does anyone else have the VX6100 phone?

Last response: in Network Providers
January 18, 2005 5:36:19 PM

If so, how has it been for you so far? Likes and dislikes?

Thanks...

More about : vx6100 phone

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 5:36:20 PM

I have had it less than a month. In fact my SIL got, then we did now
my Dad. I love the phone. Very easy to figure out as well. I am
pleased with it.
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 5:36:20 PM

Iv'e had one a month or so. Reception good. Got a program to DL photos and
contacts fm PC. My only gripe is it too easy to press side keys when
holding. Other than that, for $50 (w 2yrs!) pretty good. It's what I wanted.
Jerry
"Keck" <keck@verizon.net> wrote in message
> If so, how has it been for you so far? Likes and dislikes?
>
> Thanks...

January 18, 2005 11:18:24 PM

<iwantthisname@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have had it less than a month. In fact my SIL got, then we did now
> my Dad. I love the phone. Very easy to figure out as well. I am
> pleased with it.

A big high five from one mighty knowledgeable and tech-savvy user;-)
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 12:39:47 AM

"Keck"

| If so, how has it been for you so far? Likes and dislikes?

I had one. My problems:

Somehow it always managed to interconnect the web option without my wanting
to be on the web. ($$$) No way to disable.

Second if you want to use the vibrate mode you are locked into VIBRATE and
the LOUDEST ring volume.

Last it constantly switched into the SPEAKER PHONE mode again without my
intercession.
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 4:38:17 AM

thanks for your reply, i noticed too, those side buttons make it hard to hold
the phone without pressing, the phone feels very cheap too, feels like it might
wear out fast or break very easily, but i guess that's how all the new phones
are...??

Gerald Riggs wrote:

> Iv'e had one a month or so. Reception good. Got a program to DL photos and
> contacts fm PC. My only gripe is it too easy to press side keys when
> holding. Other than that, for $50 (w 2yrs!) pretty good. It's what I wanted.
> Jerry
> "Keck" <keck@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > If so, how has it been for you so far? Likes and dislikes?
> >
> > Thanks...

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 4:54:08 AM

it's very easy to figure out, that's one plus i guess, it might just take
awhile to get used to those side buttons

I don't suppose you figureed out how to remove the 'verizon wireless'
displayed across the lcd? Maybe it doesn't bother you like it does me.

Thanks...

Ira Hayes wrote:

> <iwantthisname@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have had it less than a month. In fact my SIL got, then we did now
> > my Dad. I love the phone. Very easy to figure out as well. I am
> > pleased with it.
> >

> A big high five from one mighty knowledgeable and tech-savvy user;-)
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 7:32:59 AM

Okay, I'll tell you where to go to figure it out. Go to
www.HowardForums.com ; do a search for removing banner and your phone.
You'll find that you need a data cable and you'll need to download a free
software called "Bitpim". It's pretty easy to remove the banner. You will
do it with the data cable hooked up to your computer. It takes about 5
minutes or less once you figure out what you need to do.

However, that being said, I believe your warranty is nullified if you've
taken the banner off. So, just save the file that they (on
HowardForums.com) tell you to remove. You can always add it back later,
and hence the banner, should you need to send the phone in for warranty
work. Good luck.

> it's very easy to figure out, that's one plus i guess, it might just take
> awhile to get used to those side buttons
>
> I don't suppose you figureed out how to remove the 'verizon wireless'
> displayed across the lcd? Maybe it doesn't bother you like it does me.
>
> Thanks...
>
> Ira Hayes wrote:
>
>> <iwantthisname@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> >I have had it less than a month. In fact my SIL got, then we did now
>> > my Dad. I love the phone. Very easy to figure out as well. I am
>> > pleased with it.
>> >

>> A big high five from one mighty knowledgeable and tech-savvy user;-)

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 8:16:25 AM

thanks for the reply...
I've noticed all of these problems right off the bat too! That button to
connect to the net is way too easy to hit!! That vibrate/high ring tone, but
not vibrate without ring, seems completely backwards to me, and i'm constantly
switching over to speaker phone accidentally in the middle of talking... i was
hoping maybe it'd just take some time to get used to, but it seems like all the
buttons are in the wrong place, why make it harder than it has to be, i may be
taking this one back

