Skyrim noob

Status
Not open for further replies.

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
....that's me! I know absolutely 'nothing' about the TES series except:
1. They're open world RPG's
2. Oblivion apparently had mind blowing graphics.

Apart from that, zilch!

Over the recent past, I've seen some vids of the PC gameplay on youtube (HD quality) and was quite impressed with the visuals of the game. Graphics is the one most crucial factor which attracts me to titles, more than gameplay, etc. I've also read up on several threads here at Tom's regarding the game. That's what's nudging me to give the game a shot.

The only open world game I've truly liked thus far has been far cry 2. Absolutely loved the visuals! Tried Assassins Creed and played a good 20-25 hours on it but then just dropped it. So my dilemma is should I give Skyrim a shot? I also dunno if my rig (see signature) would run the game on the highest settings. I've read up on some threads that running a full HD monitor, you don't need stuff like AA, etc. My current setup hasn't let me down on any title....yet! Runs almost everything on max settings without frying eggs! :p

Just wondering, should I buy the game? If I do buy it, 1)what to expect from the game and; 2) how well would my rig run it.

Cheer's in anticipation! :)

Solution
Buy the game, mate; your rig should run the game at high details and still get a solid 60ish FPS. On mys system game's running smoothly at 1920x1080, on a weaker video card. Especially since the latest patch the game's FPS increased considerably, especially inside big cities where most of us would experience sudden FPS drops.

What to expect from the game.... Expect anything at all; a good story line, a huge world where you can do anything, random encounters, a lot of side quests with their own story, a living, breathing world right in front of your eyes. I've dedicated more than a hundred hours to this game and still, my main quest line isn't halfway done yet, there is so much to do besides that.

So, my advice: buy the game, and kiss...

Eldd

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Buy the game, mate; your rig should run the game at high details and still get a solid 60ish FPS. On mys system game's running smoothly at 1920x1080, on a weaker video card. Especially since the latest patch the game's FPS increased considerably, especially inside big cities where most of us would experience sudden FPS drops.

What to expect from the game.... Expect anything at all; a good story line, a huge world where you can do anything, random encounters, a lot of side quests with their own story, a living, breathing world right in front of your eyes. I've dedicated more than a hundred hours to this game and still, my main quest line isn't halfway done yet, there is so much to do besides that.

So, my advice: buy the game, and kiss you real life goodbye for a good while, mate.

Solution

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Eldd:
joecarver:
So is it safe to assume that Skyrim is not like far cry 2/ Assassins Creed, in as much as everything gets too darn monotonous? I ask because I still have Assassins creed 2 and brotherhood in mint condition, full with the plastic wrappings and all....reason: I found AC1 to be too monotonous after a while and just stopped playing it, haven't even unpacked AC2/ Brotherhood yet!

Fjiekie:
I normally don't look to FAQ's/ walkthrough's/ guides, etc unless absolutely necessary. But thanks for that anyways. :) I agree that it kills the whole point of the thing.

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009

Glad to hear that! Guess I'll give it a shot then. $40, here I come! Thanks y'all! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.