOWS\Temp\DWMI8B8K.TMP
3 1 MB \WINDOWS\ASSEMBLY\NativeImages1_v1.1
3 420 KB \WINDOWS\Installer\8BDC0C.MSI
3 1 MB \Documents and Settings\All Users\
Doc.......
4 4 MB \Documents and
Settings\Jackie\NTUSER.....
50 18 MB \Documents and Settings\Jackie\Local
53 43 MB \Documents and Settings\Jackie\My
Doc....
4 1 MB \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec
3 585 KB \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec
3 7 MB \Program Files\Office\EXCEL.EXE
3 1 MB \Program Files\Disney
Interactive\Tarzan...
3 200 KB \System Volume
Information\_restore{4...
6 367 KB \Syatem Volume
Information\_restore{4...

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated - I only have 22% Free space left.
Thanks,
5 answers Last reply
More about files defragmented

    Don't know about all those files but everthing in the \TMP folder or ending
    in .TMP can be readily deleted. (Also files ending in .BAK or .OLD are ready
    for the recycle bin.)

    "jackie" <jackie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All, I defragmented my "C:" drive, and have an awful lot of files that
    > can't be defragmented. Can anyone tell me if these files are any good?
    > Are
    > they safe to remove? How do I remove them? Will it give me more free space
    > on
    > my hard drive?
    > Here are the files that can't be fragmented:
    > Fragments Size Name
    > 6 21 MB \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE
    > 8 434 MB \WINDOWS\Temp\DWMI8B8K.TMP
    > 3 1 MB
    > \WINDOWS\ASSEMBLY\NativeImages1_v1.1
    > 3 420 KB \WINDOWS\Installer\8BDC0C.MSI
    > 3 1 MB \Documents and Settings\All Users\
    > Doc.......
    > 4 4 MB \Documents and
    > Settings\Jackie\NTUSER.....
    > 50 18 MB \Documents and Settings\Jackie\Local
    > 53 43 MB \Documents and Settings\Jackie\My
    > Doc....
    > 4 1 MB \Program Files\Common
    > Files\Symantec
    > 3 585 KB \Program Files\Common
    > Files\Symantec
    > 3 7 MB \Program Files\Office\EXCEL.EXE
    > 3 1 MB \Program Files\Disney
    > Interactive\Tarzan...
    > 3 200 KB \System Volume
    > Information\_restore{4...
    > 6 367 KB \Syatem Volume
    > Information\_restore{4...
    >
    > Any help would be GREATLY appreciated - I only have 22% Free space left.
    > Thanks,

    might want to look at Power Defragmenter
    http://www.excessive-software.eu.tt/

    defrag selective paths/folder/files with windows defrag program

    "bumtracks" <lost@disney.lan> wrote in message
    > might want to look at Power Defragmenter
    > http://www.excessive-software.eu.tt/
    >
    > defrag selective paths/folder/files with windows defrag program
    >
    > "jackie" <jackie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi All, I defragmented my "C:" drive, and have an awful lot of files that
    >> can't be defragmented. Can anyone tell me if these files are any good?
    >> Are
    >> they safe to remove? How do I remove them? Will it give me more free
    >> space on
    >> my hard drive?
    >> Here are the files that can't be fragmented:
    >> Fragments Size Name
    >> 6 21 MB \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE

    Jackie,
    I'm very surprised no-one has pointed this out yet, but please DO NOT TOUCH
    \windows\system32\config\software - or, in fact, anything in that directory!
    This is essentially the registry, and if you mess that up, you will
    completely kill Windows. In fact, you would probably not even be able to
    perform a Repair Install, because if the CD cannot see what it needs in that
    directory, it assumes there is no operating system on the disc, and
    therefore nothing to repair.
    Regards,
    Steve.