Not Me wrote:

> "Keck"
>
> | If so, how has it been for you so far? Likes and dislikes?
> |

> I had one. My problems:
>
> Somehow it always managed to interconnect the web option without my wanting
> to be on the web. ($$$) No way to disable.
>
> Second if you want to use the vibrate mode you are locked into VIBRATE and
> the LOUDEST ring volume.
>
> Last it constantly switched into the SPEAKER PHONE mode again without my
> intercession.
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 8:19:02 AM

very cool.... thanks, i'll give it a try!

"Dave M." wrote:

> Okay, I'll tell you where to go to figure it out. Go to
> www.HowardForums.com ; do a search for removing banner and your phone.
> You'll find that you need a data cable and you'll need to download a free
> software called "Bitpim". It's pretty easy to remove the banner. You will
> do it with the data cable hooked up to your computer. It takes about 5
> minutes or less once you figure out what you need to do.
>
> However, that being said, I believe your warranty is nullified if you've
> taken the banner off. So, just save the file that they (on
> HowardForums.com) tell you to remove. You can always add it back later,
> and hence the banner, should you need to send the phone in for warranty
> work. Good luck.
>
> "Keck" <keck@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > it's very easy to figure out, that's one plus i guess, it might just take
> > awhile to get used to those side buttons
> >
> > I don't suppose you figureed out how to remove the 'verizon wireless'
> > displayed across the lcd? Maybe it doesn't bother you like it does me.
> >
> > Thanks...
> >
> > Ira Hayes wrote:
> >
> >> <iwantthisname@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> >

> >> A big high five from one mighty knowledgeable and tech-savvy user;-)

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 8:34:40 AM

"Not Me" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> "Keck"
>
> | If so, how has it been for you so far? Likes and dislikes?
> |

> I had one. My problems:
>
> Somehow it always managed to interconnect the web option without my
> wanting
> to be on the web. ($$$) No way to disable.
>
> Second if you want to use the vibrate mode you are locked into VIBRATE and
> the LOUDEST ring volume.
>
> Last it constantly switched into the SPEAKER PHONE mode again without my
> intercession.

Being new to the phone, you guys are a little confused. It'll take a
little while getting used to, don't worry. All in all, the button layout
is not bad. On the ring in the center of the phone, I never hit the left or
right side of the rings which will take you to get-it-now or to the web. So
you only need to hit the top or bottom of it. The top, I believe, is to
turn speaker phone on & off.

To just have the phone vibrate, merely put it in the "manner mode". You do
this by either pushing the asterisk key for a couple seconds while the phone
is open, or by pushing in for a couple seconds the upper button on the left
side. In the manner mode, it will only vibrate. You won't hear anything.
It's pretty easy once you get used to it. Don't give up; Good luck.
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 8:48:39 AM

Hey Dave!

I went back today and got the 6100. Yep, you can indeed turn the phone to
completely silent mode (without vibration) as you suggested. YIPPEE!

I, too, am running into Keck's problem of hitting the web (where my shortcut
for tip calculator was on my 4400). My question is, when I inadvertantly
hit it and immediately know it was an error and hit end, am I charged for
that?

Thanks for your help.

Janie
"Dave M." <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "Not Me" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> "Keck"
>>
>> | If so, how has it been for you so far? Likes and dislikes?
>> |

>> I had one. My problems:
>>
>> Somehow it always managed to interconnect the web option without my
>> wanting
>> to be on the web. ($$$) No way to disable.
>>
>> Second if you want to use the vibrate mode you are locked into VIBRATE
>> and
>> the LOUDEST ring volume.
>>
>> Last it constantly switched into the SPEAKER PHONE mode again without my
>> intercession.
>>

> Being new to the phone, you guys are a little confused. It'll take a
> little while getting used to, don't worry. All in all, the button layout
> is not bad. On the ring in the center of the phone, I never hit the left
> or right side of the rings which will take you to get-it-now or to the
> web. So you only need to hit the top or bottom of it. The top, I
> believe, is to turn speaker phone on & off.
>
> To just have the phone vibrate, merely put it in the "manner mode". You
> do this by either pushing the asterisk key for a couple seconds while the
> phone is open, or by pushing in for a couple seconds the upper button on
> the left side. In the manner mode, it will only vibrate. You won't hear
> anything. It's pretty easy once you get used to it. Don't give up; Good
> luck.

