DOS Soundcard Drivers for Presario 5360?

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
July 28, 2004 11:09:05 PM

Hello,

If anyone can point me towards a way to run some kind of DOS drivers
for my soundcard (I have just the on-board card which came with the
Presario 5360).

I have tried using generic Soundblaster drivers, but it says it cannot
find the soundcard.

I assume it is an ESS Solo 1938 like the website talks about. Is there
a way to use the Windows 98 drivers directly in DOS?

I have set up a DOS 6.22 drive and boot directly to it using System
Commander. Everything works fine, but I cannot get the sound going.

Any help would be appreciated...

Tim
July 29, 2004 10:53:44 AM

Normally, the DOS game or app must supply the drivers. Do you have a SET
BLASTER line in your autoexec.bat file? You need one to tell the game/app
the address and interrupt of the sound hardware for Soundblaster emulation
in a pure DOS setting. If the line is not there, right-click on the
autoexec.bat file in the C:\ directory and select EDIT from the menu. Add
the following line anywhere:
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1
Then save the file, reboot and see if the sound hardware works in DOS.
HH

"Tim" <timtoner@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> If anyone can point me towards a way to run some kind of DOS drivers
> for my soundcard (I have just the on-board card which came with the
> Presario 5360).
>
> I have tried using generic Soundblaster drivers, but it says it cannot
> find the soundcard.
>
> I assume it is an ESS Solo 1938 like the website talks about. Is there
> a way to use the Windows 98 drivers directly in DOS?
>
> I have set up a DOS 6.22 drive and boot directly to it using System
> Commander. Everything works fine, but I cannot get the sound going.
>
> Any help would be appreciated...
>
> Tim
Related resources
July 30, 2004 11:49:01 PM

terry_b17@juno-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (terry_b17) wrote in message news:<41087a62$1_4@news.athenanews.com>...
> Tim ,
> go to http://www.esstech.com/techsupp/drivers.shtm#pci
> under the heading audio isa audiodrive there is a dos installer for
> the audiodrive and the 1938 chipset .
> hope this helps ,
> terry
>
> ==============
> Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.

Hello,

I downloaded the file: ESS_DOS_config.zip and I ran the program
ESSCFG, but it says that it did not detect a soundcard, so it did not
go any further...
Remember, I do have an on-board (on the motherboard) soundcard. Is
this the right file I should have been shooting for?

Tim
July 31, 2004 10:58:05 AM

Did you add the SET BLASTER line to your autoexec.bat file???

> terry_b17@juno-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (terry_b17) wrote in message
> > Tim ,
> > go to http://www.esstech.com/techsupp/drivers.shtm#pci
> > under the heading audio isa audiodrive there is a dos installer for
> > the audiodrive and the 1938 chipset .
> > hope this helps ,
> > terry
> >
> > ==============
> > Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware
troubleshooting newsgroups.

> Hello,
>
> I downloaded the file: ESS_DOS_config.zip and I ran the program
> ESSCFG, but it says that it did not detect a soundcard, so it did not
> go any further...
> Remember, I do have an on-board (on the motherboard) soundcard. Is
> this the right file I should have been shooting for?
>
> Tim
August 1, 2004 11:01:31 PM

Yes I did in previous trials of everything that I did. For example:

AUTOEXEC.BAT

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330
SET CTSYN=C:\DOSDRV
C:\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
rem C:\WINDOWS\SMARTDRV.EXE

CONFIG.SYS

DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS NOVCPI
DOS=HIGH,UMB

And it says that it cannot find the PCI card. I don't actually have a
PCI card, of course, though...

However, when I ran the ESSCFG program below, it wouldn't even set up
my autoexec or anything because it said it could not find the
soundcard.

Have you ever gotten this kind of thing to work?

"HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<WVKOc.213$qB1.53@fe25.usenetserver.com>...
> Did you add the SET BLASTER line to your autoexec.bat file???
> HH
>
> "Tim" <timtoner@aol.com> wrote in message
> > terry_b17@juno-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (terry_b17) wrote in message
> > > Tim ,
> > > go to http://www.esstech.com/techsupp/drivers.shtm#pci
> > > under the heading audio isa audiodrive there is a dos installer for
> > > the audiodrive and the 1938 chipset .
> > > hope this helps ,
> > > terry
> > >
> > > ==============
> > > Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware
> troubleshooting newsgroups.
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I downloaded the file: ESS_DOS_config.zip and I ran the program
> > ESSCFG, but it says that it did not detect a soundcard, so it did not
> > go any further...
> > Remember, I do have an on-board (on the motherboard) soundcard. Is
> > this the right file I should have been shooting for?
> >
> > Tim
August 2, 2004 10:31:52 AM

Granted, but the onboard ESS audio is accessed via the PCI bus/controller.
You might be better off buying a $10 PCI sound card that comes with DOS
drivers. C-Media has several 8738 chip cards for around that price. Try
here:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=proper...

> Yes I did in previous trials of everything that I did. For example:
>
> AUTOEXEC.BAT
>
> SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330
> SET CTSYN=C:\DOSDRV
> C:\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
> rem C:\WINDOWS\SMARTDRV.EXE
>
> CONFIG.SYS
>
> DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
> DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS NOVCPI
> DOS=HIGH,UMB
>
> And it says that it cannot find the PCI card. I don't actually have a
> PCI card, of course, though...
>

> However, when I ran the ESSCFG program below, it wouldn't even set up
> my autoexec or anything because it said it could not find the
> soundcard.
>
> Have you ever gotten this kind of thing to work?
>

> "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Did you add the SET BLASTER line to your autoexec.bat file???
> > HH
> >
> > "Tim" <timtoner@aol.com> wrote in message
> > > terry_b17@juno-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (terry_b17) wrote in message

> > troubleshooting newsgroups.
> > >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I downloaded the file: ESS_DOS_config.zip and I ran the program
> > > ESSCFG, but it says that it did not detect a soundcard, so it did not
> > > go any further...
> > > Remember, I do have an on-board (on the motherboard) soundcard. Is
> > > this the right file I should have been shooting for?
> > >
> > > Tim
August 28, 2004 9:28:32 AM

timtoner@aol.com (Tim) wrote in message news:<ce9d68f9.0407281809.31f2d2a1@posting.google.com>...
> Hello,
>
> If anyone can point me towards a way to run some kind of DOS drivers
> for my soundcard (I have just the on-board card which came with the
> Presario 5360).
>
> I have tried using generic Soundblaster drivers, but it says it cannot
> find the soundcard.
>
> I assume it is an ESS Solo 1938 like the website talks about. Is there
> a way to use the Windows 98 drivers directly in DOS?
>
> I have set up a DOS 6.22 drive and boot directly to it using System
> Commander. Everything works fine, but I cannot get the sound going.
>
> Any help would be appreciated...
>
> Tim

I will try to remember where I found it, but there is a DOS driver
called ESSOLO.COM that you can run (not even within the autoexec),
that does not even take up any memory that works fine. You just boot
into DOS and run ESSOLO.COM and it works fine. I'll try to remember
where I found it...
!