Large? Dr Watson Log File

I have had this computer 6 months with no problems, using XP Home and
am concerned at the size of DRWTSN32.LOG which is 733,866KB. Is this
OK? It seems to be rather large for a text file.
TIA
Mike.
6 answers Last reply
More about large watson file

    If you have a lot of program errors, drwtsn32.log will get huge.

    Either delete the drwtsn32.log or open it and delete the contents.

    To open Dr. Watson...
    Start | Run | Type: drwtsn32 | OK |

    drwtsn32.exe = DrWatson Postmortem Debugger

    drwtsn32.exe lives here >>>
    C:\WINDOWS\system32
    and
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

    drwtsn32.log should be here, if Dr Watson has ever run >>

    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\

    If a program error occurs, Dr. Watson will start automatically.

    Dr. Watson is a program error debugger that detects and diagnoses program
    errors and creates User.dmp and DrWtsn32.log files to contain the diagnostic
    data.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:2b2ec1972os5onnkq1os70hj0vjg95ldv5@4ax.com,
    Mike Laine <mmlxp@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:

    Mike Laine <mmlxp@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I have had this computer 6 months with no problems, using XP Home and
    >am concerned at the size of DRWTSN32.LOG which is 733,866KB. Is this
    >OK? It seems to be rather large for a text file.
    >TIA
    >Mike.

    As far as I am concerned, 1 byte is excessively large for a Dr. Watson
    log file.

    In my opinion it is the most useless component of Windows XP and one
    which I routinely dispense with whenever I find it running on a
    system.

    I have never encountered a situation where Dr. Watson was of any value
    whatever in identifying the cause or helping to fix a problem.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 16:56:48 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
    <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

    >If you have a lot of program errors, drwtsn32.log will get huge.
    >
    >Either delete the drwtsn32.log or open it and delete the contents.
    >
    >To open Dr. Watson...
    >Start | Run | Type: drwtsn32 | OK |
    >
    >drwtsn32.exe = DrWatson Postmortem Debugger
    >
    >drwtsn32.exe lives here >>>
    >C:\WINDOWS\system32
    >and
    >C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
    >
    >drwtsn32.log should be here, if Dr Watson has ever run >>
    >
    >C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\
    >
    >If a program error occurs, Dr. Watson will start automatically.
    >
    >Dr. Watson is a program error debugger that detects and diagnoses program
    >errors and creates User.dmp and DrWtsn32.log files to contain the diagnostic
    >data.

    Thanks for this, Wesley, at least I can free up some memory but I
    would rather it wasn't so big in the first place.
    Mike

    On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 20:42:26 GMT, Ron Martell <ron.martell@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Mike Laine <mmlxp@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I have had this computer 6 months with no problems, using XP Home and
    >>am concerned at the size of DRWTSN32.LOG which is 733,866KB. Is this
    >>OK? It seems to be rather large for a text file.
    >>TIA
    >>Mike.
    >

    >As far as I am concerned, 1 byte is excessively large for a Dr. Watson
    >log file.
    >
    >In my opinion it is the most useless component of Windows XP and one
    >which I routinely dispense with whenever I find it running on a
    >system.
    >
    >I have never encountered a situation where Dr. Watson was of any value
    >whatever in identifying the cause or helping to fix a problem.

    Thanks for confirming this, Ron, I feel a lot better now.
    Mike

    Mike,

    [[Dr. Watson also records an entry in the Event Viewer Application Log
    containing the program name, date, time, exception number, exception name,
    program counter, and function name at the current program counter, as well
    as the complete diagnostic information that was logged for that error.]]

    So deleting everything in drwtsn32.log doesn't matter, you can read about it
    in the Event Viewer.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:8l6jc1128plre8vpkknjlmkt00lftodqos@4ax.com,
    Mike Laine <mmlxp@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
    > On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 16:56:48 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
    > <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >> If you have a lot of program errors, drwtsn32.log will get huge.
    >>
    >> Either delete the drwtsn32.log or open it and delete the contents.
    >>
    >> To open Dr. Watson...
    >> Start | Run | Type: drwtsn32 | OK |
    >>
    >> drwtsn32.exe = DrWatson Postmortem Debugger
    >>
    >> drwtsn32.exe lives here >>>
    >> C:\WINDOWS\system32
    >> and
    >> C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
    >>
    >> drwtsn32.log should be here, if Dr Watson has ever run >>
    >>
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\
    >>
    >> If a program error occurs, Dr. Watson will start automatically.
    >>
    >> Dr. Watson is a program error debugger that detects and diagnoses program
    >> errors and creates User.dmp and DrWtsn32.log files to contain the
    >> diagnostic data.
    >
    > Thanks for this, Wesley, at least I can free up some memory but I
    > would rather it wasn't so big in the first place.
    > Mike
  6. re. dr watson large file
    After a defrag (WinXP Home) the defrag report showed dr watson\drwtsn32.log at 2.14gb. I can't seem to delete it, or open it from windows search or from the Run command.
    Yeah, guess I'll go to bed and see if the delete completes by morning
    dhall[at]gwi.net.

Watson Microsoft Windows XP