svchost consumes 100% of CPU on startup

So I startup my computer and it works at a staggeringly slow pace.
Using Process Explorer I've found that an instance of svchost.exe with only
the Dnscache service is consuming my CPU. If I kill the process then the
problem goes away. However, this seems to make other apps like Explorer do
funny things, like take me off line constantly. Also, Dnscache (a Microsoft
product) seems to be an important component of a healthy, internet-connected
Windows XP. Anyone know how I can repair the Dnscache service?

john
15 answers Last reply
More about svchost consumes startup

    http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?st=b&na=88&View=en-us&qu=Dnscache

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    "John Wasserbauer" <JohnWasserbauer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:0C31B614-1F97-4401-8ABC-995DB526D3AE@microsoft.com...
    > So I startup my computer and it works at a staggeringly slow pace.
    > Using Process Explorer I've found that an instance of svchost.exe with
    > only
    > the Dnscache service is consuming my CPU. If I kill the process then the
    > problem goes away. However, this seems to make other apps like Explorer
    > do
    > funny things, like take me off line constantly. Also, Dnscache (a
    > Microsoft
    > product) seems to be an important component of a healthy,
    > internet-connected
    > Windows XP. Anyone know how I can repair the Dnscache service?
    >
    > john

    You can purge the DNS Resolver cache.

    The ipconfig /flushdns command provides you with a means to flush and reset
    the contents of the DNS client resolver cache. Resetting the cache does not
    eliminate entries that are preloaded from the local Hosts file. To eliminate
    those entries from the cache, remove them from the HOSTS file.

    Open a command prompt...
    Start | Run | Type: cmd | Click OK |
    Type or paste this in the command prompt window:

    ipconfig /flushdns

    Hit your Enter key.

    You can then view the DNS cache.

    Type or paste this in the command prompt window:
    ipconfig /displaydns
    Hit your Enter key.
    -----

    [[ Editors Note: in most cases a large HOSTS file (over 135 kb) tends to
    slow down the machine. This only occurs in W2000 and XP. Windows 98 and ME
    are not affected.

    To resolve this issue (manually) open the "Services Editor"

    Start | Run (type) "services.msc" (no quotes)
    Scroll down to "DNS Client", Right-click and select: Properties
    Click the drop-down arrow for "Startup type"
    Select: Manual, click Apply\Ok and restart.
    You can see that the above "Service" is not needed (after a little browsing)
    by opening the Services Editor again, scroll down to DNS Client and check
    the "Status" column. It should be blank, if it was needed it would show
    "Started" in that column. ]]
    From...
    Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:0C31B614-1F97-4401-8ABC-995DB526D3AE@microsoft.com,
    John Wasserbauer <JohnWasserbauer@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
    pecked:
    > So I startup my computer and it works at a staggeringly slow pace.
    > Using Process Explorer I've found that an instance of svchost.exe with
    > only the Dnscache service is consuming my CPU. If I kill the process
    > then the problem goes away. However, this seems to make other apps like
    > Explorer do funny things, like take me off line constantly. Also,
    > Dnscache (a Microsoft product) seems to be an important component of a
    > healthy, internet-connected Windows XP. Anyone know how I can repair the
    > Dnscache service?
    >
    > john

    John,

    This behavior is normal if you have a huge HOSTS file.

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "John Wasserbauer" <JohnWasserbauer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:0C31B614-1F97-4401-8ABC-995DB526D3AE@microsoft.com...
    > So I startup my computer and it works at a staggeringly slow pace.
    > Using Process Explorer I've found that an instance of svchost.exe with
    > only
    > the Dnscache service is consuming my CPU. If I kill the process then the
    > problem goes away. However, this seems to make other apps like Explorer
    > do
    > funny things, like take me off line constantly. Also, Dnscache (a
    > Microsoft
    > product) seems to be an important component of a healthy,
    > internet-connected
    > Windows XP. Anyone know how I can repair the Dnscache service?
    >
    > john

    Dear Richard,

    I apologize if I appeared to try to look like I know what I am doing. I
    don't. I simply tried to read through the other posts and do some leg work
    before soliciting help. Fortunately, for people like me, there are very
    smart and passionate people like you who do know what they're doing and
    respond to calls for help. Unfortunately, your response was not as helpful
    as the other posts to my query; I had already done the search on DNScache,
    discovered what it means, and remained unclear about what action to take.
    However, I thank you for your response and sincerely appreciate your trying
    to help.

