Replacing a damaged dll file

July 1, 2005 8:15:02 PM

Is there a way to replace a bad file?

I need to repair or replace mapi32.dll so that I can get Outlook and Windows
Explorer working.

Thanks,
--
John
Anonymous

Run System File Checker.

Load your XP CD in your CD drive.

Start | Run | Type: sfc /scannow | Click OK

If you have XP Home and it asks for your XP Pro CD, see this KB article...

You may be prompted to insert a Windows XP Professional CD when you run the
System File Checker tool in Windows XP Home Edition
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;897128

scannow sfc (sfc.exe)
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker
(Sfc.exe)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310747

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:B23C076A-055F-48EC-BF2B-487E7A7985D5@microsoft.com,
John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Is there a way to replace a bad file?
>
> I need to repair or replace mapi32.dll so that I can get Outlook and
> Windows Explorer working.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> John
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 11:00:02 PM

Or, you can download the required dll free of charge here:
http://www.dll-files.com/

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Run System File Checker.
>
> Load your XP CD in your CD drive.
>
> Start | Run | Type: sfc /scannow | Click OK
>
> If you have XP Home and it asks for your XP Pro CD, see this KB article...
>
> You may be prompted to insert a Windows XP Professional CD when you run the
> System File Checker tool in Windows XP Home Edition
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;897128
>
> scannow sfc (sfc.exe)
> http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
>
> Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker
> (Sfc.exe)
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310747
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:B23C076A-055F-48EC-BF2B-487E7A7985D5@microsoft.com,
> John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Is there a way to replace a bad file?
> >
> > I need to repair or replace mapi32.dll so that I can get Outlook and
> > Windows Explorer working.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --
> > John

Related resources
July 2, 2005 9:39:05 AM

Sorry, I looked at the file on their system and it's almost a year older and
the description is in some language other than English. I don't trust it.

Thanks anyway.
--
John

"rosebeauty" wrote:

> Or, you can download the required dll free of charge here:
> http://www.dll-files.com/
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
> > Run System File Checker.
> >
> > Load your XP CD in your CD drive.
> >
> > Start | Run | Type: sfc /scannow | Click OK
> >
> > If you have XP Home and it asks for your XP Pro CD, see this KB article...
> >
> > You may be prompted to insert a Windows XP Professional CD when you run the
> > System File Checker tool in Windows XP Home Edition
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;897128
> >
> > scannow sfc (sfc.exe)
> > http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
> >
> > Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker
> > (Sfc.exe)
> >
> > --
> > Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >
> > Wes
> > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >
> > In news:B23C076A-055F-48EC-BF2B-487E7A7985D5@microsoft.com,
> > John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > > Is there a way to replace a bad file?
> > >
> > > I need to repair or replace mapi32.dll so that I can get Outlook and
> > > Windows Explorer working.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > --
> > > John

July 2, 2005 9:49:11 AM

Wes,

I may be hosed here. It tells me that my install CD is different thatn the
version installed. Of course it is, I have SP-2. What now?

Right now I'm clicking cancel and yes every time it asks for the CD.
--
John

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Run System File Checker.
>
> Load your XP CD in your CD drive.
>
> Start | Run | Type: sfc /scannow | Click OK
>
> If you have XP Home and it asks for your XP Pro CD, see this KB article...
>
> You may be prompted to insert a Windows XP Professional CD when you run the
> System File Checker tool in Windows XP Home Edition
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;897128
>
> scannow sfc (sfc.exe)
> http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
>
> Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker
> (Sfc.exe)
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310747
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:B23C076A-055F-48EC-BF2B-487E7A7985D5@microsoft.com,
> John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Is there a way to replace a bad file?
> >
> > I need to repair or replace mapi32.dll so that I can get Outlook and
> > Windows Explorer working.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --
> > John

Anonymous
July 2, 2005 1:00:59 PM

John,

Mapi32.dll exists on the XP CD, but it's in a .CAB file, not just a
compressed version of a single file.

What version of Outlook are you using?

What error message(s) are you getting?

See if one of these helps...

OL2000: How to Replace a Missing or Damaged Mapi32.dll File
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260970

OL97: How to Replace a Missing or Damaged Mapi32.dll File
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;258848

OL2000: "Omi9.dll" Error Message or "Mapi32.dll" Error Message After You
Upgrade to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318662

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:465F3A59-D29B-4754-B7D7-FEA9476FA809@microsoft.com,
John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Wes,
>
> I may be hosed here. It tells me that my install CD is different thatn the
> version installed. Of course it is, I have SP-2. What now?
>
> Right now I'm clicking cancel and yes every time it asks for the CD.
> --
> John
>

> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> Run System File Checker.
>>
>> Load your XP CD in your CD drive.
>>
>> Start | Run | Type: sfc /scannow | Click OK
>>
>> If you have XP Home and it asks for your XP Pro CD, see this KB
>> article...
>>
>> You may be prompted to insert a Windows XP Professional CD when you run
>> the System File Checker tool in Windows XP Home Edition
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;897128
>>
>> scannow sfc (sfc.exe)
>> http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
>>
>> Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker
>> (Sfc.exe)
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310747
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:B23C076A-055F-48EC-BF2B-487E7A7985D5@microsoft.com,
>> John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Is there a way to replace a bad file?
>>>
>>> I need to repair or replace mapi32.dll so that I can get Outlook and
>>> Windows Explorer working.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> --
>>> John
July 2, 2005 3:27:04 PM

Wes,

OL2003.

The error message tells me that OL "...can not open because mapi32.dll is
corrupt or the wrong version. This could have been caused by installing other
messaging software. Please reinstall Outlook."

Problem #2 is that my Office 2003 CD is an upgrade and it asks for the
orignal CD.

Problem #3 is that I have Office at the SP-1+ level, so if the mapi32 was
changed from the release version it's wrong too.

The workaround in the KB260970 doesn't work with OL2003.

I was told on Friday by MSTS that they could supply me with a PID (which has
vanished from all my Office apps) to fake a full install CD. I have to wait
until Tuesday now to get back to them.

This all started with HP Tech telling me to delete all the install folders
in the registry to complete a level 4 uninstall so that my printer would work
agian. I specifically asked him if he meant the whole folder not just part.
"The whole folder." I saved a backup of the original registry using regedit.
It didn't bring it back to the original state.

Thanks for helping.
--
John

!