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 9:25:15 AM

I'll give it about a week, I just got the phone monday night so I've got a
little time before it's all mine. I figured the manner mode thing out right
away, i was hoping i could put just the ringer on vibrate, plus it displays
'manner mode' on the screen, and that along with 'verizon wireless' across the
screen makes it hard to see my background picture, why even bother having a
picture phone with all that clutter that's pretty much always present.

Anyone know where one might get access to a data cable for about an hour?

"Dave M." wrote:

> "Not Me" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > "Keck"
> >
> > | If so, how has it been for you so far? Likes and dislikes?
> > |

> > I had one. My problems:
> >
> > Somehow it always managed to interconnect the web option without my
> > wanting
> > to be on the web. ($$$) No way to disable.
> >
> > Second if you want to use the vibrate mode you are locked into VIBRATE and
> > the LOUDEST ring volume.
> >
> > Last it constantly switched into the SPEAKER PHONE mode again without my
> > intercession.
> >

> Being new to the phone, you guys are a little confused. It'll take a
> little while getting used to, don't worry. All in all, the button layout
> is not bad. On the ring in the center of the phone, I never hit the left or
> right side of the rings which will take you to get-it-now or to the web. So
> you only need to hit the top or bottom of it. The top, I believe, is to
> turn speaker phone on & off.
>
> To just have the phone vibrate, merely put it in the "manner mode". You do
> this by either pushing the asterisk key for a couple seconds while the phone
> is open, or by pushing in for a couple seconds the upper button on the left
> side. In the manner mode, it will only vibrate. You won't hear anything.
> It's pretty easy once you get used to it. Don't give up; Good luck.
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 10:22:13 AM

Hey Janie - That's great! I figured that would be the case. The LG
phones are really thought out pretty well, it seems. One huge downfall,
which most anyone can get over, is their woefully inadequate user manuals.
I remember, w/ my VX 4500, there was not even any mention at all in the
manual about the speaker phone; by reading the manual, you wouldn't have
even known it existed. Although, as someone recently posted, LG's customer
service is excellent. If you're not sure of something you can always call
their toll free number. They're pretty helpful.

When I was considering another phone recently (I believe the Audiovox) my
sales rep. said was I crazy. She said the LG's, and I believe she said the
Motorola's ??, are better suited/laid out for business use. She said many
of the others were just not up to par.

Like you, I on occasion have hit the web side of the navigation ring and saw
it start to go on. I just hit the "end key" to get out of it, and I've
never been charged for going on the web. Btw, one inexpensive way of
accessing the web, if you have a laptop or internet type device (palm, Ipaq,
etc...) is you can connect your data cable (part of the Mobile Office Kit
which retails for around $30 or so) to your laptop or other device. It will
take away from your "usage minutes", so I try to take advantage of it if I'm
on the road on the weekends. That proves to be handy every now and then.

Good luck w/ your new LG phone. I'm sure you're going to love it.