    John

    "Richard Urban" wrote:

    > http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?st=b&na=88&View=en-us&qu=Dnscache
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    >

    > "John Wasserbauer" <JohnWasserbauer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:0C31B614-1F97-4401-8ABC-995DB526D3AE@microsoft.com...
    > > So I startup my computer and it works at a staggeringly slow pace.
    > > Using Process Explorer I've found that an instance of svchost.exe with
    > > only
    > > the Dnscache service is consuming my CPU. If I kill the process then the
    > > problem goes away. However, this seems to make other apps like Explorer
    > > do
    > > funny things, like take me off line constantly. Also, Dnscache (a
    > > Microsoft
    > > product) seems to be an important component of a healthy,
    > > internet-connected
    > > Windows XP. Anyone know how I can repair the Dnscache service?
    > >
    > > john

    Wesley,

    Thank you very much for your response. I tried the "ipconfig /flushdns" and
    the "ipconfig /displaydns" commands. Unfortunately both "failed during
    execution". Are these available for the XP Home edition or only XP Pro? At
    any rate, the editor's note about running services.msc and setting the
    service startup to "manual" solved the problem. Many thanks for taking the
    time to help!!

    John

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > You can purge the DNS Resolver cache.
    >
    > The ipconfig /flushdns command provides you with a means to flush and reset
    > the contents of the DNS client resolver cache. Resetting the cache does not
    > eliminate entries that are preloaded from the local Hosts file. To eliminate
    > those entries from the cache, remove them from the HOSTS file.
    >
    > Open a command prompt...
    > Start | Run | Type: cmd | Click OK |
    > Type or paste this in the command prompt window:
    >
    > ipconfig /flushdns
    >
    > Hit your Enter key.
    >
    > You can then view the DNS cache.
    >
    > Type or paste this in the command prompt window:
    > ipconfig /displaydns
    > Hit your Enter key.
    > -----
    >
    > [[ Editors Note: in most cases a large HOSTS file (over 135 kb) tends to
    > slow down the machine. This only occurs in W2000 and XP. Windows 98 and ME
    > are not affected.
    >
    > To resolve this issue (manually) open the "Services Editor"
    >
    > Start | Run (type) "services.msc" (no quotes)
    > Scroll down to "DNS Client", Right-click and select: Properties
    > Click the drop-down arrow for "Startup type"
    > Select: Manual, click Apply\Ok and restart.
    > You can see that the above "Service" is not needed (after a little browsing)
    > by opening the Services Editor again, scroll down to DNS Client and check
    > the "Status" column. It should be blank, if it was needed it would show
    > "Started" in that column. ]]
    > From...
    > Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File
    > http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:0C31B614-1F97-4401-8ABC-995DB526D3AE@microsoft.com,
    > John Wasserbauer <JohnWasserbauer@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
    > pecked:
    > > So I startup my computer and it works at a staggeringly slow pace.
    > > Using Process Explorer I've found that an instance of svchost.exe with
    > > only the Dnscache service is consuming my CPU. If I kill the process
    > > then the problem goes away. However, this seems to make other apps like
    > > Explorer do funny things, like take me off line constantly. Also,
    > > Dnscache (a Microsoft product) seems to be an important component of a
    > > healthy, internet-connected Windows XP. Anyone know how I can repair the
    > > Dnscache service?
    > >
    > > john

    Thanks, Ramesh. What is the location of the HOSTS file that you speak of.
    Is it in
    ~/WINDOWS/system32/drivers/etc ? If so, is 2.4 MB considered big? If so,
    how does it get that way, and how can I avoid it getting too big?

    John

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > John,
    >
    > This behavior is normal if you have a huge HOSTS file.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >
    > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >

    > "John Wasserbauer" <JohnWasserbauer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:0C31B614-1F97-4401-8ABC-995DB526D3AE@microsoft.com...
    > > So I startup my computer and it works at a staggeringly slow pace.
    > > Using Process Explorer I've found that an instance of svchost.exe with
    > > only
    > > the Dnscache service is consuming my CPU. If I kill the process then the
    > > problem goes away. However, this seems to make other apps like Explorer
    > > do
    > > funny things, like take me off line constantly. Also, Dnscache (a
    > > Microsoft
    > > product) seems to be an important component of a healthy,
    > > internet-connected
    > > Windows XP. Anyone know how I can repair the Dnscache service?
    > >
    > > john

    John,

    Jeepers! 2.4MB I thought my HOSTS file was pretty good sized at 288 KB.

    It is ipconfig.exe and it is available on XP Home.

    The /? switch will show Help. I.e. ipconfig /?

