Enabling HYPER THREADING

I recently built a new computer, installed WinXP w/SP2 integrated. Got
the computer up and running and it would lock up randomly. After
troublshooting the problem, I found that my P4E 3.4Ghz processor was only
running at 2.8Ghz...because of a motherboard issue, and only using a
multiplier of 14 with the processor...instead of the correct 17 multiplier. I
Upgraded my motherboard (GA-8KNXP) bios, now it correctly runs at
3.4Ghz...BUT I checked to see if Hyperthreading was working correctly, and it
isn't. I enable it in my bios, but nothing.

I reinstalled WinXP, but I chose the "Upgrade" option...not a complete
wipe and reinstall because if I don't have to, I don't want to reinstall and
update all the other apps I installed. My question is...if I do a wipe and
full reinstall of Win XP will this fix the HT problem. Another question
is...is there any other way to fix this problem if a complete wipe will fix
it? ANY and ALL help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

With HT enabled in the BIOS does it say it has been invoked when you boot
the system and read the info presented on the screen? (Should be visible as
the memory is counted.)

You can boot from the XP CD and do a 'Repair' install and it will do its
thing without screwing with most things. Also, did you install the chipset
drivers for the motherboard? Should be on a CD that came with it.