noisy disk drive

I use SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S and SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616E disk drives.
Usually when either reading a disk, and sometimes when there's no disk in the
drive being used it makes a really loud "roaring" sound. I've looked at other
peoples PCs that use the same type of drives as me and theres doesn't seem to
make this noise even while reading a disk. My computer didn't make the noise
until about a month after I had it. Is there some way I can clean the drives
out? Or do something else to stop the noise?

Sandman

When there is no disk in the drive it isn't running so it cannot be making
the 'roar' you are talking about. Must be something else, like a case fan
maybe(?)
"Austin Adams" <AustinAdams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I use SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S and SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616E disk drives.
> Usually when either reading a disk, and sometimes when there's no disk in
the
> drive being used it makes a really loud "roaring" sound. I've looked at
other
> peoples PCs that use the same type of drives as me and theres doesn't seem
> make this noise even while reading a disk. My computer didn't make the
noise
> until about a month after I had it. Is there some way I can clean the
drives
> out? Or do something else to stop the noise?

So the disk drive doesn't run at all when theres not a disk in the drive?

> So the disk drive doesn't run at all when theres not a disk in the drive?

It shouldn't. If it is, the drive is having some sort of hardware problem.