XP Pro SP1

From out of nowhere, I see about 700 files in my users
documents&settings recent folder....
The names are strange and undecipherable....dates from the past and well
into the future....

When I try to delete them, they indicate "cannot delete...cannot read
from disk or source file."

I have tried every unlocker program...defrag...from a safe/command
prompt plus every trick I know, but nothing works....

I am aware that M$ locks this file in some strange way, but I would
appreciate any help.

Thanks....

burris

Please be mature and do not refer to Microsoft as "M$"
if you expect some help in a Microsoft sponsored newsgroup.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> Please be mature and do not refer to Microsoft as "M$"
> if you expect some help in a Microsoft sponsored newsgroup.

Sorry....My apologies....

burris

My Recent Documents or %homepath%\Recent should have shortcuts in it, not
the real files.

Sounds like you have a virus or some other malware.

Update your antivirus software and run a full system scan.

Also scan for spyware.

HijackThis has a Delete a file on reboot tool.

[[How to use the Delete on Reboot tool
At times you may find a file that stubbornly refuses to be deleted by
conventional means. HijackThis introduced, in version 1.98.2, a method to
have Windows delete the file as it boots up, before the file has the chance
to load. To do this follow these steps:

1. Start Hijackthis
2. Click on the Config button
3. Click on the Misc Tools button
4. Click on the button labeled Delete a file on reboot...
5. A new window will open asking you to select the file that you would like
to delete on reboot. Navigate to the file and click on it once, and
then click on the Open button.
6. You will now be asked if you would like to reboot your computer to
delete the file. Click on the Yes button if you would like to reboot
now, otherwise click on the No button to reboot later. ]]
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=42#delreb
-----

HijackThis

HijackThis log tutorial
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/htlogtutorial.html

HijackThis Log Tutorial
http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm

How to use HijackThis to remove Browser Hijackers & Spyware
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=42#warning

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:Kd6dnUZ1_oGpaFjfRVn-pw@comcast.com,
burris <responder@comcast.net> hunted and pecked:
> XP Pro SP1
>
> From out of nowhere, I see about 700 files in my users
> documents&settings recent folder....
> The names are strange and undecipherable....dates from the past and well
> into the future....
>
> When I try to delete them, they indicate "cannot delete...cannot read
> from disk or source file."
>
> I have tried every unlocker program...defrag...from a safe/command
> prompt plus every trick I know, but nothing works....
>
> I am aware that M$ locks this file in some strange way, but I would
> appreciate any help.
>
> Thanks....
>
> burris

"Please be mature and do not refer to Microsoft as "M$" if you expect
some help in a Microsoft sponsored newsgroup.

Boy that was a severe reprimand! No help, but a good dressing down.
Free speech & exchange of ideas are also part of the newgroup, as long
as it's not abusive or vulgar. Without the end-user there would be no
need for a Microsoft sponsored newsgroup.

Get up on the wrong side of the bed Carey?
Treeman

--
Treeman