"Janie Collins" <jjcollins@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hey Dave!
>
> I went back today and got the 6100. Yep, you can indeed turn the phone to
> completely silent mode (without vibration) as you suggested. YIPPEE!
>
> I, too, am running into Keck's problem of hitting the web (where my
> shortcut for tip calculator was on my 4400). My question is, when I
> inadvertantly hit it and immediately know it was an error and hit end, am
> I charged for that?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Janie
> "Dave M." <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Not Me" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>> "Keck"

>>> I had one. My problems:
>>>
>>> Somehow it always managed to interconnect the web option without my
>>> wanting
>>> to be on the web. ($$$) No way to disable.
>>>
>>> Second if you want to use the vibrate mode you are locked into VIBRATE
>>> and
>>> the LOUDEST ring volume.
>>>
>>> Last it constantly switched into the SPEAKER PHONE mode again without my
>>> intercession.
>>>

>> Being new to the phone, you guys are a little confused. It'll take a
>> little while getting used to, don't worry. All in all, the button
>> layout is not bad. On the ring in the center of the phone, I never hit
>> the left or right side of the rings which will take you to get-it-now or
>> to the web. So you only need to hit the top or bottom of it. The top, I
>> believe, is to turn speaker phone on & off.
>>
>> To just have the phone vibrate, merely put it in the "manner mode". You
>> do this by either pushing the asterisk key for a couple seconds while the
>> phone is open, or by pushing in for a couple seconds the upper button on
>> the left side. In the manner mode, it will only vibrate. You won't hear
>> anything. It's pretty easy once you get used to it. Don't give up;
>> Good luck.

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 10:38:36 AM

So you mean to tell me that if i buy a data cable, i can connect to the net on
my laptop through my cell phone?

If so, do the evenings and weekends free play apply to web connection too?

"Dave M." wrote:

> Hey Janie - That's great! I figured that would be the case. The LG
> phones are really thought out pretty well, it seems. One huge downfall,
> which most anyone can get over, is their woefully inadequate user manuals.
> I remember, w/ my VX 4500, there was not even any mention at all in the
> manual about the speaker phone; by reading the manual, you wouldn't have
> even known it existed. Although, as someone recently posted, LG's customer
> service is excellent. If you're not sure of something you can always call
> their toll free number. They're pretty helpful.
>
> When I was considering another phone recently (I believe the Audiovox) my
> sales rep. said was I crazy. She said the LG's, and I believe she said the
> Motorola's ??, are better suited/laid out for business use. She said many
> of the others were just not up to par.
>
> Like you, I on occasion have hit the web side of the navigation ring and saw
> it start to go on. I just hit the "end key" to get out of it, and I've
> never been charged for going on the web. Btw, one inexpensive way of
> accessing the web, if you have a laptop or internet type device (palm, Ipaq,
> etc...) is you can connect your data cable (part of the Mobile Office Kit
> which retails for around $30 or so) to your laptop or other device. It will
> take away from your "usage minutes", so I try to take advantage of it if I'm
> on the road on the weekends. That proves to be handy every now and then.
>
> Good luck w/ your new LG phone. I'm sure you're going to love it.
>
> "Janie Collins" <jjcollins@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Hey Dave!
> >
> > I went back today and got the 6100. Yep, you can indeed turn the phone to
> > completely silent mode (without vibration) as you suggested. YIPPEE!
> >
> > I, too, am running into Keck's problem of hitting the web (where my
> > shortcut for tip calculator was on my 4400). My question is, when I
> > inadvertantly hit it and immediately know it was an error and hit end, am
> > I charged for that?
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > Janie
> > "Dave M." <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Not Me" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

> >> Being new to the phone, you guys are a little confused. It'll take a
> >> little while getting used to, don't worry. All in all, the button
> >> layout is not bad. On the ring in the center of the phone, I never hit
> >> the left or right side of the rings which will take you to get-it-now or
> >> to the web. So you only need to hit the top or bottom of it. The top, I
> >> believe, is to turn speaker phone on & off.
> >>
> >> To just have the phone vibrate, merely put it in the "manner mode". You
> >> do this by either pushing the asterisk key for a couple seconds while the
> >> phone is open, or by pushing in for a couple seconds the upper button on
> >> the left side. In the manner mode, it will only vibrate. You won't hear
> >> anything. It's pretty easy once you get used to it. Don't give up;
> >> Good luck.