    Type or paste ipconfig /? in a command prompt window and see if that works.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:1FD0D8E8-EBCF-4852-B69C-C0BDD04ACED0@microsoft.com,
> [...]
    >> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:0C31B614-1F97-4401-8ABC-995DB526D3AE@microsoft.com,
    >> John Wasserbauer <JohnWasserbauer@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
    >> pecked:
    >>> So I startup my computer and it works at a staggeringly slow pace.
    >>> Using Process Explorer I've found that an instance of svchost.exe with
    >>> only the Dnscache service is consuming my CPU. If I kill the process
    >>> then the problem goes away. However, this seems to make other apps like
    >>> Explorer do funny things, like take me off line constantly. Also,
    >>> Dnscache (a Microsoft product) seems to be an important component of a
    >>> healthy, internet-connected Windows XP. Anyone know how I can repair

    I think the comment about knowledge was part of his signature, not an
    aspersion on you.

    Stephen Diamond

    On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 23:51:01 -0700, John Wasserbauer""

    --
    srd
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    He must have 95% of the internet in there. (-:

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

> [...]
    >>> Hit your Enter key.
    >>> -----
    >>>
    >>> [[ Editors Note: in most cases a large HOSTS file (over 135 kb) tends to
    >>> slow down the machine. This only occurs in W2000 and XP. Windows 98 and
    >>> ME are not affected.
    >>>
    >>> To resolve this issue (manually) open the "Services Editor"
    >>>
    >>> Start | Run (type) "services.msc" (no quotes)
    >>> Scroll down to "DNS Client", Right-click and select: Properties
    >>> Click the drop-down arrow for "Startup type"
    >>> Select: Manual, click Apply\Ok and restart.
    >>> You can see that the above "Service" is not needed (after a little
    >>> browsing) by opening the Services Editor again, scroll down to DNS
    >>> Client and check the "Status" column. It should be blank, if it was
    >>> needed it would show "Started" in that column. ]]
    >>> From...
    >>> Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    <LOL>

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:OPAfB8JgFHA.3132@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Richard Urban <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > He must have 95% of the internet in there. (-:
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > If you knew as much as you thought you know,

    >> John,
    >>
    >> Jeepers! 2.4MB I thought my HOSTS file was pretty good sized at 288 KB.
    >>
    >> It is ipconfig.exe and it is available on XP Home.
    >>
    >> The /? switch will show Help. I.e. ipconfig /?
    >>
    >> Type or paste ipconfig /? in a command prompt window and see if that
    >> works.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:1FD0D8E8-EBCF-4852-B69C-C0BDD04ACED0@microsoft.com,
    >> John Wasserbauer <JohnWasserbauer@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
    >> pecked:
    >>> Wesley,
    >>>
    >>> Thank you very much for your response. I tried the "ipconfig /flushdns"
    >>> and the "ipconfig /displaydns" commands. Unfortunately both "failed
    >>> during execution". Are these available for the XP Home edition or only
    >>> XP Pro? At any rate, the editor's note about running services.msc and
    >>> setting the service startup to "manual" solved the problem. Many thanks
    >>> for taking the time to help!!
    >>>
    >>> John

    <snip>
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    John,

    Yes 2.4MB is considered big. BTW, I could resolve the problem (delay at
    every logon) by simply disabling the DNS Client service.

    --

    message news:0083EDAE-4546-48A3-88FD-FE645DF700A2@microsoft.com...
    > Thanks, Ramesh. What is the location of the HOSTS file that you speak of.
    > Is it in
    > ~/WINDOWS/system32/drivers/etc ? If so, is 2.4 MB considered big? If so,
    > how does it get that way, and how can I avoid it getting too big?
    >
    > John
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> John,
    >>
    >> This behavior is normal if you have a huge HOSTS file.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>
    >> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >>

    >> "John Wasserbauer" <JohnWasserbauer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message news:0C31B614-1F97-4401-8ABC-995DB526D3AE@microsoft.com...
    >> > So I startup my computer and it works at a staggeringly slow pace.
    >> > Using Process Explorer I've found that an instance of svchost.exe with
    >> > only
    >> > the Dnscache service is consuming my CPU. If I kill the process then
    >> > the
    >> > problem goes away. However, this seems to make other apps like
    >> > Explorer
    >> > do
    >> > funny things, like take me off line constantly. Also, Dnscache (a
    >> > Microsoft
    >> > product) seems to be an important component of a healthy,
    >> > internet-connected
    >> > Windows XP. Anyone know how I can repair the Dnscache service?
    >> >
    >> > john

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Wes,

    Apparently I'm typing everything in correctly and it's making an attempt to
    flush the dns cache. The error I get reads:

    Windows IP Configuration
    Could not flush the DNS Resolver Cache: Function failed during execution.

    Are there any automatic flushes that occur under normal operation? Perhaps
    this flush failure is how the file size got out of hand... ? Thoughts?
    Other things to try?

