No floppy drive available for backup

When I attempt to use the "backup all data on this computer" option in the
WindowsXP, SP2, Backup utility it fails to complete because my laptop does
not have a floppy drive. Is it possible to have Backup create a boot CD
rather than a floppy? My WindowsXP (SP1) is an OEM version, provided by
eMachines, and I do not have a bootable XP disk with repair or other tools.
Emachines provides a Norton Ghost copy of the original image.

I would like to be able to use Backup to create a complete image of my
current OS version and all installed software.
3 answers Last reply
More about floppy drive backup

    You cannot use Backup to create a complete image of your
    OS version and all installed software. I would suggest purchasing
    Norton Ghost for this task.

    Norton Ghost 9.0
    http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/features.html

    Animated Shockwave Ghost tutorial with sound
    http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/tutorial/ghost_2002/2001032917165825_s.html

    How to perform a disk-to-disk clone
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/pfdocs/2001032917165825

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Mike Blake" wrote:

    | When I attempt to use the "backup all data on this computer" option in the
    | WindowsXP, SP2, Backup utility it fails to complete because my laptop does
    | not have a floppy drive. Is it possible to have Backup create a boot CD
    | rather than a floppy? My WindowsXP (SP1) is an OEM version, provided by
    | eMachines, and I do not have a bootable XP disk with repair or other tools.
    | Emachines provides a Norton Ghost copy of the original image.
    |
    | I would like to be able to use Backup to create a complete image of my
    | current OS version and all installed software.

    Thank you.

    > You cannot use Backup to create a complete image of your
    > OS version and all installed software. I would suggest purchasing
    > Norton Ghost for this task.
    >
    > Norton Ghost 9.0
    > http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/features.html
    >
    > Animated Shockwave Ghost tutorial with sound
    > http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/tutorial/ghost_2002/2001032917165825_s.html
    >
    > How to perform a disk-to-disk clone
    > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/pfdocs/2001032917165825
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Mike Blake" wrote:
    >
    > | When I attempt to use the "backup all data on this computer" option in
    > the
    > | WindowsXP, SP2, Backup utility it fails to complete because my laptop
    > does
    > | not have a floppy drive. Is it possible to have Backup create a boot CD
    > | rather than a floppy? My WindowsXP (SP1) is an OEM version, provided by
    > | eMachines, and I do not have a bootable XP disk with repair or other
    > tools.
    > | Emachines provides a Norton Ghost copy of the original image.
    > |
    > | I would like to be able to use Backup to create a complete image of my
    > | current OS version and all installed software.

    The XP backup utility has many limitations, one of which is that it can not
    write to CDs.

    Get a good third-party backup utility, one that runs from a bootable CD
    (since you have no floppy drive). I suggest Acronis True Image version 8,
    but GHOST version 9 should also work.

    By the way, you may not want to backup to CDs, at last not on a routine
    basis. Simple put, CDs are slow. Think instead about getting a USB 2.0
    external drive. Backups to that can be almost as fast as from one internal
    disk to another internal disk. However, occassionally you could mkae a
    backup as a set of spanned images, meaning sized about 650Meg each. True
    Image and GHOST can do this sort of thing. Then, copy the imgaes to CDs or
    to a DVD. I have found writing to disk, verifying the image set, then
    copying it to CDs or DVD to be safer than writing directly to CD.

    "Mike Blake" <k9jri@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > When I attempt to use the "backup all data on this computer" option in the
    > WindowsXP, SP2, Backup utility it fails to complete because my laptop does
    > not have a floppy drive. Is it possible to have Backup create a boot CD
    > rather than a floppy? My WindowsXP (SP1) is an OEM version, provided by
    > eMachines, and I do not have a bootable XP disk with repair or other
    > tools. Emachines provides a Norton Ghost copy of the original image.
    >
    > I would like to be able to use Backup to create a complete image of my
    > current OS version and all installed software.

Floppy Disk Backup Windows XP