Hard drive reving up periodically..

Whenever I'm on this pc you can hear the hard drive rev up at random times
and I'm not sure if this is normal. I have run adaware se, spybot, yahoo
antispy, avast antivirus and everything is clean. I just want to know if this
action is normal and/or is there a way I can make it stop? This pc is a Sony
Vaio PCV-W30 running Windows XP SP 2. I also have a ton of extra space on
both internal hd's, not sure if that's relevant or not.

I don't know for sure, but, what you may be hearing is your box's cooling
fan revving up, not your HD. Depending on a lot of factors such as a dirty
box interior, programs running in the background, heavy CPU demand, etc.,
this is normal.

Sandman

What JCA said sounds reasonable, unless you are certain it is, in fact, the
HD. I run my 2005 BMW Mini off my very powerful PC with a remote and at
traffic lights it does rev-up sometimes and the distinctive exhaust sound is
clearly audible to my daughter when she is on the computer at home. Just
kidding.