Computer applications hang after connection to broadband

July 2, 2005 10:47:01 AM

Hi,

I am using win xp wiht sp2 and all recommended patches etc from the MS
update page.

My problem is as follows:
I boot my computer with no apparent problems. Anti virus programs etc load
ok. When I connect to Broadband (Pipex) ALL applications freeze for
approximately 5 - 8 minutes. You can click on the desktop icons or start menu
and nothing happens. Suddenly the applications will run after 5 mins or so.
There are no error messages. Everything just hangs. I also have a wireless
connection to a lap top but I have tried booting with this disconnected etc.
I've tried stopping certain progs from starting up but nothing seems to make
a difference.
In device manager everything appears ok. After 5 - 8 minutes there are no
further problems and the machine is very stable and I can't remember the last
time it crashed. I regularly check for virus, adware, spyware etc and all
report a clean system. I hope I've given enough infomation. Any ideas please?
Thanks in advance.
July 3, 2005 2:56:20 AM

The last time I chased this with a lan system connected to a router and DSL
modem, it turned out to be the antivirus software.