Booting from CD-ROM on Compaq systems

I've got an old Compaq Deskpro 66M that I received in January 1993.

It does not seem to allow for booting from CD-ROM.

OK, that's fine.

When did Compaq first release systems that could boot from CD-ROM?

--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
5 answers Last reply

    Around 1996-97 for Presarios, if memory serves. Not sure about the
    commercial units but probably about the same time frame.
    FYI, the DeskPro Ms and later XLs are without doubt the most rugged,
    over-engineered Compaq desktops ever made. The Pentium models of both series
    are still being used as file and print servers in many parts of the world
    fully 10 years after they were built.
    HH

    "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Around 1996-97 for Presarios, if memory serves. Not sure about the
    > commercial units but probably about the same time frame.

    I've heard that it was earlier and that Compaq may have used a pre-"El
    Torito" mechanism.
    I'd like to pin this down.

    > FYI, the DeskPro Ms and later XLs are without doubt the most rugged,
    > over-engineered Compaq desktops ever made. The Pentium models of both
    series
    > are still being used as file and print servers in many parts of the world
    > fully 10 years after they were built.

    I have the Deskpro powered down 99+% of the time. I only use it if I have to
    do something with Word macros in Word 6 or Word 7.

    Doubt it. I had a DeskPro XL 466, later transformed into a 5133 via a
    Pentium processor board. It would not boot from CD, only HD, network or
    floppy.

    > "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Around 1996-97 for Presarios, if memory serves. Not sure about the
    > > commercial units but probably about the same time frame.
    >
    > I've heard that it was earlier and that Compaq may have used a pre-"El
    > Torito" mechanism.
    > I'd like to pin this down.
    >
    > > FYI, the DeskPro Ms and later XLs are without doubt the most rugged,
    > > over-engineered Compaq desktops ever made. The Pentium models of both
    > series
    > > are still being used as file and print servers in many parts of the
    world
    > > fully 10 years after they were built.
    >
    > I have the Deskpro powered down 99+% of the time. I only use it if I have
    > do something with Word macros in Word 6 or Word 7.

    My early 1996 Presario 7240 and 4112, 120/133mhz (no direct connection to
    booting, just for reference), would not boot from CD.....

    Dale

    I posted the following in the HP forums:

    http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?admit=716493758+1091553255775+28353475&threadId=652618

    --
    "DEJ57" <dej57@aol.com> wrote in message
    > My early 1996 Presario 7240 and 4112, 120/133mhz (no direct connection to
    > booting, just for reference), would not boot from CD.....
    >
    > Dale

Compaq CD-Rom Systems Computers