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 11:01:08 AM

Yep, you bet! Pretty cool, huh? So break down and "buy" a cable keck.
You'll get some great use out of it. I think you'll want it for more than
an hour. What do you think? :-)

> So you mean to tell me that if i buy a data cable, i can connect to the
> net on
> my laptop through my cell phone?
>
> If so, do the evenings and weekends free play apply to web connection too?
>

> "Dave M." wrote:
>
>> Hey Janie - That's great! I figured that would be the case. The LG
>> phones are really thought out pretty well, it seems. One huge downfall,
>> which most anyone can get over, is their woefully inadequate user
>> manuals.
>> I remember, w/ my VX 4500, there was not even any mention at all in the
>> manual about the speaker phone; by reading the manual, you wouldn't have
>> even known it existed. Although, as someone recently posted, LG's
>> customer
>> service is excellent. If you're not sure of something you can always
>> call
>> their toll free number. They're pretty helpful.
>>
>> When I was considering another phone recently (I believe the Audiovox) my
>> sales rep. said was I crazy. She said the LG's, and I believe she said
>> the
>> Motorola's ??, are better suited/laid out for business use. She said
>> many
>> of the others were just not up to par.
>>
>> Like you, I on occasion have hit the web side of the navigation ring and
>> saw
>> it start to go on. I just hit the "end key" to get out of it, and I've
>> never been charged for going on the web. Btw, one inexpensive way of
>> accessing the web, if you have a laptop or internet type device (palm,
>> Ipaq,
>> etc...) is you can connect your data cable (part of the Mobile Office Kit
>> which retails for around $30 or so) to your laptop or other device. It
>> will
>> take away from your "usage minutes", so I try to take advantage of it if
>> I'm
>> on the road on the weekends. That proves to be handy every now and then.
>>
>> Good luck w/ your new LG phone. I'm sure you're going to love it.
>>
>> "Janie Collins" <jjcollins@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
>> > Hey Dave!
>> >
>> > I went back today and got the 6100. Yep, you can indeed turn the phone
>> > completely silent mode (without vibration) as you suggested. YIPPEE!
>> >
>> > I, too, am running into Keck's problem of hitting the web (where my
>> > shortcut for tip calculator was on my 4400). My question is, when I
>> > inadvertantly hit it and immediately know it was an error and hit end,
>> > am
>> > I charged for that?
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help.
>> >
>> > Janie
>> > "Dave M." <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 11:13:51 AM

for sure! this changes everything! i'm getting one tomorrow... thanks dave

"Dave M." wrote:

> Yep, you bet! Pretty cool, huh? So break down and "buy" a cable keck.
> You'll get some great use out of it. I think you'll want it for more than
> an hour. What do you think? :-)
>
> "Keck" <keck@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > So you mean to tell me that if i buy a data cable, i can connect to the
> > net on
> > my laptop through my cell phone?
> >
> > If so, do the evenings and weekends free play apply to web connection too?
> >

> > "Dave M." wrote:
> >
> >> Hey Janie - That's great! I figured that would be the case. The LG
> >> phones are really thought out pretty well, it seems. One huge downfall,
> >> which most anyone can get over, is their woefully inadequate user
> >> manuals.
> >> I remember, w/ my VX 4500, there was not even any mention at all in the
> >> manual about the speaker phone; by reading the manual, you wouldn't have
> >> even known it existed. Although, as someone recently posted, LG's
> >> customer
> >> service is excellent. If you're not sure of something you can always
> >> call
> >> their toll free number. They're pretty helpful.
> >>
> >> When I was considering another phone recently (I believe the Audiovox) my
> >> sales rep. said was I crazy. She said the LG's, and I believe she said
> >> the
> >> Motorola's ??, are better suited/laid out for business use. She said
> >> many
> >> of the others were just not up to par.
> >>
> >> Like you, I on occasion have hit the web side of the navigation ring and
> >> saw
> >> it start to go on. I just hit the "end key" to get out of it, and I've
> >> never been charged for going on the web. Btw, one inexpensive way of
> >> accessing the web, if you have a laptop or internet type device (palm,
> >> Ipaq,
> >> etc...) is you can connect your data cable (part of the Mobile Office Kit
> >> which retails for around $30 or so) to your laptop or other device. It
> >> will
> >> take away from your "usage minutes", so I try to take advantage of it if
> >> I'm
> >> on the road on the weekends. That proves to be handy every now and then.
> >>
> >> Good luck w/ your new LG phone. I'm sure you're going to love it.
> >>
> >> "Janie Collins" <jjcollins@triad.rr.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 11:47:21 AM

What's your opinion on the speaker phone and reception quality of the 6100
compared to other phones you've used?