    John

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> [...]
    > >> Hit your Enter key.
    > >> -----
    > >>
    > >> [[ Editors Note: in most cases a large HOSTS file (over 135 kb) tends to
    > >> slow down the machine. This only occurs in W2000 and XP. Windows 98 and
    > >> ME are not affected.
    > >>
    > >> To resolve this issue (manually) open the "Services Editor"
    > >>
    > >> Start | Run (type) "services.msc" (no quotes)
    > >> Scroll down to "DNS Client", Right-click and select: Properties
    > >> Click the drop-down arrow for "Startup type"
    > >> Select: Manual, click Apply\Ok and restart.
    > >> You can see that the above "Service" is not needed (after a little
    > >> browsing) by opening the Services Editor again, scroll down to DNS
    > >> Client and check the "Status" column. It should be blank, if it was
    > >> needed it would show "Started" in that column. ]]
    > >> From...
    > >> Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    John,

    I read somewhere that...
    The default time period for keeping an address in the cache is 24 hours.

    After a little experimenting I have found out why ipconfig /flushdns isn't
    working for you.

    ipconfig /displaydns and ipconfig /flushdns do *not* work with the DNS
    Client service *not* running.

    You have to have the DNS Client service running in order for
    ipconfig /displaydns and ipconfig /flushdns to work properly.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:99623672-66E5-4EF2-BB13-6B55AE8ABDC2@microsoft.com,
    John Wasserbauer <JohnWasserbauer@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
    pecked:
    > Wes,
    >
    > Apparently I'm typing everything in correctly and it's making an attempt
    > to flush the dns cache. The error I get reads:
    >
    > Windows IP Configuration
    > Could not flush the DNS Resolver Cache: Function failed during execution.
    >
    > Are there any automatic flushes that occur under normal operation?
    > Perhaps this flush failure is how the file size got out of hand... ?
    > Thoughts? Other things to try?
    >
    > John
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> John,
    >>
    >> Jeepers! 2.4MB I thought my HOSTS file was pretty good sized at 288 KB.
    >>
    >> It is ipconfig.exe and it is available on XP Home.
    >>
    >> The /? switch will show Help. I.e. ipconfig /?
    >>
    >> Type or paste ipconfig /? in a command prompt window and see if that
    >> works.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:1FD0D8E8-EBCF-4852-B69C-C0BDD04ACED0@microsoft.com,
    >> John Wasserbauer <JohnWasserbauer@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
    >> pecked:
    >>> Wesley,
    >>>
    >>> Thank you very much for your response. I tried the "ipconfig /flushdns"
    >>> and the "ipconfig /displaydns" commands. Unfortunately both "failed
    >>> during execution". Are these available for the XP Home edition or only
    >>> XP Pro? At any rate, the editor's note about running services.msc and
    >>> setting the service startup to "manual" solved the problem. Many thanks
    >>> for taking the time to help!!
    >>>
    >>> John

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Wes,

    Worked like a charm! I am absolutely thrilled to have this issue resolved
    with no remaining mysteries! Wesley, Richard and Ramesh, you have been most
    gracious. On behalf of myself and my family, thank you again for all your
    help!

    Sincerely,

    John Wasserbauer

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > John,
    >
    > I read somewhere that...
    > The default time period for keeping an address in the cache is 24 hours.
    >
    > After a little experimenting I have found out why ipconfig /flushdns isn't
    > working for you.
    >
    > ipconfig /displaydns and ipconfig /flushdns do *not* work with the DNS
    > Client service *not* running.
    >
    > You have to have the DNS Client service running in order for
    > ipconfig /displaydns and ipconfig /flushdns to work properly.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:99623672-66E5-4EF2-BB13-6B55AE8ABDC2@microsoft.com,
    > John Wasserbauer <JohnWasserbauer@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
    > pecked:
    > > Wes,
    > >
    > > Apparently I'm typing everything in correctly and it's making an attempt
    > > to flush the dns cache. The error I get reads:
    > >
    > > Windows IP Configuration
    > > Could not flush the DNS Resolver Cache: Function failed during execution.
    > >
    > > Are there any automatic flushes that occur under normal operation?
    > > Perhaps this flush failure is how the file size got out of hand... ?
    > > Thoughts? Other things to try?
    > >
    > > John
    > >
    > > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    > >
    > >> John,
    > >>
    > >> Jeepers! 2.4MB I thought my HOSTS file was pretty good sized at 288 KB.
    > >>
    > >> It is ipconfig.exe and it is available on XP Home.
    > >>
    > >> The /? switch will show Help. I.e. ipconfig /?
    > >>
    > >> Type or paste ipconfig /? in a command prompt window and see if that
    > >> works.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > >>
    > >> Wes
    > >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >>
    > >> In news:1FD0D8E8-EBCF-4852-B69C-C0BDD04ACED0@microsoft.com,
    > >> John Wasserbauer <JohnWasserbauer@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
    > >> pecked:

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    You betcha, John. Keep having fun. :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes