Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Skyrim stuttering on 7950

Last response: in Video Games
February 9, 2012 2:05:16 PM

Here are my system specs, in relevant part:

Intel Core i3-2120 3.3 ghz w/ Hyper 212+ Cooler (Stand-in until Ivy Bridge)
XFX Radeon R7950 Double-D @ 1000/1425
16 gb (4x4) Corsair Vengeance @ 1600
Crucial m4 128gb SSD
MSI Z68A-GD65(G3) MB
Corsair TX850M PSU

I am suffering seemingly intractable stuttering/jankiness in Skyrim. The problem's parameters are as follows:

- Only appears to affect first-person perspective. In 3rd-person, everything is smooth, even on Ultra.
- It is most severe when using a bow in first-person. When I nock an arrow and attempt to aim, the bow/arrow will "jank" disturbingly on movement, especially on the vertical axis.
- When I "zoom" with Eagle Eye and Steady Hand, the zoom will feel slow and uneven.
- Also stutters or halts a bit when I am moving quickly in first person, especially when turning or spinning in place.
- The problems appear unresponsive to graphics quality. They occur even at the lowest graphics settings.
- FRAPS says my framerates on Ultra are solidly between 55-60 FPS out in the open, slowing to 30-40 FPS in town. On High, they hover around 60 FPS everywhere. There is no corresponding drop in FRAPS framerate when I experience the stuttering issues.
- GPU temp never climbs above 60. CPU temp never climbs north of 50.
- Occurs with both mouse and XBox 360 controller.

I have reviews other threads on this and other forums re: stuttering, and specifically re: Radeon cards.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/332356-33-6970-stutte...
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/115099-13-skyrim-stut...

I have tried every fix I can find (turned off Mouse Accelleration in both Skyrimprefs and Windows, run in Windowed mode, etc.), to no effect. I have toyed with shadows and completely turned off anti-aliasing, etc., all to no effect.

I am inclined to think this is an AMD driver issue, but other people seem to be able to run the game smoothly on 6000-series cards. Could it be my processor? I realize it's the most likely bottleneck, but CPU-Z shows it running no higher than 80% even on ultra settings.

Anyone have any ideas?

If I can't fix this problem, I am going to go back to playing Skyrim on my 360, where visuals aren't as rich, but movement is buttery and immersively smooth, return the card, and wait for Ivy Bridge and Kepler to roll out in a couple months. If anyone thinks that is the right option either way, please feel free to chime in.

More about : skyrim stuttering 7950

February 9, 2012 4:12:13 PM

try looking for abeta set of drivers on the AMD webby they should sort the problem
Related resources
February 10, 2012 1:39:40 PM

Could be the card drivers, that one's brand new - more likely your dual-core CPU. Skyrim is primarily CPU-bottlenecked.
February 10, 2012 3:39:48 PM

i would be inclined to side with a cpu bottleneck... seriously why pair a high end gpu with a budget cpu. you want a balanced system so you can play everything trouble free.
you cold try new drivers when they arrive but in the mean time add the 1.4 patch and hope for the best... if you still have issues try the nexus forums for performance mods.
February 18, 2012 7:25:18 AM

HEXiT said:
i would be inclined to side with a cpu bottleneck... seriously why pair a high end gpu with a budget cpu. you want a balanced system so you can play everything trouble free.
you cold try new drivers when they arrive but in the mean time add the 1.4 patch and hope for the best... if you still have issues try the nexus forums for performance mods.

I don't think so. I've got a 6 core running at 4.5 with an OCed 7970 and I'm getting this micro stuttering too.

I'm pretty sure it's a gpu driver issue. The drivers for the 7000 series cards are still too new. It seems to be a problem with the 7000 series and Dx9. There are multiple complaints about this in various games, all Dx9 games. Not every Dx9 game has issues, but all of the complaints I've read about this problem are from games running on it. For some reason the 7000 series drivers are dropping frames from Dx9 games.

Batman Arkham City and Saints Row the Third both run at 60fps for me, Skyrim says that it is, but I still get the micro stuttering, especially outdoors.

I really can't see this not getting patched in future drivers, especially since it' s not limited to a single game. Us early adopters will have to be a bit patient and wait for the drivers to get up to speed. That's pretty much par for the course for any brand new graphics card though.
February 18, 2012 9:04:14 AM

well considering that skyrim actualy prefers a quad core to be smooth then i would be suprised if the game wasnt bottlenecking on a dual core... not all games will as there not all cpu bound like skyrim... if you have it try gta 4 and see if you have the same issue...
your rite in that the 7 series cards have new drivers and wont have the optimization that the older cards have. and it may well be entirley down to that. but in the next few days they will release new drivers so hopefully if it is a driver issue it will clear up. if it doesnt then try the bottleneck tests. of dropping the quality settings. and if the fps doesnt increase then you have a cpu bottleneck.

Best solution

February 19, 2012 4:39:18 AM

For me at least, it was a driver issue.

The latest driver fixed the problem completely, there's a new one up on the AMD site that's pre-certified. Runs amazingly well now. I've got it tweaked above Ultra settings with 2k + textures on everything and LOD above max base settings. Even found a couple of 4k textures. Runs smooth at over 60fps, I'm getting around 86fps. [I have Vsync off, so no fps cap.]

Yes, I do have GTA 4, and I ran it just to see. I'm not getting the issue there either with the newest driver. I've never seen the game run so smoothly on any platform.

This card is awesome.

Some High res images:

Spoiler

February 29, 2012 12:14:43 PM

Best answer selected by AxiomPoetica.
!