If you reply to this, please e-mail the answer because I am not sure I can
find this place again. (dorot29701@aol.com) he uses Windows XP

My husbands Dell computer - after the logo - he gets this message.
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
\Windows\System32\config\system

I was able to get the computer to boot from the CD Rom drive using the disk
that came with the computer. I followed the instructions and typed in R --
then I got the command prompt. I could go no further because everything I
typed in gave the message that windows did not recognise that response or
something to that effect. Would appreciate any help. We are both computer
illiterate so please be really specific. Thank you. And does anyone know
what caused this?

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545
How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry That Prevents Windows XP from Starting
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b307654
Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
See also
How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705