Upgrade from Me to XP

Do I purchase XP upgrade and install it? Do I have to do anything else?

How to Upgrade from Windows 95 or Windows 98
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/professional/howtobuy/upgrading/path/win9x.asp

How Do I Use Upgrade Advisor?
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/advisor.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"setthehook" wrote:

| Do I purchase XP upgrade and install it? Do I have to do anything else?

Back up any imporatant data first.
Upgrades are generally considered not the best of ideas, because if there is
any weirdnesses in the applications, then it gets migrated with the upgrade.
Depending on your hardware, you may want to download the latest XP drivers
before hand, so you can upgrade them as well. Check to make sure your
existing software will work on XP ....there may be updates involved there as
well.

"setthehook" <setthehook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Do I purchase XP upgrade and install it? Do I have to do anything else?

Do yourself a big favor and run the Micrososft Upgrade Advisor, BEFORE
installing XP. It will identify potential hardware and software problems,
and even suggest some solutions.

General things you will probably need to do include:

Remove all antivirus and low-level software (e.g., Norton Utilities), before
upgrading. Then, install XP-compatible versions of these programs. Note
that even if antivirus software is XP-compatible, it usually needs to be
uninstalled, then re-installed, since different rountines load for XP than
for ME. Of course, do not go on-line until you have antivirus osftware and
hopefully also a firewall. (XP has a default firewall, which is better than
nothing, be inferior to most other firewalls.)

Remove all CD writing software, before upgrading. Then, install
XP-compatible versions of these. In the case of Easy CD Creator, the lowest
version that works with XP is 6 plus patches. Nero 6 is XP-compaible; I do
not know about version 5.

If you currently have a software DVD player, it will probably fail to work
under XP. Plan on getting a new one.

Backup all user files (DOC, JPG, MP3, etc). While upgrades are usually
safe, sometimes they render the PC unbootable. If you are one of those
unlucky ones, be prepared to do a clean install of XP (i.e., format first;
XP will do this for you).

"setthehook" <setthehook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Do I purchase XP upgrade and install it? Do I have to do anything else?

do a clean install, it`s better than doing an upgrade. and backup your files
first.
--
carmine934