Thanks

"Dave M." wrote:

> Yep, you bet! Pretty cool, huh? So break down and "buy" a cable keck.
> You'll get some great use out of it. I think you'll want it for more than
> an hour. What do you think? :-)
>
> "Keck" <keck@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > So you mean to tell me that if i buy a data cable, i can connect to the
> > net on
> > my laptop through my cell phone?
> >
> > If so, do the evenings and weekends free play apply to web connection too?
> >

> > "Dave M." wrote:
> >
> >> Hey Janie - That's great! I figured that would be the case. The LG
> >> phones are really thought out pretty well, it seems. One huge downfall,
> >> which most anyone can get over, is their woefully inadequate user
> >> manuals.
> >> I remember, w/ my VX 4500, there was not even any mention at all in the
> >> manual about the speaker phone; by reading the manual, you wouldn't have
> >> even known it existed. Although, as someone recently posted, LG's
> >> customer
> >> service is excellent. If you're not sure of something you can always
> >> call
> >> their toll free number. They're pretty helpful.
> >>
> >> When I was considering another phone recently (I believe the Audiovox) my
> >> sales rep. said was I crazy. She said the LG's, and I believe she said
> >> the
> >> Motorola's ??, are better suited/laid out for business use. She said
> >> many
> >> of the others were just not up to par.
> >>
> >> Like you, I on occasion have hit the web side of the navigation ring and
> >> saw
> >> it start to go on. I just hit the "end key" to get out of it, and I've
> >> never been charged for going on the web. Btw, one inexpensive way of
> >> accessing the web, if you have a laptop or internet type device (palm,
> >> Ipaq,
> >> etc...) is you can connect your data cable (part of the Mobile Office Kit
> >> which retails for around $30 or so) to your laptop or other device. It
> >> will
> >> take away from your "usage minutes", so I try to take advantage of it if
> >> I'm
> >> on the road on the weekends. That proves to be handy every now and then.
> >>
> >> Good luck w/ your new LG phone. I'm sure you're going to love it.
> >>
> >> "Janie Collins" <jjcollins@triad.rr.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 1:05:09 PM

I bought mine in November when it was first released. It worked fine for
about two weeks. Then the analog mode stopped working, rendering the
phone 100% useless to me because I work in my basement where there is
virtually no digital signal. FWIW, my old StarTac worked flawlessly in
that environment.

Barry

In article <41ED1EE3.1C6999D2@verizon.net>, keck@verizon.net says...
> If so, how has it been for you so far? Likes and dislikes?
>
> Thanks...

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 6:08:48 PM

Thanks for all the info! I may get that Mobile Office Kit as we have a few
laptops around here (my house). Heck, when I'm in Vegas I can play with it
on my unlimited times and feel like I haven't left home :) .