    Thanks for all your advice - I tried to download Power Defragmenter from
    www.excessive-software.eu.tt but it had me download something else to get it
    to work. I didn't understand what it was telling me to do, so I just
    uninstalled them, removed some programs I don't use anymore, ran Windows
    Defragmenter, and all I have left on the report is: 2 Fragments - 434 MB -
    named: \WINDOWS\Temp\DWMI8B8K.TMP One of you told me anything with
    the TMP at the end was readily deletable, but I can't find it TO delete it.
    I ran a search but even my computer can't find it. Does anyone know what
    this file is and how I can delete it??? I'm just a little better than a
    novice when it comes to maintaining my computer, so if anyone wants to take
    the time to write me step by step instructions on how to delete this file,
    and to download Power Defragmenter, I would sure appreciate it. As for the
    post B4 this one (Steve)- that file you were talking about didn't show up on
    the defragment report this time - but I didn't mess with it - Thanks to you
    all for your advice - Have a GREAT 4th !!!!

    "stevem" wrote:

    > "bumtracks" <lost@disney.lan> wrote in message
    > > might want to look at Power Defragmenter
    > > http://www.excessive-software.eu.tt/
    > >
    > > defrag selective paths/folder/files with windows defrag program
    > >
    > > "jackie" <jackie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> Hi All, I defragmented my "C:" drive, and have an awful lot of files that
    > >> can't be defragmented. Can anyone tell me if these files are any good?
    > >> Are
    > >> they safe to remove? How do I remove them? Will it give me more free
    > >> space on
    > >> my hard drive?
    > >> Here are the files that can't be fragmented:
    > >> Fragments Size Name
    > >> 6 21 MB \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE
    >
    > Jackie,
    > I'm very surprised no-one has pointed this out yet, but please DO NOT TOUCH
    > \windows\system32\config\software - or, in fact, anything in that directory!
    > This is essentially the registry, and if you mess that up, you will
    > completely kill Windows. In fact, you would probably not even be able to
    > perform a Repair Install, because if the CD cannot see what it needs in that
    > directory, it assumes there is no operating system on the disc, and
    > therefore nothing to repair.
    > Regards,
    > Steve.

    To delete your huge .tmp file,
    from Start button click Run , type in;
    cmd /C del %windir%\Temp\DWMI8B8K.TMP

    Power Defrag;
    you normally would make a new folder,
    into that folder unzip the power defragmenter program and the contig
    programs 'into the same folder', then run Power Defrag, choose a file
    name or directory(folder) type in the path to the folder or
    filename.ext , or simply use the browse button to find it. Then push the
    go or whatever it says button - a command window will automatically open
    and you'll see it give some info quickly as it finds the file pieces and a
    clean spot to move it to as one contiguous file.

    > Thanks for all your advice - I tried to download Power Defragmenter from
    > www.excessive-software.eu.tt but it had me download something else to get
    > it
    > to work. I didn't understand what it was telling me to do, so I just
    > uninstalled them, removed some programs I don't use anymore, ran Windows
    > Defragmenter, and all I have left on the report is: 2 Fragments - 434
    > MB -
    > named: \WINDOWS\Temp\DWMI8B8K.TMP One of you told me anything
    > with
    > the TMP at the end was readily deletable, but I can't find it TO delete
    > it.
    > I ran a search but even my computer can't find it. Does anyone know what
    > this file is and how I can delete it??? I'm just a little better than a
    > novice when it comes to maintaining my computer, so if anyone wants to
    > take
    > the time to write me step by step instructions on how to delete this file,
    > and to download Power Defragmenter, I would sure appreciate it. As for
    > the
    > post B4 this one (Steve)- that file you were talking about didn't show up
    > on
    > the defragment report this time - but I didn't mess with it - Thanks to
    > you
    > all for your advice - Have a GREAT 4th !!!!
    >
    > "stevem" wrote:
    >

    >> "bumtracks" <lost@disney.lan> wrote in message
    >> > might want to look at Power Defragmenter
    >> > http://www.excessive-software.eu.tt/
    >> >
    >> > defrag selective paths/folder/files with windows defrag program
    >> >
    >> > "jackie" <jackie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Jackie,
    >> I'm very surprised no-one has pointed this out yet, but please DO NOT
    >> TOUCH
    >> \windows\system32\config\software - or, in fact, anything in that
    >> directory!
    >> This is essentially the registry, and if you mess that up, you will
    >> completely kill Windows. In fact, you would probably not even be able to
    >> perform a Repair Install, because if the CD cannot see what it needs in
    >> that
    >> directory, it assumes there is no operating system on the disc, and
    >> therefore nothing to repair.
    >> Regards,
    >> Steve.

Windows XP