EV-DO for $15/month??

Last response: in Network Providers
January 18, 2005 9:48:57 AM

Verizon has been offering an $80 a month service for pretty high speed
internet for your PC. You plug in their PC card and, voila', you have
it in most cities. Great except $80 is a bit steep compared to DSL
($26) or cable ($40).

Now comes the LG VX8000 phone. For only $15 a month, on top of the
normal cellular monthly charges, you can similarly add internet
capabilities to the phone.

So here's the question: I wonder if a cable will exist for the new LG
phone which would run between the phone and a PC. The phone would
"generate" the internet for the PC. Sure, not as convenient as a
plug in card, but tolerable. Particularly for a desktop. Many
current phones, certainly from Verizon, get you very low speed
internet over a similar cable.

So I wonder if someone can get internet over EV-DO for $15 and not
$80 a month. I guess the same question exists for the other
cellular suppliers.

More about : month

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 3:47:16 PM

jimmy1 wrote:
> Verizon has been offering an $80 a month service for pretty high
speed
> internet for your PC. You plug in their PC card and, voila', you
have
> it in most cities. Great except $80 is a bit steep compared to DSL
> ($26) or cable ($40).
>
> Now comes the LG VX8000 phone. For only $15 a month, on top of the
> normal cellular monthly charges, you can similarly add internet
> capabilities to the phone.
>
> So here's the question: I wonder if a cable will exist for the new LG
> phone which would run between the phone and a PC. The phone would
> "generate" the internet for the PC. Sure, not as convenient as a
> plug in card, but tolerable. Particularly for a desktop. Many
> current phones, certainly from Verizon, get you very low speed
> internet over a similar cable.
>
> So I wonder if someone can get internet over EV-DO for $15 and not
> $80 a month. I guess the same question exists for the other
> cellular suppliers.

I am sure that one would be able to us the VX8000. However I reckon
that to use the service will be $15/month but that you will also be
charged for the MBs up/downloaded. I am not sure but I believe with the
$80 service that you do not have to pay for the MBs.

I know for basic net access with vzw that you pay a service fee + KBs
used.

On a related note, will you be able to use the VX7000 on the EDvO
network? AAnd watch videos on it?
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 4:19:49 PM

will wrote:
> On a related note, will you be able to use the VX7000 on the EDvO
> network? AAnd watch videos on it?

At this time no....
January 18, 2005 7:25:17 PM

jimmy1 wrote:
> Verizon has been offering an $80 a month service for pretty high speed
> internet for your PC. You plug in their PC card and, voila', you have
> it in most cities. Great except $80 is a bit steep compared to DSL
> ($26) or cable ($40).

Not to mention that it's not meant for the kind of heavy access that cable and
DSL are. It's meant for casual usage, and I believe Verizon has language in
their contract that prohibits you from using it 24x7.

> So I wonder if someone can get internet over EV-DO for $15 and not
> $80 a month. I guess the same question exists for the other
> cellular suppliers.

It won't happen, and I'd like to remind people that even $26-40 or, yes, even
$80 is cheap compared to what you'd normally pay for a dedicated T-1 or similar
line with that kind of bandwidth (T-1 is 1.5Mbps down x 1.5Mbps up). Sorry, you
can't and won't get that kind of speed for $15/month flat rate (except,
perhaps, maybe as an introductory offer from a DSL or cable provider). If you
expect otherwise, you need to adjust your expectations to match reality.

Businesses, including ISPs and other non-Internet companies like VZW, pay per
the kilobyte for outgoing Internet connections. Cable and DSL are as cheap as
they are because service providers oversubscribe their services, based on the
average user not being connected every second of every day.

Sorry. That's just the way it is.

**SJS (Employee and/or owner of several Internet ventures since 1995)

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 3:47:19 AM

Hello,

Interesting. The following link leads to a review of the phone which states
that there is no way to use the phone as a modem though. :-(

Live long and prosper. Damn the Vulcans for stealing our line.

Andromedan

"jimmy1" <hahn_02493@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Verizon has been offering an $80 a month service for pretty high speed
> internet for your PC. You plug in their PC card and, voila', you have
> it in most cities. Great except $80 is a bit steep compared to DSL
> ($26) or cable ($40).
>
> Now comes the LG VX8000 phone. For only $15 a month, on top of the
> normal cellular monthly charges, you can similarly add internet
> capabilities to the phone.
>
> So here's the question: I wonder if a cable will exist for the new LG
> phone which would run between the phone and a PC. The phone would
> "generate" the internet for the PC. Sure, not as convenient as a
> plug in card, but tolerable. Particularly for a desktop. Many
> current phones, certainly from Verizon, get you very low speed
> internet over a similar cable.
>
> So I wonder if someone can get internet over EV-DO for $15 and not
> $80 a month. I guess the same question exists for the other
> cellular suppliers.

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 4:50:31 AM

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 19:47:19 -0500, Andromedan wrote
(in article <r6iHd.10184$pZ4.4466@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>):

> Hello,
>
> Interesting. The following link leads to a review of the phone which states
> that there is no way to use the phone as a modem though. :-(

> Live long and prosper. Damn the Vulcans for stealing our line.
>
> Andromedan

I read the same article today. (You beat me to posting it!)

If I can't use it as a modem then I've got no use for it. (I was waiting for
it's release too!)

I use my VX6000 for checking e-mail from my laptop and Palm device via a USB
cable. (Bluetooth would be nice for this!)

If I can't get that basic functionality (at ANY speed) from the VX8000 then
what's the point? Cute little 3 minute video clips? (Nice, but I'll be it
gets boring after a few days.)

Also note that the above article states that this phone also doesn't have an
e-mail client or a web-browser. (At least in it's Verizon configuration.)
!