> Hey Janie - That's great! I figured that would be the case. The LG
> phones are really thought out pretty well, it seems. One huge downfall,
> which most anyone can get over, is their woefully inadequate user manuals.
> I remember, w/ my VX 4500, there was not even any mention at all in the
> manual about the speaker phone; by reading the manual, you wouldn't have
> even known it existed. Although, as someone recently posted, LG's
> customer service is excellent. If you're not sure of something you can
> always call their toll free number. They're pretty helpful.
>
> When I was considering another phone recently (I believe the Audiovox) my
> sales rep. said was I crazy. She said the LG's, and I believe she said
> the Motorola's ??, are better suited/laid out for business use. She said
> many of the others were just not up to par.
>
> Like you, I on occasion have hit the web side of the navigation ring and
> saw it start to go on. I just hit the "end key" to get out of it, and
> I've never been charged for going on the web. Btw, one inexpensive way
> of accessing the web, if you have a laptop or internet type device (palm,
> Ipaq, etc...) is you can connect your data cable (part of the Mobile
> Office Kit which retails for around $30 or so) to your laptop or other
> device. It will take away from your "usage minutes", so I try to take
> advantage of it if I'm on the road on the weekends. That proves to be
> handy every now and then.
>
> Good luck w/ your new LG phone. I'm sure you're going to love it.
>
> "Janie Collins" <jjcollins@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Hey Dave!
>>
>> I went back today and got the 6100. Yep, you can indeed turn the phone
>> to completely silent mode (without vibration) as you suggested. YIPPEE!
>>
>> I, too, am running into Keck's problem of hitting the web (where my
>> shortcut for tip calculator was on my 4400). My question is, when I
>> inadvertantly hit it and immediately know it was an error and hit end, am
>> I charged for that?
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> Janie
>> "Dave M." <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Not Me" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

>>> Being new to the phone, you guys are a little confused. It'll take a
>>> little while getting used to, don't worry. All in all, the button
>>> layout is not bad. On the ring in the center of the phone, I never hit
>>> the left or right side of the rings which will take you to get-it-now or
>>> to the web. So you only need to hit the top or bottom of it. The top,
>>> I believe, is to turn speaker phone on & off.
>>>
>>> To just have the phone vibrate, merely put it in the "manner mode".
>>> You do this by either pushing the asterisk key for a couple seconds
>>> while the phone is open, or by pushing in for a couple seconds the upper
>>> button on the left side. In the manner mode, it will only vibrate. You
>>> won't hear anything. It's pretty easy once you get used to it. Don't
>>> give up; Good luck.

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 1:13:34 AM

My wife replaced her VX4400 with the VX6100. The 6100 has performed much
better in areas where the 4400 would drop calls. I'm surprised because the
6100 does not have a pull-out antenna. Also, the outgoing audio quality is
much better on the 6100. The speaker phone works as good as can be
expected for a small speaker.

Bill Radio
http://www.mountainwireless.com

> What's your opinion on the speaker phone and reception quality of the 6100
> compared to other phones you've used?

Anonymous
January 21, 2005 1:57:24 AM

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 21:39:47 -0500, Not Me wrote:

>Somehow it always managed to interconnect the web option without my wanting
>to be on the web. ($$$) No way to disable.

Sounds as if you're hitting by mistake the left side of the ring around the OK button.

>Second if you want to use the vibrate mode you are locked into VIBRATE and
>the LOUDEST ring volume.

When offline, use the left side down button or the Settings menu to set ringer volume as you desire. Whenever you want vibrate only, press and hold the shift (*) key until the phone indicates that "manner mode" was initiated (note: you have to press and hold the shift key again to restore to normal mode).

>Last it constantly switched into the SPEAKER PHONE mode again without my intercession.

Sounds as if you're hitting by mistake the top side of the ring around the OK button (or never hit it all --- I seem to recall my phone came with the speaker originally set to "on)..
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 9:34:00 PM

"Dave M."

| Being new to the phone, you guys are a little confused. It'll take a
| little while getting used to, don't worry. All in all, the button layout
| is not bad. On the ring in the center of the phone, I never hit the left
or
| right side of the rings which will take you to get-it-now or to the web.
So
| you only need to hit the top or bottom of it. The top, I believe, is to
| turn speaker phone on & off.
|
| To just have the phone vibrate, merely put it in the "manner mode". You
do
| this by either pushing the asterisk key for a couple seconds while the
phone
| is open, or by pushing in for a couple seconds the upper button on the
left
| side. In the manner mode, it will only vibrate. You won't hear anything.
| It's pretty easy once you get used to it. Don't give up; Good luck.

The user interface on this phone seems more designed by marketing and bean
counters than by any user input. Work arounds to designed in problem are
not the way to go.

I do not need a phone that goes to speaker mode as a function of poor design
of the user interface.

