fcastle

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
I am about ready to order the following:

- A64 3200+ Venice
- Connect3d x850xt PCI-E
- Geil Value 2x512MB PC3200 DDR400
- Chaintech VNF4 Ultra mobo

I already bought a windowed Thermaltake Tsunami Dream case so my last item is a PSU. I have searched and searched and have narrowed it down to the following two choices (mainly due to the color scheme I want to achieve):

FSP Fortron Blue Storm 500W - $98 from newegg
MGE XG Vortec 500W PSU - $77 from ZZF

Reasons I like the Blue Storm better:
- dual 12V rails
- 24-pin mobo connector
- 6-pin PCI-E connector

Reasons I like the MGE better:
- silver fan logos (it is overall much more physically striking
- LEDs in the fans
- more metallic blue metal case
- UV mesh over wires (even though the Blue Storm's wire mesh looked identical in normal light, I could not find anywhere confirming it was UV reflective)
- lower price

Please note I do not plan on doing much OCing, if any (thus my choice of the Chaintech instead of the DFI Lanparty NF4). Obviously, my setup is costing a few pennies, but if the Blue Storm is definitely better (or the Vortec would not be good enough), then I do not mind spending the extra cash.

Any thoughts on either PSU or my setup as a whole would be greatly appeciated. Thanks!

I suggest you get a PSU with dual +12 volt rails, if you have a $2 case fan fail and short circuit, the motherboard and/or components added to the motherboard will not be damaged or destroyed.

If a catastrophic failure occurs, you at least have some protection for part of the computer.

Robc1880

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2002
Blue storm will be the better PSU for you. for your motherboard you might want to go for another brand besides chaintech. Chaintech is not that stable. I went through 3 DOA mobo's from newegg and that is what made me switch to the DFI NF4 Ultra-D and I couldn't be any happier.

Robc1880

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2002
the real question is not how much does Chaintech cost, but more like, Are you willing to lose quality and stability to save a few bucks?

Renegade87

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Of the 2, the FSP Blue Storm is a no brainer. MGE PSU's are not recommended. Fortron Source should be on anybody's short list when looking for a PSU.

I have the same case (Tt Tsunami) and am currently running a modded PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 510 Deluxe from <A HREF="http://www.frozencpu.com/psu-81.html" target="_new"> FrozenCPU </A>. The PCP&C TC 510 Deluxe replaced a <A HREF="http://www.frozencpu.com/psu-108.html" target="_new"> Ultra X-Connect 500 </A> which served me well for 6 months or so (and is still running strong in my woman's pc).

It's obvious you want some bling in your PSU. But, the better alternatives would require 3rd. party modding of cables, etc. (FrozenCPU, Performance-pcs, etc.) Which could drive the cost up considerably.

If your budget is that tight, stick with the FSP Blue Storm. You won't be dissapointed.

One last thing. When building your new Rig in the Tsunami, it's easier to mount the PSU before you throw in the mobo (with RAM, CPU, & HSF already installed). You can mount the PSU afterwards, but it will require some careful navigation around the HSF depending on which mobo you get and how close the manufacturer placed the CPU socket to the top of the board.

"The world ends when you're dead. As long as your breathing you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man and give some back."

redaetskcod

Distinguished
May 18, 2005
what do you guys think of the connect-x psu from Ultra? is it worthwhile to get or is it not that good. and I'm not sure it will work on my mobo... what do you think:
MSI K8N NEO4 Platinum nforce 4 ultra pci express, sata, etc...
thanks
LUke