Blizzard Bans, Suspends More SC2 Cheaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainnemojr

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
How I play in single player should have no effect on what my ranking is online. I can own in single and get owned in multi because a real person is better than AI. If I want to use cheat codes just to mess around on single player, then I should have that right. Hacking, on the other hand, I can see banning.

Graham_71

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
I don't have SC2 but good, cheaters ruin games and im glad to see someone finally doing something about it, wish Quake 3 had it's cheaters banned back in the day.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Good. Keep them out of my games. Hope they get more soon. Say what you will about Blizzard, but they are damn good about keeping their games clean.

f-14

Distinguished
"If a StarCraft 2 player is found to be cheating or using hacks or modifications in any form, then as outlined in our end user license agreement, that player can be permanently banned from the game," the company in October. "This means that the player will be permanently unable to log in to Battle.net to play StarCraft 2 with his or her account. Playing StarCraft 2 legitimately means playing with an unaltered game client."/quote]

guess blizzard better get used to the idea that of those 2 million people banned some are going to start up private servers and modify the game client to work around and eliminate battlenet from the code, just like all the other games out there. yes it violates the DMCA and a bunch of other laws. they obviously didn't care since they used cheats not to mention there's going to be people outside of the USofA's long arms of justice. chinese companies have already modified blizzard code with their prior games and gotten away with doing this to their other games prior to WOW and are still going today. i don't know that it has happened to WOW or SC2 yet as i have never bothered to look or ask around.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
I'm not feeling this. These people paid their money for the games and I assume if you get banned you can't log in which stop for even playing single player.

I know its the popular thing to say cheaters ruin games blah blah blah and they probably do but if you gonna ban a person to where they can no longer play something they paid for then i'm not for it.

If you want to ban them, that's fine just give them their money back for the game they paid for.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
The difference is when you pay for that gym member ship you're paying to use their equipment in their building.

Games have single player components which contrary to popular though many of us still play. When someone is banned the company is saying not only can you not play online which is fine since they broke the rules, but their also saying we won't allow you to play the single player anymore either. That's not cool.

If I use cheat codes and make the game no fun for other players then I understand who i'm banned from the servers. Why does me being banned from playing with others have to do with me playing the single player component of a game I bought?

I don't play SC2 and have no interest in it, but it just pisses me off that you can pay for a game and still have to follow the companies rules to even play it offline.

kevinqx

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
[citation][nom]captainnemojr[/nom]How I play in single player should have no effect on what my ranking is online. I can own in single and get owned in multi because a real person is better than AI. If I want to use cheat codes just to mess around on single player, then I should have that right. Hacking, on the other hand, I can see banning.[/citation]

Blizzard has cheat codes they put in the game that they allow anyone to use in single player. Using them will negate achievement advancement.

The cheats they do not allow are the third party trainers that modify the game client. These do not disable achievement advancement.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
Its that kinda attitude that tells companies "we will let you walk all over us". Cats like you are the reason companies think its ok to charge for online game play and to unlock content that's on the disc cause you will stand up for them regardless.

I love how calling nonsense what it is = bitching to sheep.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]captainnemojr[/nom]How I play in single player should have no effect on what my ranking is online. I can own in single and get owned in multi because a real person is better than AI. If I want to use cheat codes just to mess around on single player, then I should have that right. Hacking, on the other hand, I can see banning.[/citation]
You can use the cheat codes in single player in sc2, but blizzard disables the achievements from there on for that game. Blizzard is banning those with a hacked game that allows them to cheat in single player without disabling the achievements. So if you ask me they got what they deserved.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006

Just my thought! I spend a lot of my 'game time' with a memory editor fooling around in games. If I'd do that in starcraft 2 (which I refuse to buy thanks to the past experiences with injust banning of my games), I'd certainly get banned as well. And I'm sort of afraid they'd take my wow account too just for good measure. Which I'd really not like (wow hasn't got singleplayer, so the only 'hack' I'd want to apply was enable LAA in their otherwise crappy client software)

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
If people feel like cheating in order to explore different possibilities with ease... they can do so with regular cheat codes...

I don't see why people defend those who hack the game client.

It's a great game and I don't blame blizzard for enforcing simple rules.

bigpoppastuke

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Using built-in cheats for the purpose of fun I can understand, but being banned for using something thats already in the game? That's just ridiculous. Just disable acheivements when they are activated, Blizzard!

For third-party programs, you should be able to play single player with them but I also understand that it does circumvent acheivements

As for multiplayer, yes bannings should continue! damn cheaters!

quotas47

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom](wow hasn't got singleplayer, so the only 'hack' I'd want to apply was enable LAA in their otherwise crappy client software)[/citation]

What is LAA? I'm not familiar with that acronym.

tom thumb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
I don't get why using cheats in single player would be banned. They say it affects prestige in multiplayer - but what if a player wants to opt out of multi? I guess that's a no go.

SC2 is a strictly multiplayer game, since you have to log-in to play single player. What if you don't have an internet connection? No starcraft for you.

It might be a great game once you actually get to play, but it's so badly managed that it turns itself mediocre at best overall.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Does anyone have knowledge of what these multiplayer cheats do? I was playing a game, building the most efficient way I can (had practicallly zero min and gas) and building air as quick as possible. Had two voids, and one of the other team had about 6 carriers!!?!?! Is there a known multiplayer money cheat?

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]BigPoppaStuke[/nom]Using built-in cheats for the purpose of fun I can understand, but being banned for using something thats already in the game? That's just ridiculous. Just disable acheivements when they are activated, Blizzard![/citation]

RTFA. They aren't banning for using the built in cheat codes, they are banning for using 3rd party ones that don't disable the achievements. R.I.F.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]quotas47[/nom]What is LAA? I'm not familiar with that acronym.[/citation]

Large Address Awareness

It enables 32bit software to take advantage of more than the 2GB memory they're normally capped at. Wow has this disabled by default. Enabling it actually works (tried when addons kept running out of memory), but violates their eula, as it's considered altering of the gaming client. Ironicly modding the game client's settings files aren't considered altering the gaming client, although technically there's no difference.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]c00lit[/nom]If people feel like cheating in order to explore different possibilities with ease...[/citation]

What if people want to cheat for different reasons? What if one wants to change a dialog text for a screenshot or something?
I don't get why people have to be forced to use the software only the way activision blizzard intended? When I bought my accord, honda didn't demand me to sign something forcing me to only use it on public roads and always adhere to the trafic laws. They were perfectly fine selling me a car that I was allowed to change springs on and drive offroad if I wanted, or change it into a racer for track use if I'd please.
Now blizzard's different. You play the game exactly the way they dictate, or they'll stop you from playing while still taking your money.

G

i don't think they're talking about cheat codes in game. i think they mean hacks on singles player. cheat codes would be built so it wouldn't be a hack or a third party software, unless your using a hack or software to circumvent the dis-use of the cheat codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.