Presario 5352 freezes when a DVD is inserted.

Hi, a friend of mine installed/uninstalled a Dazzle flash card reader in his
Presario a while back, and ever since, the DVD drive won't play DVDs. No clue
if the two things have anything to do with each other.

Audio CDs play fine in the drive, data cds work, but the DVDs go to a black
screen and even ctrl+alt+del doesn't bring it back.

I'm thinking a shared file might have gotten deleted, but being I'm not right
there to see, I'm at a loss.

He's got Win98, 800x600x24-bit, using Compaq's CDVDPLAY.exe to run the dvds, but
the interactual player from one of the DVDs had the same problem. Apparently
the data portion of the DVD ran, but the menus and movie won't come up.

Thanks for any help,
TC
7 answers Last reply
More about presario 5352 freezes inserted

    Might try a Selective Restore on the Compaq DVD Navigator/Player.
    HH

    "Tyler" <noone@no.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, a friend of mine installed/uninstalled a Dazzle flash card reader in
    his
    > Presario a while back, and ever since, the DVD drive won't play DVDs. No
    clue
    > if the two things have anything to do with each other.
    >
    > Audio CDs play fine in the drive, data cds work, but the DVDs go to a
    black
    > screen and even ctrl+alt+del doesn't bring it back.
    >
    > I'm thinking a shared file might have gotten deleted, but being I'm not
    right
    > there to see, I'm at a loss.
    >
    > He's got Win98, 800x600x24-bit, using Compaq's CDVDPLAY.exe to run the
    dvds, but
    > the interactual player from one of the DVDs had the same problem.
    Apparently
    > the data portion of the DVD ran, but the menus and movie won't come up.
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    > TC

    On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 06:24:25 -0400, HH transmitted this:

    >Might try a Selective Restore on the Compaq DVD Navigator/Player.

    Okay, how would I tell him how to do that over the phone? I don't want to be
    the one that talks him into accidentally wiping his drive.

    TC

    >HH
    >
    >"Tyler" <noone@no.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi, a friend of mine installed/uninstalled a Dazzle flash card reader in
    >his
    >> Presario a while back, and ever since, the DVD drive won't play DVDs. No
    >clue
    >> if the two things have anything to do with each other.
    >>
    >> Audio CDs play fine in the drive, data cds work, but the DVDs go to a
    >black
    >> screen and even ctrl+alt+del doesn't bring it back.
    >>
    >> I'm thinking a shared file might have gotten deleted, but being I'm not
    >right
    >> there to see, I'm at a loss.
    >>
    >> He's got Win98, 800x600x24-bit, using Compaq's CDVDPLAY.exe to run the
    >dvds, but
    >> the interactual player from one of the DVDs had the same problem.
    >Apparently
    >> the data portion of the DVD ran, but the menus and movie won't come up.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help,
    >> TC

    Unless it has been deleted, there should be a Compaq Support desktop icon or
    Start Menu item. Select that, then Restore, you should then be able to
    select the restore for the DVD player software. Selective QuickRestore is a
    feature of the 5352, as long as the original operating system (98 or 98SE)
    is still installed.

    > On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 06:24:25 -0400, HH transmitted this:
    >
    > >Might try a Selective Restore on the Compaq DVD Navigator/Player.
    >
    > Okay, how would I tell him how to do that over the phone? I don't want to
    be
    > the one that talks him into accidentally wiping his drive.
    >
    > TC
    >
    > >HH
    > >
    > >"Tyler" <noone@no.com> wrote in message
    > >> Hi, a friend of mine installed/uninstalled a Dazzle flash card reader
    in
    > >his
    > >> Presario a while back, and ever since, the DVD drive won't play DVDs.
    No
    > >clue
    > >> if the two things have anything to do with each other.
    > >>
    > >> Audio CDs play fine in the drive, data cds work, but the DVDs go to a
    > >black
    > >> screen and even ctrl+alt+del doesn't bring it back.
    > >>
    > >> I'm thinking a shared file might have gotten deleted, but being I'm not
    > >right
    > >> there to see, I'm at a loss.
    > >>
    > >> He's got Win98, 800x600x24-bit, using Compaq's CDVDPLAY.exe to run the
    > >dvds, but
    > >> the interactual player from one of the DVDs had the same problem.
    > >Apparently
    > >> the data portion of the DVD ran, but the menus and movie won't come up.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for any help,
    > >> TC

    Also, from the Compaq FAQ, you might check:
    Q) How do I prevent getting Blue Screens or freezeups while using the Compaq
    DVD player?
    A) Look for a file named SCSI1HLP.VXD(or SCSIHLP.VXD) in the
    Windows\system\iosubsys directory. If there, rename it toSCSI1HLP.OLD, then
    reboot.
    HH

