Power Supply Decisions...

redaetskcod

Distinguished
May 18, 2005
Just deciding on what power supply to purchase and trying to determine how much power I need... any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Here's the system that I'm looking to buy:

---AMD Athlon64 3200+ (2.0 GHz) 512k L2 Cache, Socket 939(Retail) *Venice*
---MSI K8N NEO4 Platinum nForce 4 Ultra PCI-Express w/Audio, FireWire Gigabit LAN, SATA-RAID, Dual DDR400 (Socket 939)
---Western Digital Caviar SE 200GB - 7200RPM, 8MB Cache, SATA150 (OEM)
---Sapphire Radeon X800 256MB GDDR3 PCI-Express w/DVI, TV-Out (OEM)
---GeiL Dual Channel 1Gb PC3200 with Blue Heat Spreader (2x 512MB DDR400 , CL=2.5, 8-4-4)
---Pioneer DVR-109 (Black) 16x DVD +/- R/RW, Double-Layer *No Software* (OEM)

Thanks!
Luke

RichPLS

Champion
Any good brand PSU over 400 watt should work.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
Antec TruePower and Fortron Power are two good quality ones at affordable prices.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
They're pretty but I haven't use them so I can't tell you if they have stable voltages. If you read the Power supply FAQs at the top of this forum there are some suggestions there, but what all the guys here at THGC say is to not save money on the PSU because if it fails sometimes it takes more components with it.

Nothing is as easy as it looks

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
Who is saying this? All of a sudden I am starting to hear about this. A few months ago I was trying to find out what PSU to buy and everyone kept telling me, if you can fire up with the PSU that you have, and you don't see any crashing then don't bother to upgrade your PSU. Now it seems that people are starting to say that PSU's can whipe out other components so don't take a chance, buy a sweet one. I am still up in the air on this one. I did upgrade the PSU for my system, but I just build a system with a generice 350W that came with the case, it was a A64 3000, MSI Neo2, eVGA 6600GT. I know its not the beefiest system, but it runs on that PSU just fine.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I had a Sony VAIO and I put 2 hard disks on It an audio card and the usual peripherals that you would have. As soon as the PC was under heavy load it would reboot. I tried to change the PSU but it was not an standard PSU due to the rounded edges on the VAIO case.
My next system had a lot more stuff in it and I had a Raidmax 420W PSU on it and it ran OK.
When I upgraded my system to my current one I asked here in the forums and they told me that I should not have a crappy PSU as for it could give me stability problems and maybe lose a component with the PSU.
You could get lucky and get a solid generic PSU with your case as was my experience, but I think that if you're buying a PSU you might as well buy a good one.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
It looks very solid. It's more than I would spend, I paid $90 for my Fortron Bluestorm 500W, but I see that you can't get those in Canada (at least in the anitec site).
starfishy is Canadian and he was reviewing several canadian sites maybe he has found a PSU that is as good but not as expensive as the Antec you linked to.