Sign in with
Your question

Gaming not working on Bootcamp

Last response: in Video Games
February 9, 2012 8:20:21 PM

Hello,

I am currently running windows 7 HP Boot camp on my December 2009 MBP scoring 5.3 Inerl Core 2 Duo P8700 @ 2.53 Ghz, 4GB ram, 64 Bit oS GeForce 9400M 256mb. When i check with "Can You Run It" it says i should be able to max out Mass Effect 1 and run it however it gets laggy to the point it unplayable.

The only game it will play is Gears of war which i thought would be the more demanding game.

Any advise would be appreciated. Even if its your MBP cant handle it.
February 9, 2012 9:40:52 PM

Sorry, nothing you can do. The GeForce 9400M is a slow budget graphic card. It ranks below the Intel HD 2000 graphics core found in most desktop Sandy Bridge CPUs. The higher end desktop Sandy Bridge CPUs and all the mobile Sandy Bridge CPUs has the faster Intel HD 3000 graphics core.

I tested Mass Effect 1 on my Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 which has an i5-2410m and a nVidia GT 550m. I had no problems with the GT 550m which is a fairly good mid range card. But I decided to test out the Intel HD 3000 graphics core. All I can say is laaaagggggg..... and dropped frames.

You can check out the relative ranking of laptop graphic cards/cores in the following link. Scroll down towards the bottom to find the 9400M or you can do a "Find" on it. It in the 2nd grouping.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-G...

The following link is what little information they have on the 9400M. It's ranked as a low "Class 3" video card.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-9400M-GeFor...

Sorry, but if you want to play games, then you need to buy a laptop with a much better video card, like the GT 550m. It's ranked within the top 10 "Class 2" video cards.

February 9, 2012 11:08:24 PM

Hi :) 

The poster above is correct....MBPs have awful graphics for games.....even a cheap PC or Laptop will have a better chip/card than that....

All the best Brett :) 
!