Should I return this power supply? ThrTakPurPo420w

thebladeroden

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004
So once I bought my Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT I figured I would need to replace my power supply since the one I had was only 250W. So I got a 420watter. But once I started comparing the two there doesn't seem to be an apparent difference in performance. They both got 55,000 in Aquamark and load UnrealEd in 30 seconds. So I wonder if I should just return the PSU and put $60 back in my pocket, or maybe there's another PSU out there that would make a difference.

So for reference here's my specs
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP
Processor: Athlon 64 3000
Graphics Card: eVGA NVidia 6800 GT 256MB
Sound Card: SB Live! Series (WDM)
Memory: 1GB Corsair DDR PC-3200
Motherboard: Chaintech VNF3-250
Direct X: 9.0c
Hard drive: Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 160GB + Western Digital WD800 80GB

And here are the power supplies in question
Newton Power Ltd. NPS-250CB A 250W
Thermaltake Purepower HPC-420-302 DF 420W

So what must I do?

Robc1880

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2002
Are you saying that you were able to get your system to run with the 250W? Either way, the PSU would not make a difference on your benchmark scores. I would suggest you stick with the TT 420 Purepower just for reliability and stability.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First of all, better power supplies don't give you better benchmarks, no, instead they prevent your system from crashing due to load-induced voltage dips, resetting due to power supply overload, or going "boom" with sparks and flames.

Second your Newton Power unit was probably HIGHER QUALITY than the Thermaltake. I know for certain my Newton Power 200W power supplies provided better voltage at ~160W loads than my Antec 250W units. Newton Power isn't a retail brand, but it's a darned good OEM supplier.

Third, 250W is shabby, even if the one you had was better than a lot of retail-brand 300W units, 300W would still be shabby for your system. So I'd stick with the 420W power supply, just to reduce the chance of overload.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

TRENDING THREADS