Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

The Quality of Crysis Gameplay

Last response: in Video Games
Share
February 9, 2012 5:10:25 PM

I just finished playing through the first Crysis after I bought it during the Amazon sale like a week ago. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I've heard many people say that it was only good as a tech demo and the gameplay was lackluster at best, but I thought it was smooth and challenging, certainly better than COD or other fpses I've played- even the story wasn't terrible. I just don't see why the hate.
February 9, 2012 5:20:45 PM

in comparison to the gfx the gameplay let it down is all... potentially it could have been much tighter but i personally found it a little sloppy ans unfocused.
February 9, 2012 5:35:33 PM

its a bit of a matter of personal opinion

personally i loved that it was totally free roaming and didnt make you follow a narrow set path like a lot of these

games do
Related resources
February 10, 2012 1:15:00 AM

It's not "bad" in the sense of like duke nukem forever. It's just not great. It's still a fun game and because of what it stands for, it's one of the best PC shooters ever released. It just doesn't earn those accolades strictly on the merits of its gameplay and storyline.
February 10, 2012 7:28:51 AM

Gameplay of Crysis is not very good. The could have bested the best of games if they would have improved on gameplay. With those graphics they could have done much more than Jungle madness. Also there are not a lot of variety of enemies during the first half of the game. I was *** bored of killing every Korean soldier I met.
February 11, 2012 2:12:33 AM

I got bored of the game, combat just wasn't fun to me, and I could be wrong but I hated how there weren't a lot of assault rifles, the environment and the physics were great tho, bought the whole pack on steam for 30 bucks and I've only played maybe 3 hrs, there are some cool mods tho, weapon mod on desura. Imo stalker call of pripyat with misery mod is better
February 11, 2012 7:01:24 AM

thats part of the problem it wasnt open world.
it just gives the illusion of it by using big maps that have very little in them apart form trees and the objectives..
the game itself is very very linear.
you cant break off and say go help with a fight on another part of the island.
for instance start a new game and try turning round and swimming out to sea... you will go out of bounds pretty quickly...
walk left as soon as you hit the shore line and again you go out of bounds...
meet up with the other squad member instead of running towards the screams wander off and again you go out of bounds.
so it really isnt an open world just very wide maps.
as i say there is very little to do on the maps except follow the main story.
there are no npc's that give side quests or what ever.
just point to point navigation to the next part of the mission...
so no m8 its not an open world or even free roaming for that matter... the gameplay gives the illusion of wide open spaces that can be potentially explored but 1s you try you will find its actualy not made that way...

even if you enter the cheats to make you godlike. if you go out of bounds its not long b4 you find huge areas underdone with basic textures as you would with any game when you stray off the given map...


February 11, 2012 10:26:54 PM

HEXiT said:
thats part of the problem it wasnt open world.
it just gives the illusion of it by using big maps that have very little in them apart form trees and the objectives..
the game itself is very very linear.
you cant break off and say go help with a fight on another part of the island.
for instance start a new game and try turning round and swimming out to sea... you will go out of bounds pretty quickly...
walk left as soon as you hit the shore line and again you go out of bounds...
meet up with the other squad member instead of running towards the screams wander off and again you go out of bounds.
so it really isnt an open world just very wide maps.
as i say there is very little to do on the maps except follow the main story.
there are no npc's that give side quests or what ever.
just point to point navigation to the next part of the mission...
so no m8 its not an open world or even free roaming for that matter... the gameplay gives the illusion of wide open spaces that can be potentially explored but 1s you try you will find its actualy not made that way...

even if you enter the cheats to make you godlike. if you go out of bounds its not long b4 you find huge areas underdone with basic textures as you would with any game when you stray off the given map...



I don't really think open-world was their intent. It seems to me like they just wanted to create enough space to allow for some strategic approach. Semi-linear, if you will.

Like you mentioned - - there isn't too much in the way of NPC interaction. And another criticism I have is the lack of variety in enemy NPC's. There's Koreans, and Koreans in special suits (apart from the aliens). This is something I don't see being that difficult to implement.....FarCry2 did a far better job of creating a diverse array of enemy NPC's with a lot of script variation and personality.

The irony of it, however, being that they created an engine that could easily handle massive open-world maps, and AI scripts that could handle all kinds of navigation over it. Not to mention all sorts of vehicles (VTOLS, choppers, land vehicles, sea vehicles) with great driving characteristics and physics.

They had the tools to make a killer open-world FPS RPG, but it seems that wasn't really the kind of game they wanted to make. Too bad, though.....FPS RPG is my favorite type of game and there really aren't very many to play (FarCry 2, STALKER, and....um.....that's about it......I don't really consider Fallout 3 an FPS in a serious sense of the genre).


Regarding game-play in the mechanical sense of the word, though, I still prefer Crysis to any FPS out there. Scale + FOV + gun-handling + lag-free, responsive movement attributes all work together so well. It is one of the few FPS's that never makes me motion sick. I still enjoy it enough to play through it at least once or twice a year.....I don't think I'll ever get completely tired of it.
February 12, 2012 12:00:31 AM

mcnumpty23 said:
its a bit of a matter of personal opinion

personally i loved that it was totally free roaming and didnt make you follow a narrow set path like a lot of these

games do



lol funny how the second game didn't follow suit. OP do yourself a favor and do not buy the second one, it will only disappoint you. Play warhead, its great but the franchise ends there imo.
February 12, 2012 1:53:45 AM

Stringjam said:
Like you mentioned - - there isn't too much in the way of NPC interaction. And another criticism I have is the lack of variety in enemy NPC's. There's Koreans, and Koreans in special suits (apart from the aliens).


this is exactly what i said...according to a walkthrough...if you try to kill all korean soldiers...there are some 650 of them...

Who wants this type of insane killing spree!! it's no fun.
!