Sign in with
Your question

Laptop with Win '98

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
September 12, 2005 9:36:14 AM

I have a laptop with the windows '98 installed which previously was used on the network. The problem is that I do not know what the password was. Can you tell me about another method to bypass the password.Esc here did not work

More about : laptop win

September 12, 2005 9:08:39 PM

Win98 has no security locally. Pressing escape at the password prompt is how you bypass that and get to the desktop. If it is looking for a network server (the login window has a 3rd entry field for a domain or network), then you may need to press escape a few times to get past that.

What did happen when you pressed escape?

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>
September 13, 2005 6:09:32 AM

I tried many times pressing the Esc button but without success. Just it returns to the blue screen with the password prompt.
Related resources
September 13, 2005 6:25:07 PM

As long as the system isn't set up for user profiles (well, even if it is - it's just a different desktop...), you may be able to bypass it by putting in any name (George, Phred, asgdljkaw, etc.) and no password, then clicking OK.

If user profiles are set up, you'll get a different desktop, but all the data and programs are available.

Hmm, that password prompt you get on the blue screen - it is the windows logon prompt, isn't it?

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
September 14, 2005 11:01:58 AM

I just discovered that incling in the OS there is installed the policy editor program. Cuold there is a way to eliminate it inorder to use the pc
September 14, 2005 4:39:45 PM

It can be turned off either in control panel or via the registry editor (I've never used it so I'ld have to search for specifics). First thing to do is get to the windows desktop. Have you tried the suggestion above? And I need to confirm the password prompt you get is the windows one because there are 3rd party security programs that may make this a reformat/reinstall type situation.

Mike.

!