Replacing a damaged dll file

Is there a way to replace a bad file?

I need to repair or replace mapi32.dll so that I can get Outlook and Windows
Explorer working.

Thanks,
--
John
6 answers Last reply

    Run System File Checker.

    Load your XP CD in your CD drive.

    Start | Run | Type: sfc /scannow | Click OK

    If you have XP Home and it asks for your XP Pro CD, see this KB article...

    You may be prompted to insert a Windows XP Professional CD when you run the
    System File Checker tool in Windows XP Home Edition
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;897128

    scannow sfc (sfc.exe)
    http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

    Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker
    (Sfc.exe)
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310747

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:B23C076A-055F-48EC-BF2B-487E7A7985D5@microsoft.com,
    John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Is there a way to replace a bad file?
    >
    > I need to repair or replace mapi32.dll so that I can get Outlook and
    > Windows Explorer working.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --
    > John

    Or, you can download the required dll free of charge here:
    http://www.dll-files.com/

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Run System File Checker.
    >
    > Load your XP CD in your CD drive.
    >
    > Start | Run | Type: sfc /scannow | Click OK
    >
    > If you have XP Home and it asks for your XP Pro CD, see this KB article...
    >
    > You may be prompted to insert a Windows XP Professional CD when you run the
    > System File Checker tool in Windows XP Home Edition
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;897128
    >
    > scannow sfc (sfc.exe)
    > http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
    >
    > Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker
    > (Sfc.exe)
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310747
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:B23C076A-055F-48EC-BF2B-487E7A7985D5@microsoft.com,
    > John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Is there a way to replace a bad file?
    > >
    > > I need to repair or replace mapi32.dll so that I can get Outlook and
    > > Windows Explorer working.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > --
    > > John

    Sorry, I looked at the file on their system and it's almost a year older and
    the description is in some language other than English. I don't trust it.

    Thanks anyway.
    --
    John

    "rosebeauty" wrote:

    > Or, you can download the required dll free of charge here:
    > http://www.dll-files.com/
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    > > Run System File Checker.
    > >
    > > Load your XP CD in your CD drive.
    > >
    > > Start | Run | Type: sfc /scannow | Click OK
    > >
    > > If you have XP Home and it asks for your XP Pro CD, see this KB article...
    > >
    > > You may be prompted to insert a Windows XP Professional CD when you run the
    > > System File Checker tool in Windows XP Home Edition
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;897128
    > >
    > > scannow sfc (sfc.exe)
    > > http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
    > >
    > > Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker
    > > (Sfc.exe)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > >
    > > Wes
    > > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >
    > > In news:B23C076A-055F-48EC-BF2B-487E7A7985D5@microsoft.com,
    > > John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > > Is there a way to replace a bad file?
    > > >
    > > > I need to repair or replace mapi32.dll so that I can get Outlook and
    > > > Windows Explorer working.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > --
    > > > John

    Wes,

    I may be hosed here. It tells me that my install CD is different thatn the
    version installed. Of course it is, I have SP-2. What now?

    Right now I'm clicking cancel and yes every time it asks for the CD.
    --
    John

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Run System File Checker.
    >
    > Load your XP CD in your CD drive.
    >
    > Start | Run | Type: sfc /scannow | Click OK
    >
    > If you have XP Home and it asks for your XP Pro CD, see this KB article...
    >
    > You may be prompted to insert a Windows XP Professional CD when you run the
    > System File Checker tool in Windows XP Home Edition
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;897128
    >
    > scannow sfc (sfc.exe)
    > http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
    >
    > Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker
    > (Sfc.exe)
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310747
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:B23C076A-055F-48EC-BF2B-487E7A7985D5@microsoft.com,
    > John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Is there a way to replace a bad file?
    > >
    > > I need to repair or replace mapi32.dll so that I can get Outlook and
    > > Windows Explorer working.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > --
    > > John

    John,

    Mapi32.dll exists on the XP CD, but it's in a .CAB file, not just a
    compressed version of a single file.

    What version of Outlook are you using?

    What error message(s) are you getting?

    See if one of these helps...

    OL2000: How to Replace a Missing or Damaged Mapi32.dll File
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260970

    OL97: How to Replace a Missing or Damaged Mapi32.dll File
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;258848

    OL2000: "Omi9.dll" Error Message or "Mapi32.dll" Error Message After You
    Upgrade to Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318662

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:465F3A59-D29B-4754-B7D7-FEA9476FA809@microsoft.com,
    John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Wes,
    >
    > I may be hosed here. It tells me that my install CD is different thatn the
    > version installed. Of course it is, I have SP-2. What now?
    >
    > Right now I'm clicking cancel and yes every time it asks for the CD.
    > --
    > John
    >

    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Run System File Checker.
    >>
    >> Load your XP CD in your CD drive.
    >>
    >> Start | Run | Type: sfc /scannow | Click OK
    >>
    >> If you have XP Home and it asks for your XP Pro CD, see this KB
    >> article...
    >>
    >> You may be prompted to insert a Windows XP Professional CD when you run
    >> the System File Checker tool in Windows XP Home Edition
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;897128
    >>
    >> scannow sfc (sfc.exe)
    >> http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
    >>
    >> Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker
    >> (Sfc.exe)
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310747
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:B23C076A-055F-48EC-BF2B-487E7A7985D5@microsoft.com,
    >> John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Is there a way to replace a bad file?
    >>>
    >>> I need to repair or replace mapi32.dll so that I can get Outlook and
    >>> Windows Explorer working.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> --
    >>> John

    Wes,

    OL2003.

    The error message tells me that OL "...can not open because mapi32.dll is
    corrupt or the wrong version. This could have been caused by installing other
    messaging software. Please reinstall Outlook."

    Problem #2 is that my Office 2003 CD is an upgrade and it asks for the
    orignal CD.

    Problem #3 is that I have Office at the SP-1+ level, so if the mapi32 was
    changed from the release version it's wrong too.

    The workaround in the KB260970 doesn't work with OL2003.

    I was told on Friday by MSTS that they could supply me with a PID (which has
    vanished from all my Office apps) to fake a full install CD. I have to wait
    until Tuesday now to get back to them.

    This all started with HP Tech telling me to delete all the install folders
    in the registry to complete a level 4 uninstall so that my printer would work
    agian. I specifically asked him if he meant the whole folder not just part.
    "The whole folder." I saved a backup of the original registry using regedit.
    It didn't bring it back to the original state.

    Thanks for helping.
    --
    John

Microsoft DLL Windows XP