Antec PlusView 1000 side panel fan direction

edcarman

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2004
I have an Antec Plusview 1000AMG (<A HREF="http://www.antec-inc.com/pro_details_enclosure.php?ProdID=90510" target="_new">http://www.antec-inc.com/pro_details_enclosure.php?ProdID=90510</A>) case with an ASUS A8N-SLID motherboard and XFX GF6800GT graphics card. I have mounted the two front fans as intake fans, and the two rear fans as exhaust fans. The problem arises with mounting the fan in the side panel - the manual does not mention which direction it should go.

So my question is:
Should the side panel fan be mounted as an intake or an exhaust fan?

My gut feeling is that it should be an exhaust fan:
- it is mounted near the rear of the case with the other exhaust fans
- the 6800GT acts as a fairly effective baffle, blocking airflow between the fan and exhaust fans if it is used as an intake

On the other hand, as an intake, it gives the case three intake points (2 front, 1 side) and three exhaust points (2 rear, PSU).

So for those of you who own this case or the 1080, which direction do you have the fan? Others feel free to make some suggestions (with some motivation for the choice).

Cheers
Ed

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I would mount it as an intake. It is hard for me to tell exactly where the side fan is but it can't hurt having cool air coming in that close to the CPU, memory and Graphics card.

My last case had a side fan and using it for an intake made a lot of difference in my temps.

....WW (5.1)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Normally side fans are for blowing cool air into your CPU and VGA coolers. Into has the same root as intake...

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

edcarman

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2004
Thanks for the replies so far.

It seems like I will go the intake route; although I'm still slightly concerned about the 6800GT blocking airflow to the CPU.

I should finish building the system today and then I'll run some tests for the three configurations (intake, exhaust, no fan).

Does anyone know of some software that I can use to log the temperatures of the CPU and graphics card etc.

Cheers
Ed