I do not need a phone that has a propensity to switch into an expensive
option that I don't want and can't turn off. Just as I did not need VZN
constantly resetting my user options for TXT messages, three way calling, VM
etc. as a 'convenience' to me.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 9:47:19 PM

"Philip R. Mann"

| >Somehow it always managed to interconnect the web option without my
wanting
| >to be on the web. ($$$) No way to disable.
|
| Sounds as if you're hitting by mistake the left side of the ring around
the OK button.

If so it's still a poor design. Likewise being unable to unselect the
option from the MTSO side (as in please disable the option) is poor planning
on VZN's end, (except as a way to nickel and dime the end user).

| >Second if you want to use the vibrate mode you are locked into VIBRATE
and
| >the LOUDEST ring volume.
|
| When offline, use the left side down button or the Settings menu to set
ringer volume as you desire. Whenever you want vibrate only, press and hold
the shift (*) key until the phone indicates that "manner mode" was initiated
(note: you have to press and hold the shift key again to restore to normal
mode).

Not or poorly documented and NO ONE at VZN seemed to know about that
process. Still a bit complicated for a user interface that I need to use
often.

| >Last it constantly switched into the SPEAKER PHONE mode again without my
intercession.

| Sounds as if you're hitting by mistake the top side of the ring around the
OK button (or never hit it all --- I seem to recall my phone came with the
speaker originally set to "on)..

Doubt it as we've had the phones (note the plural) go to speaker mode when
in the process of being handed to another person. (no physical contact with
any of the buttons. VZN techs have commented that they have noticed the
same thing but have no idea why it does that or how to fix the problem.

Don't get me wrong I like VZN net work (I've had cell phone with VZN and
their predecessors since at least '89 perhaps before) I just don't care for
the shoddy way the user interfaces are set up or the constant miss
information and run around I get from CS.
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 6:02:35 AM

Since 89? did they have cell phones that far back?

WhyMe wrote:

> "Philip R. Mann"
> |
> | >Somehow it always managed to interconnect the web option without my
> wanting
> | >to be on the web. ($$$) No way to disable.
> |
> | Sounds as if you're hitting by mistake the left side of the ring around
> the OK button.
>
> If so it's still a poor design. Likewise being unable to unselect the
> option from the MTSO side (as in please disable the option) is poor planning
> on VZN's end, (except as a way to nickel and dime the end user).
>
> | >Second if you want to use the vibrate mode you are locked into VIBRATE
> and
> | >the LOUDEST ring volume.
> |
> | When offline, use the left side down button or the Settings menu to set
> ringer volume as you desire. Whenever you want vibrate only, press and hold
> the shift (*) key until the phone indicates that "manner mode" was initiated
> (note: you have to press and hold the shift key again to restore to normal
> mode).
>
> Not or poorly documented and NO ONE at VZN seemed to know about that
> process. Still a bit complicated for a user interface that I need to use
> often.
> |
> | >Last it constantly switched into the SPEAKER PHONE mode again without my
> intercession.
> |
> | Sounds as if you're hitting by mistake the top side of the ring around the
> OK button (or never hit it all --- I seem to recall my phone came with the
> speaker originally set to "on)..
>
> Doubt it as we've had the phones (note the plural) go to speaker mode when
> in the process of being handed to another person. (no physical contact with
> any of the buttons. VZN techs have commented that they have noticed the
> same thing but have no idea why it does that or how to fix the problem.
>
> Don't get me wrong I like VZN net work (I've had cell phone with VZN and
> their predecessors since at least '89 perhaps before) I just don't care for
> the shoddy way the user interfaces are set up or the constant miss
> information and run around I get from CS.
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 7:15:32 PM

| Since 89? did they have cell phones that far back?

Yes and in a few places longer.
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 3:15:14 AM

yep... big goobers and big bills to match.

We still own an old van with an installed phone - we got the phone in 1991
when prices became more affordable in Maine. I think we paid $250 for it
(free installation <g>), and probably $50 a month for 30 min, no free
weekends. Sometime later that year we got a second phone for the family - a
bulky bag phone. I think that one was more reasonable - probably $50 with a
1 yr contract.

!