BAD_POOL_HEADER blue screen of death

July 2, 2005 9:57:01 PM

I blow up with a BAD_POOL_HEADER blue screen of death usually when linking to
some URL, but sometimes at random.
A MKB note says this is due to a change in DLC.SYS, and can be fixed by a
new NT 3.51 US Service Pack. But that site says it's only for NT Workstations
and Servers.
I'm running XP Home, SP2.
Where can I gat a fix for MY system? Or should the NT 3.51 Service pack work
on my system?

Harvey
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 2:08:07 AM

You wont be able to install an NT 3.5 hotfix on XP. Google is the best
source currently...

I have seen references to this BSOD message relate to counterfeit athlon
cpu's, certain wireless devices, or corrupt software installs......what is
your hardware platform? When did this start happening? Did you install
anything prior to that? Are you using a wireless internet card?

"Harvey" <Harvey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I blow up with a BAD_POOL_HEADER blue screen of death usually when linking
> some URL, but sometimes at random.
> A MKB note says this is due to a change in DLC.SYS, and can be fixed by a
> new NT 3.51 US Service Pack. But that site says it's only for NT
Workstations
> and Servers.
> I'm running XP Home, SP2.
> Where can I gat a fix for MY system? Or should the NT 3.51 Service pack
work
> on my system?
>
> Harvey
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 2:08:08 AM

jjjj:

Thanks for the response.

> I have seen references to this BSOD message relate to counterfeit athlon
cpu's, certain wireless devices, or corrupt software installs

None of the above.

>......what is your hardware platform?

Plain Vanilla Pentium 4

>When did this start happening?

A couple of weeks ago. It started when I'd click on a link in outlook express.
I got rid of Internet Explorer, and that helped tremendously. There's only
one site that does it to me in Firefox. But if I copy the link directly into
Firefox (instead of clicking over from OE), I'm OK.
Today it happened when I wasn't even touching the keyboard. :-(

>Did you install anything prior to that?

Probably. Who knows what automatic updates do to their computers?

> Are you using a wireless internet card?

No.

Harvey
"jjjjj" wrote:

> You wont be able to install an NT 3.5 hotfix on XP. Google is the best
> source currently...
>
> I have seen references to this BSOD message relate to counterfeit athlon
> cpu's, certain wireless devices, or corrupt software installs......what is
> your hardware platform? When did this start happening? Did you install
> anything prior to that? Are you using a wireless internet card?
>

> "Harvey" <Harvey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I blow up with a BAD_POOL_HEADER blue screen of death usually when linking
> > some URL, but sometimes at random.
> > A MKB note says this is due to a change in DLC.SYS, and can be fixed by a
> > new NT 3.51 US Service Pack. But that site says it's only for NT
> Workstations
> > and Servers.
> > I'm running XP Home, SP2.
> > Where can I gat a fix for MY system? Or should the NT 3.51 Service pack
> work
> > on my system?
> >
> > Harvey

July 4, 2005 1:07:36 AM

Harvey <Harvey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I blow up with a BAD_POOL_HEADER blue screen of death usually when linking to
>some URL, but sometimes at random.
>A MKB note says this is due to a change in DLC.SYS, and can be fixed by a
>new NT 3.51 US Service Pack. But that site says it's only for NT Workstations
>and Servers.
>I'm running XP Home, SP2.
>Where can I gat a fix for MY system? Or should the NT 3.51 Service pack work
>on my system?
>
>Harvey

When requesting assistance with STOP message please include the STOP
code and all 4 parameters as well as any file or module names that may
be mentioned in the message.

Here is a MSDN article with regard to this error in Windows 2000. It
would apply equally to Windows XP.

"If this is the first time you have booted after installing new
hardware, remove the hardware and boot again. Check the Microsoft
Hardware Compatibility List to verify that the hardware and its
drivers are compatible with Windows 2000. For information about the
hardware, contact the supplier. If you are installing Windows 2000 for
the first time, check the Windows 2000 system requirements, including
the amount of RAM and disk space required to load the operating
system. Also, check the Hardware Compatibility List to verify that the
system can run Windows 2000. If Windows 2000 is loaded and no new
hardware has been installed, reboot with recovery options set to
create a dump file. If the message continues to appear, select the
Last Known Good option when you reboot."

Also make certain that the Error Reporting option is enabled and that
you submit the error report for this item to Microsoft. There may be
a known solution that is not yet published in the Knowledge Base, and
the error reporting tool will get this for you. The error reporting
settings can be accessed via Control Panel - System - Advanced. Click
on the Error Reporting button in the bottom right corner of the
window. Enable it, at least until this problem is checked out, for
both Windows and Programs (all of them).

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 1:07:37 AM

Thanks Ron:

> When requesting assistance with STOP message please include the STOP
> code and all 4 parameters as well as any file or module names that may
> be mentioned in the message.

Here's some stuff I copied down one time it happened.

STOP 0x00000019 (0x00000020, 0x857D9000, 0x857D90E0, 0xA1C0000)

Do you find that helpful? <G>

It also dumped over 100 pages of physical memory to disc. I have no idea
where the dump is, or what to do with it if I found it.

Also, I installed no new hardware, except for some more memory. Is it
possible that could cause the problem? I don't even know what a "pool header"
is!

Harvey

> Here is a MSDN article with regard to this error in Windows 2000. It
> would apply equally to Windows XP.
>
> "If this is the first time you have booted after installing new
> hardware, remove the hardware and boot again. Check the Microsoft
> Hardware Compatibility List to verify that the hardware and its
> drivers are compatible with Windows 2000. For information about the
> hardware, contact the supplier. If you are installing Windows 2000 for
> the first time, check the Windows 2000 system requirements, including
> the amount of RAM and disk space required to load the operating
> system. Also, check the Hardware Compatibility List to verify that the
> system can run Windows 2000. If Windows 2000 is loaded and no new
> hardware has been installed, reboot with recovery options set to
> create a dump file. If the message continues to appear, select the
> Last Known Good option when you reboot."
>
> Also make certain that the Error Reporting option is enabled and that
> you submit the error report for this item to Microsoft. There may be
> a known solution that is not yet published in the Knowledge Base, and
> the error reporting tool will get this for you. The error reporting
> settings can be accessed via Control Panel - System - Advanced. Click
> on the Error Reporting button in the bottom right corner of the
> window. Enable it, at least until this problem is checked out, for
> both Windows and Programs (all of them).
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 4:28:56 AM

The "pool" referred to is a memory pool. It is possible that the memory is
causing the problem....
Take it out and see if the problem goes away. Can you reproduce it at will?
What steps cause the error to be thrown?

!