    "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Unless it has been deleted, there should be a Compaq Support desktop icon
    or
    > Start Menu item. Select that, then Restore, you should then be able to
    > select the restore for the DVD player software. Selective QuickRestore is
    > feature of the 5352, as long as the original operating system (98 or
    98SE)
    > is still installed.
    > HH
    >
    > "Tyler" <noone@no.com> wrote in message
    > > On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 06:24:25 -0400, HH transmitted this:
    > >
    > > >Might try a Selective Restore on the Compaq DVD Navigator/Player.
    > >
    > > Okay, how would I tell him how to do that over the phone? I don't want
    > be
    > > the one that talks him into accidentally wiping his drive.
    > >
    > > TC
    > >
    > > >HH
    > > >
    > > >"Tyler" <noone@no.com> wrote in message
    > in
    > > >his
    > No
    > > >clue

    > > >black

    > > >right

    > > >dvds, but
    > > >Apparently

    On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 10:27:53 -0400, HH transmitted this:

    >Also, from the Compaq FAQ, you might check:
    >Q) How do I prevent getting Blue Screens or freezeups while using the Compaq
    >DVD player?
    >A) Look for a file named SCSI1HLP.VXD(or SCSIHLP.VXD) in the
    >Windows\system\iosubsys directory. If there, rename it toSCSI1HLP.OLD, then
    >reboot.

    That was one of the first things I had him do when the DVDs starting locking the
    computer up.

    I'll tell him about Selective QuickRestore, I hope it works. Thanks!

    TC

    >HH
    >

    >"HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Unless it has been deleted, there should be a Compaq Support desktop icon
    >or
    >> Start Menu item. Select that, then Restore, you should then be able to
    >> select the restore for the DVD player software. Selective QuickRestore is
    >> feature of the 5352, as long as the original operating system (98 or
    >98SE)
    >> is still installed.
    >> HH
    >>
    >> "Tyler" <noone@no.com> wrote in message
    >> > On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 06:24:25 -0400, HH transmitted this:

    >> > Okay, how would I tell him how to do that over the phone? I don't want
    >> be
    >> > the one that talks him into accidentally wiping his drive.
    >> >
    >> > TC

    >> in
    >> No

    >not

    >the
    >up.

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 08:23:35 GMT, Tyler transmitted this:

    >On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 10:27:53 -0400, HH transmitted this:
    >
    >>Also, from the Compaq FAQ, you might check:
    >>Q) How do I prevent getting Blue Screens or freezeups while using the Compaq
    >>DVD player?
    >>A) Look for a file named SCSI1HLP.VXD(or SCSIHLP.VXD) in the
    >>Windows\system\iosubsys directory. If there, rename it toSCSI1HLP.OLD, then
    >>reboot.
    >
    >That was one of the first things I had him do when the DVDs starting locking the
    >computer up.
    >
    >I'll tell him about Selective QuickRestore, I hope it works. Thanks!

    Okay, the icons are both deleted, anyone know where the program the icons point
    to is located? He found C:\Compaq\Support and said there wasn't anything there.

    TC

    >TC
    >
    >>HH
    >>

    >>"HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Unless it has been deleted, there should be a Compaq Support desktop icon
    >>or
    >>> Start Menu item. Select that, then Restore, you should then be able to
    >>> select the restore for the DVD player software. Selective QuickRestore is
    >>> feature of the 5352, as long as the original operating system (98 or
    >>98SE)
    >>> is still installed.
    >>> HH
    >>>
    >>> "Tyler" <noone@no.com> wrote in message

    >>> be

    >>> in
    >>> No

    >>not

    >>the
    >>up.

  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Sounds like either a full restore will be needed or just go here and
    download the DVD software and patch:

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product=93241&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&os=20

    HH

    a out to CyberLink and download thPower DVD
    > On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 08:23:35 GMT, Tyler transmitted this:
    >
    > >On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 10:27:53 -0400, HH transmitted this:
    > >
    > >>Also, from the Compaq FAQ, you might check:
    > >>Q) How do I prevent getting Blue Screens or freezeups while using the
    Compaq
    > >>DVD player?
    > >>A) Look for a file named SCSI1HLP.VXD(or SCSIHLP.VXD) in the
    > >>Windows\system\iosubsys directory. If there, rename it toSCSI1HLP.OLD,
    then
    > >>reboot.
    > >
    > >That was one of the first things I had him do when the DVDs starting
    locking the
    > >computer up.
    > >
    > >I'll tell him about Selective QuickRestore, I hope it works. Thanks!
    >
    > Okay, the icons are both deleted, anyone know where the program the icons
    point
    > to is located? He found C:\Compaq\Support and said there wasn't anything
    there.

    > TC
    >
    > >TC
    > >
    > >>HH